Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ghosts Like Computers!

1. Aug 26, 2005 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

Wow 3 days ago I just left my computer to bring a cup of tea for myself, but when I came back :bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye:

lots of windows were opened and the place of files on the desktop were changed :uhh: :uhh: :uhh:

Please tell me they were done by a ghost! :cry: :cry: I :!!) ghosts!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2005 #2

wolram

Gold Member

No joking, i have a ghost, or a some thing.

4. Aug 26, 2005 #3

Lisa!

Gold Member

Tell me more about him/her, Sir! :smile:

5. Aug 26, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

There is not much to tell, little or unimportant things go missing, and sure
    not lost by me, and an awfull feeling when on the landing, Kia has seen
    it, i have not, but i am sure it watches me when i am in bed, i can feel
    it looking.

6. Aug 26, 2005 #5

Lisa!

Gold Member

AWful feeling, Sir?

7. Aug 26, 2005 #6

wolram

Gold Member

Like when you know some thing bad is going to happen.

8. Aug 26, 2005 #7

Lisa!

Gold Member

OH Sir, you mean you don't like ghosts?:grumpy:

9. Aug 26, 2005 #8

wolram

Gold Member

I dont know any so im not sure :confused: if it put some of my stuff back
    i would like it some :tongue:

10. Aug 26, 2005 #9

Lisa!

Gold Member

If I were you, I'd feel happy that my items were useful or interesting for a lovely ghost.

11. Aug 26, 2005 #10

wolram

Gold Member

What can a ghost do with a credit card and a4 sized envelopes :confused:

12. Aug 26, 2005 #11

Lisa!

Gold Member

For sure nothing if it's your credit card! :wink:

13. Aug 26, 2005 #12

wolram

Gold Member

I will have you know i have the equivlent of 10,000,000 turkish lira in my account

14. Aug 26, 2005 #13

Lisa!

Gold Member

Nice jokes, Sir! :wink:

15. Aug 26, 2005 #14
    When things go missing, get moved mysteriously, or other stuff like that happens, it is a good idea to first suspect someone in the vicinity is having some sort of "spell", where they do things without remembering them.

This happened to me quite a bit a few years back. Things seemed to disappear on me, and things were changed from their normal places.

I had no idea I was the culprit untill one day a guy who lives in the building mentioned something to me about my plans for thanksgiving. I was baffled and wondered if he'd been reading my mind. Somewhat alarmed, I asked him how the hell he happened to know what my thanksgiving plans were. Equally baffled, he told me I had told him about them earlier in the day. I absolutely couldn't remember the conversation at all.

I still don't know what was causing these little bouts of amnesia - some kind of stress or sleeping badly, or what, but I seemed to be experiencing a big weakness in automatically recalling certain things I'd done casually. If I did anything without paying full attention, it might end up not "sticking" in my memory at all, such that I couldn't seem even to access the vague impression that it was something I'd done.

So, in that state of mind, you might suddenly decide to put a credit card in a "safe" place, or to open a bunch of windows for one reason or another, and then, moments later, not be able to recall that you did it at all.

This hasn't happened in quite a few years, and the main difference between then and now is that I'm quite a bit less stressed than I was then, so I think that is an important factor in causing it.

16. Aug 26, 2005 #15

wolram

Gold Member

Hi Zooby,

What you wrote is fascinating, but the, "lost", items never turned up, i all ways
    kept the credit card in one place in my bedroom, and only ever used it for internet banking so it never left the room, but being a small item i guessed
    it was just one of those things, the envelops were A4 size and i kept them
    in the top draw of a cabinet, i know they were still there the day before i
    went to get one, i even asked every one in the house if i had used them or
    seen me with them. the most confusing one was a shoe, i keep two pairs of
    shoes in my room and one shoe disappeared, we searched the house from
    top to bottom even the out house garage and dustbin with no luck, if i did
    remove any of the items what the heck did i do with them ? :confused:

17. Aug 26, 2005 #16
    It doesn't have to be you, Wolram. Anyone who has access in the house could be having this sort of "spell".

I spent hours searching for some of the things that went missing, only to find them by accident months later. Once I opened the refridgerator to find, to my complete surprise, I'd put a hammer in there. That time, though, it came back to me: I'd been walking past the fridge with the hammer to put it away in the garage, had a sudden urge for a munchie, and set it on the shelf in there while I grabbed the food, then forgot all about it.

Here, again, it was something I was doing on impulse without thinking much about it: I noticed the hammer where I'd last set it down, decided to put it away, and then, equally on impulse, got distracted by food on the way.

The whereabouts of these things all turned out to be pretty much irrational, and I think it was the result of similar starting out with a rational goal, and then getting distracted by something else on the way. The things might be under the seat of someone's car, or they might have taken them away, who knows where or why. I think it must be a bit like sleepwalking: what you're doing probably makes sense to you at the time but you must be in sort of a trance so there's no guarrantee it would make any sense to you later.

The other explanation, of course, is that you may have been visited by a peculiar burglar: someone more interested in the thrill of invading someone elses space than they are in taking valuables. Hence: the envelopes and the shoe as mere "trophies." I suppose such a thing could happen.

18. Aug 26, 2005 #17

wolram

Gold Member

To be honest, Zooby, any explanation would be ok, as long as it proves i am
    not crazy, the over riding fact is i fear going to sleep with my door open.

19. Aug 26, 2005 #18

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Wolram, we're a perfect match, my stuff also keeps disappearing. :grumpy:

20. Aug 26, 2005 #19

wolram

Gold Member

Oohhh i am all speechless, the thought of a perfect match, my mind has turned
    to jelly, help me EVO

21. Aug 26, 2005 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've had times like that when I'm under a lot of stress. I chalk it up to my mind being on overload already, and anything I can do on "autopilot" is done without really processing it into memory. Oh, those stress hormones don't really help either. We had a saying in grad school: stress makes you stupid. On the other hand, sometimes that stress-induced amnesia can be helpful; when the stressful event is over, you can happily forget most of the bad experience.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?