Ghost Tales of Shakespeare: Legends & Lore

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ghosts News
In summary: A haunted house in Boise is mentioned, as well as ghost stories in a ghost town, a fraternity house, and a fire station. One person used to run a ghost hunters club, but didn't find anything substantial. A book about ghosts is popular among priests, and a museum is being investigated for ghostly activity. In summary, the conversation includes various accounts and discussions about ghosts and haunted places.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Rather than create a new thread for each news report on ghosts, I will post the newest links here on a semi-regular basis. Please feel free to add any interesting stories.

Much ado about ghost stories in Shakespeare:
SHAKESPEARE - They say that on some nights, three murdered miners known as Los Negros walk along the railroad tracks through this dusty ghost town just south of Lordsburg.

Never mind that the railroad tracks are long gone. Ghosts don't bother with details.

http://www.abqtrib.com/archives/news03/101803_news_tales.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Haunted Boise: Stories persist about some spooky places

The oldest written account of a Boise ghost story appeared in The Statesman Nov. 15, 1892. The ominous headline: “A Haunted House — An Uncanny Something in Mr. Black´s Residence — Daniel O´Brien Visited by Spirits.” The article begins with this line: “Boise city can claim the proud distinction of containing a haunted house. At all events, if it is not haunted, there is an uncanny something about it that beggars description.']/quote]

http://www.idahostatesman.com/Features/IdahoHistory/story.asp?ID=51881&S=32 [Broken]

Strange happenings recorded through the years in historic house

"On this particular cold winter morning, Linda prepared for work, while I remained in bed meditating on the day ahead. I was thinking how chilly it had gotten in the night and that I had left the bedroom window fully raised. I was staring at the window thinking I must get up and close it, but just as the thought crossed my mind, I was amazed to watch the window close by itself. It made no sound and came down slowly as though by an unseen hand. It touched the sill in silence."

http://www.newsandsentinel.com/news/story/1027202003_new04_ghost.asp [Broken]

Fraternity members share supernatural tales

Some just don't want to talk about her. Others mention her in hushed tones, not wanting to seem foolish.

And some, like Mike Folkmann, are matter-of-fact about Virginia, the ghost of Sigma Nu.

The Kansas University sophomore and some of his friends have had a few unexplained experiences -- flickering lights, slamming doors and troubled dreams -- that make them think there's something to the ghost story.

http://www.ljworld.com/section/kunews/story/150185 [Broken]

I used to run a ghost hunters club. was fun, and we had some freaky moments, but ultimately nothing substantial ever came of it.

Carol Gist, who lives in 'haunted house,' says her ghosts aren't mean

Carol Gist of Manchester doesn't call herself a ghost hunter.

She says ghost hunters want to call up spirits with seances and look for scary things, and she doesn't do that.

"We aren't interested in doing any of that," Carol said. "We just want to bring closure to the people who have seen the unexplained."

Carol says she became interested in the paranormal several years ago after watching a documentary on the Discovery channel with her daughter.

"I asked her if she believed in ghosts," Carol said. "She said she didn't know."

After discussing it for a while, Carol wondered if she could possibly capture a ghost on film if she went to a cemetery. And she says she did.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1614&dept_id=214830&newsid=10454793&PAG=461&rfi=9 [Broken]

Originally posted by Zantra
I used to run a ghost hunters club. was fun, and we had some freaky moments, but ultimately nothing substantial ever came of it.

What was your most interesting moment or experience?

Ghost book popular among priests

The way Rocco Facchini tells it, thunderous commotion like a freight train crashing into the downstairs kitchen jolted him from sleep in the Chicago rectory where he lived one unforgettable, sweltering night in August 1956.

The walls of his second-floor bedroom trembled, the floor shook, furniture moved and the lights flickered. But when Facchini and another Roman Catholic priest ran downstairs to investigate, they found nothing.

The kitchen was in perfect order. Not a pot, pan or dish out of place. No intruder. Not a soul.

Well, almost.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-muld11.html [Broken]

Lauderdale firefighters tell tales of ghostly presence

FORT LAUDERDALE -- When firefighters close the door on 77 years of history to move into a new station next month, they say they'll be leaving more than just decades of tradition and memories behind. There's also that other thing. The ghost.

"Roll'n all night since 1927," declares a sign in the dining area of the old Westside Station, now called Station 8. By the end of next month, Fort Lauderdale firefighters will move into a new station on Northwest Second Street, Fire Chief Otis Latin said.

If historic and civic groups have their way, the city-owned station will become a firefighters' museum, but that City Commission decision has yet to be made.

Meanwhile, the buzz about the ghost they'll leave behind has grown louder.

The old station is not an unlikely place for a ghost.

One of Fort Lauderdale's earliest, the Sailboat Bend station at 1022 W. Las Olas Blvd., was built when city pioneer Frank Stranahan was on the City Commission, and notable architect Francis Abreu was designing most of the city buildings in town.

He drew the cozy Westside Station to look like the houses around it, a customary practice in those days, historian Merrilyn Rathbun recounts. Inside and out, it's almost indistinguishable from a single-family home, with a dining room, kitchen, living room and bedrooms branching off the hallway. Only the giant engine bay makes the building's purpose clear.

And at some point, firefighters say, a ghost settled in. [continued]

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-chaunted08mar08,0,2533260.story?coll=sfla-news-broward [Broken]

Hunt is on for street's ghosts

GHOSTBUSTERS are to investigate mysterious bumps in the night at Glasgow's Museum of Transport.
The Evening Times reported how museum security guard Bill Mutch had experienced weird incidents on the replica street near the main museum entrance.
Now ghostbusters equipped with night-vision cameras and thermometers are to investigate the ghostly goings on which include children's screams, balls of blue light and sightings of a headless female. [continued]

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/hi/news/5024825.html [Broken]

Haunted trolley car turns 100

VANCOUVER - The famous old black and white photograph shows a shadowy male figure climbing onto the steps of an electric streetcar being moved into the Old Spaghetti Factory restaurant, under construction at the time.

The 1969 picture stumped everyone who saw it-not only was there no one on the steps when the photo was taken, but blurry details of the streetcar are visible through the ghostly apparition. [continued]

http://www.staging.canada.com/vancouver/story.html?id=6149e880-c279-4e86-8432-a3f75db186a1 [Broken]

Haunted house resident organizes Web site for paranormal

...Some people would laugh off such experiences, chalk them up to nerves or -- if they were sufficiently unnerved -- put the house up for sale. Fritz, though, took what she considered a more practical approach -- she went looking for people who had had similar experiences. In January 2002, she and her daughter, now 22, created a Web site devoted to the paranormal. [continued]

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04097/296592.stm [Broken]

Trailer-Park Ghosts

Underachieving Apparitions With No Home to Haunt

It's bad enough to be undead. But what if you're damned for all eternity to a dump?

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/WolfFiles/wolffiles240.html

Ghost Hunter Interview from NPR

If I spent eternity in a trailer park or a garbage dump then I would know that I must have done a real bad thing. :devil:

Here is an NPR interview from All Things Considered

Commentator Jake Warga belongs to a ghost-hunting group. They investigate reports of strange noises in old houses -- and about once a month, they visit a cemetery late at night.

Requires Real Player or Windows Media Player:
http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1899695

Lake County Jail oozes with oddness

LEADVILLE - When there's something strange in the neighborhood - who you going to call?

Calls might not help, because for more than a week, reports of the oddest sort have emanated from inside the Lake County Jail, where trustees and department employees tell of bizarre events that have left even the most hardened and skeptical deputies scratching their heads.

"There have been occasional strange things that have transpired here in the past," said Sheriff Ed Holte in the wake of the most recent series of unusual episodes. "This is an old jail, and considering the things that have gone on in here, I accept that it's possible, but I haven't seen it."

But jail trustees Scott Gordon and Frank Musslewhite, who had been at best skeptical of things paranormal, are now thoroughly convinced the dead have returned to haunt the lockup. An apparent increase otherworldly activity culminated in the recording of disembodied voices on tape and a closet full of freak physical manifestations, possibly pointing to the presence of an unseen visitor from the nether realm.

In short, the Lake County Jail appears to have a ghost. [continued]

http://www.vaildaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040612/NEWS/106120008&rs=2 [Broken]

Where do ghosts play? On a golf corpse, of course

...At Seattle's Glenacres golf course, hundreds of people have reported seeing the same apparition over the past 20 years or so. It is that of a gaunt, naked Indian performing a twisting dance on the path to the golf course. While a sight like that would barely muster a second glance at Swallow Creek, what makes this Shaman a real attention-getter are his stylized gyrations that hover slightly above ground. Seattle police have actually converged at various times upon reports of the whirling, chanting Indian only to find he had vanished into thin air. [continued]

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/Stories/0,1413,101%7E6295%7E2279553,00.html [Broken]

I stumbled across this website the other day. It has numerous posts on reported hauntings, as well as links to some "ghost cams".

Thought I'd share.

http://www.midiowa.com/cight/Ghost%20News.htm [Broken]

how about ghost stories from family or friends :smile:

my husband's mother (i guess my mother in law now :biggrin: ) has a claim of seeing an old man rocking in a rocking chair in a landfill she and her brother were once walking by as youngsters...

my step-mother stayed in a Louisiana bed-n-breakfast and saw a well known friendly ghost...

an old roommate's mother of mine owns a house in historic Oregon City that a spirit still occupies-a former resident still dwells in this 100 year old house...about a year ago i was in this house with my ex-roommate to help clean it up for a new set of renters, i was really hoping to experience this spirit that was residing in it, but had no luck...

wow...interesting all of these mothers i know have had these experiences...

I have met quite a few people who have experienced ghostly phenomena. Tsu and I have experienced something very strange as well. I am inclined to say that it was a ghost but, I really don't know what it was. Though we never saw any apparition, thank God, I can certainly see why someone would say that it was a ghost. We talked about all of this in another thread.

I had posted in another thread some of the supposedly true stories my mother told me when I was a child. I think she's the reason I enjoy reading about hauntings and the paranormal.

Of course I can't tell them the way she did. :(

Maybe I can find them so I don't have to rewrite them.

I also had an unexplainable encounter a couple of years ago. I was so amazed I called my daughter to tell her.

Of course zooby told me it was either a frontal or temporal lobe seizure, I can't remember which. :grumpy:

Thanks zooby! :wink:

Md. Courthouse Employees Hunt Ghost

Fri Aug 6, 9:27 PM ET

CHESTERTOWN, Md. - The word "ghost" is hot on the lips of Kent County Court House employees. A new $75,000 security system installed July 1 hasn't caught any criminals, but it did capture some haunting images of what appears to be a strange light "walking" in one stairwell.

"It didn't show up to the eye, but it showed up on tape," said security officer Phillip Price.

Security personnel first saw the light while looking at a surveillance tape recorded July 29, and it appeared live for more than an hour the next day.
continued -

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=816&ncid=816&e=7&u=/ap/20040807/ap_on_fe_st/ghost_kent_county [Broken]

I want to see the tapes. Unless they find a cause, I imagine we will see this on TDC soon enough. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
I imagine we will see this on TDC soon enough. :biggrin:
I'm sure it will be some electronic glitch.

Speaking of TDC, a local paranormal investigation duo has been on several of those specials and has been doing an investigation of a haunting in Vilisca GA that will be featured on the Sci Fi Channel's new program "Proof Positive" this month.

They have this photo posted from that investigation. "An apparition of whom we believe to be is the murderer, captured on black & white film. The apparition is standing in the middle of a twin bed located in the children's room. This photo was captured during MPR's 3rd visit to the house while participating in the documentary filming of "Villisca: The Untold Story". Just prior to this photo being taken, the "white light" was called down for protection. The corner of the photo shows a bright white light which we cannot explain at this time; there was nothing obstructing the view between the camera and the far corner of the room where the apparition stands. "

I think it kind of looks like the negative image of a chair back. What do you think?

http://millersparanormalresearch.com/photos/0437998-R1-020-8A.jpg

This is the website http://millersparanormalresearch.com/

Church celebrates its haunted history

KANSAS CITY, Missouri (AP) -- As the legend goes, St. Mary's Episcopal Church is haunted by the ghost of Father Henry David Jardine, a 19th century priest whose footsteps still echo throughout the Gothic-style sanctuary. [continued]
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/10/30/haunted.church.ap/index.html [Broken]

Ivan, I thought this may be of interest to you :smile:

Thompson Road House. Former residence, now a McMenamin’s club, haunted by eccentric former owner, who has been seen, heard and felt. Electronics affected

From Western Oregon and the Oregon Coast Hauntings

Looking forward to it! :biggrin:

Kerrie said:
Looking forward to it! :biggrin:

:uhh: Us too...I think...

Ghosts stalk Thai tsunami survivors

"Go to Kata Beach", the seven foreign tourists told him, after agreeing on a 200 baht fee. He drove a while, but then felt numb all over his body. Looking around he saw the cab was empty. He had had what he thinks was an encounter with the ghosts that many say are haunting the beaches and resorts on Thailand's Andaman coast.

...Such reports, according to psychologist Dr Wanlop Piyamanutham, are signs of post traumatic stress disorder. He pointed to the fact that many stories started to appear about 10 days after the wave struck. [continued]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4202457.stm

Kerrie said:
how about ghost stories from family or friends :smile:

my husband's mother (i guess my mother in law now :biggrin: ) has a claim of seeing an old man rocking in a rocking chair in a landfill she and her brother were once walking by as youngsters...

my step-mother stayed in a Louisiana bed-n-breakfast and saw a well known friendly ghost...

an old roommate's mother of mine owns a house in historic Oregon City that a spirit still occupies-a former resident still dwells in this 100 year old house...about a year ago i was in this house with my ex-roommate to help clean it up for a new set of renters, i was really hoping to experience this spirit that was residing in it, but had no luck...

wow...interesting all of these mothers i know have had these experiences...

When I was a child, my mother claims she saw the same ghost twice. Once it was walking next to the pool in our backyard at night. The other it was standing at the foot of my brother's bed watching him sleep.

If I ever saw that I'd probably scream like a little gir.

Ghosts in the machine

I once attended a lecture on imprinting how events can be 'superimposed' upon particular areas, especially emotionally charged ones, highly speculative but a very interesting explanation for ghosts; I think the sheer weight of anecdotal evidence for ghosts, and the fact that it appears to be a global phenomina, means there should be serious scientific research into this; in the UK where I live in Hampshire - Incidently them most haunted county in the most haunted country in the world- there are several societies set up to explore paranormal phenomina scientifically, unfortunately to prove anything in there field they need to be more rigorous than any scientist in more mainstream fields, but some very interesting and anaomalous results have been found. I once attended a lecture from a Cambridge fellow who was using a horse tranquiliser to simulate near death experience, his results indicated that we all experience these things near death and that you can even stimulate near death experiences in anyone: anyway back to ghosts, the ignorance and downright blinkered parts of the scientific coomunity need to get off there high horse and start acknowledging that something bizarre is going on, and that the evidence all be it non scientific is overwhelming, let's find out what if anything is behind Ghosts, ESP, or whatever before we dismiss it so arbitrarily, after all aren't we meant to be exploring the unknown, what makes QM any more credible than ghosts? :smile:

Louis Cypher said:
I think the sheer weight of anecdotal evidence for ghosts, and the fact that it appears to be a global phenomina, means there should be serious scientific research into this

How would you propose this research be carried out?

Ghosts most certainly are real, but they'll have to be scientifically explainable before any research will be done on them. Which is abit of a catch 22 to put it mildly.

Last edited:

The way it is currently researched using infrared and conventional cameras, sophisticated sound recording devices, and electromagnetic detectors, simply place recording instruments in areas where sitings are frequent like the architypical 'haunted mansions' etc and see if any data is collected.

I've seen footage of what looks like a ghost walking slowly across a mansion houses grounds, caused quite a stir among the researchers at the time, shame it turned out to be a leaf blowing across the camera :smile:

Anyway we need some objective scientific research; in England the psyclical Research Centre do stirling work but there needs to be more. If we can proove ghosts as simple delusions or esp as bogus or anything for that matter it will give us an insight into the human mind, and hey who knows it might all be true? :smile:

Last edited:
Back