Sauteing Spinach - Tips & Tricks for a Giant Bag

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, Danger recommended blackening mushrooms and garlic and adding bacon bits, Sourabh recommended boiling and cooling spinach, and I recommend adding just a dab of hot sauce and tasting it first.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I am thinking about trying to saute this big bag of spinach I got on sale. I'm not sure how to go about it. Anyone want to recommend oil and seasonings for this?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't help you, honey. My approach to spinach is to boil the hell out of it, and then eat it after it has cooled to room temperature or below.
Rather than sauteing it, have you thought about just washing it off and making a Caesar salad with it?
If you are determined to saute (which I have never heard of being done to spinach), I would recommend that you blacken some 'shrooms and garlic in the butter, and add some bacon bits. I don't know about anyone else's tastes, but that would work for me.

Thanks, Danger. That does sound yummy. Although, I was hoping to maybe use olive oil since that's supposed to be good for you.

Nice idea, Sourabh N. I didn't even think about Indian style.

Math Is Hard said:
I was hoping to maybe use olive oil since that's supposed to be good for you.

Well, you know my standpoint regarding things that are supposed to be good for you. :rolleyes: I've survived for nearly 55 years subsisting upon substances that are guaranteed to kill you in less than a decade. My 3 food groups consist of meat, beer, and nicotine.
Anyhow, my suggestion should work as well with olive oil as with butter, but it just won't taste quite as good. (By the bye, though, I actually use canola margarine rather than dairy butter; the taste is the same and it doesn't go rancid if you leave it too long.)

Danger said:
Well, you know my standpoint regarding things that are supposed to be good for you. :rolleyes: I've survived for nearly 55 years subsisting upon substances that are guaranteed to kill you in less than a decade. My 3 food groups consist of meat, beer, and nicotine.

And Aftershocks!

hmmm.. I wonder if I could do something with hot sauce... Is hot sauce appropriate for spinach? It works on collards.

Math Is Hard said:
And Aftershocks!

hmmm.. I wonder if I could do something with hot sauce... Is hot sauce appropriate for spinach? It works on collards.

My dear... it's your food and your tastebuds. If you're uncertain about hot sauce, try adding just a dab or two at first and see how you like it. It's always easier to add more than to take away an excess (in culinary arts, that is; the situation is the opposite in carpentry).

i always liked spinach as a dieting binge food. just eat it straight out of the bag. :)

Proton Soup said:
just eat it straight out of the bag. :)

I tried that only once. It turned out that I don't like raw spinach, but I got a really nice protein boost from the slugs that were living in it.

Danger said:
I tried that only once. It turned out that I don't like raw spinach, but I got a really nice protein boost from the slugs that were living in it.

u actually ate raw spinach ?

that wasnt that good a idea

Spinach and potato combinations of the type recommended by Sourabh N are yummy.I often order a side dish of saag aloo with a take away curry.For a simple,quick though not quite so tasty recipe try the following.

Parboil some diced potatoes and set aside.(I like them in big chunks)
Fry an onion until it softens and starts to caramelise.
Add some ready made curry paste or powder and fry for about one minute.
Add tomatoes(tinned are good)and potatoes.
Add spinach bit by bit so that it wilts.
Simmer gently until the potatoes are completely cooked.Add seasoning.Top up with water if necessary.
Eat.

Last edited:
sachinism said:
u actually ate raw spinach ?

Yeah, when I was a kid. We ate all kinds of things straight from the garden. I really prefer spinach boiled and chilled, but it's not bad raw. We would also pull up carrots and chomp on them. If there was too much dirt clinging to them, we'd give them a quick swipe across our trousers to brush it off. If you pop a pea pod at the stem end and then run your thumb down the inside, you can fire the little buggers straight into your mouth like machine-gun bullets. Even potatoes... while I prefer them mashed, I have enough Irish blood that I also like them raw with a bit of pepper and tonnes of salt. (I put tonnes of salt on everything except ice-cream, and that's an exception only because I don't eat ice-cream.)

sachinism said:
u actually ate raw spinach?

Why not? It's served at most major restaurants in salads. They do wash it!

Math is Hard, my Mom has a great recipe for a bean soup that includes quite a bit of spinach, about 1 cup of cut spinach per quart of soup. I'd say just make your favorite bean soup (she uses navy beans) and add the spinach. After washing, she removes the stems, and cuts it into dime to quarter-sized pieces, before adding to the soup about 15 minutes before serving.

Home grown garden spinach might be better then store bought that had the salmonella scare. My Ma makes sautéed spinach sometimes, but I actually like canned the best.

If you are looking for easy, just saute olive oil and garlic. Quite tasty imo.

Also, I really dig spinach lasagna. But that is not all that great for you given all the cheese, but cheese is so good... One of my favorites for raw spinach is a spinach, walnuts, chicken and raspberry vinaigrette. Tasty!

Last edited:
Norman said:
If you are looking for easy, just saute olive oil and garlic. Quite tasty imo.

Also, I really dig spinach lasagna. But that is not all that great for you given all the cheese, but cheese is so good... One of my favorites for raw spinach is a spinach, walnuts, chicken and raspberry vinaigrette. Tasty!

Aaaahhhh...what Norman said :!)

Math Is Hard said:
I am thinking about trying to saute this big bag of spinach I got on sale. I'm not sure how to go about it. Anyone want to recommend oil and seasonings for this?

Thanks.

The only advice I have is a little late: Always avoid the after-halloween sales - now you have to hang onto the bag for almost an entire year.

Olive oil and garlic gets my vote! (Easy for a bachelor.) Those are my veggies tonight.

Math Is Hard said:

Thanks.
I love it done as if you were going to make oysters rockefeller, except without the oysters.

I melt some butter in a large skillet (you can use olive oil instead), sautee the frozen spinach until it thaws (no need to defrost), squeeze in some lemon and hot sauce to taste, sprinkle in Progresso seasoned Italian bread crumbs and a bit of grated parmesan to taste, add more butter or water if it gets too thick, season with salt and pepper. I've been eating this for 30 years, unless when I eat canned spinach out of the can, which I did at 4am this morning, I had a craving.

Pesto? From what I have heard, you can make pesto out of any green, even excess lettuce if one so wants to ruin it that way... And pesto uses olive oil. :D

MIH is a bit too early for the spinach recipe. An absentee property owner from RI promises not only to bring up some nice Italian bread when he comes to Maine next time - he also promises to bring an Italian specialty dish - spinach pie. He claims that my wife and I will flip over it, and he'll give us the recipe.

I walk my dog past his place up here (which is for sale) and I noticed yesterday that someone had been tipping the branches of his blue spruce trees, and there were tire tracks all over that yard, so I gave him a call. Promises of food ensued.

I appreciate the recipe ideas. Thanks. I tried something simple to start - just a bit of olive oil, some red pepper, garlic, squeeze of lemon, and salt and pepper. Not bad.

Math Is Hard said:
I appreciate the recipe ideas. Thanks. I tried something simple to start - just a bit of olive oil, some red pepper, garlic, squeeze of lemon, and salt and pepper. Not bad.

Alright then, you are officially a good cook. Please marry me.

Danger said:
Alright then, you are officially a good cook. Please marry me.

I am getting better, but I am not yet worthy of you.

Last night I made the spinach again, but a more Asian version. First I sauteed crushed garlic and cayenne in a tblsp canola oil. When the pan was hot I added the spinach, stirred, and let it cook covered for about a minute. Then I took it off the heat and stirred in a half teasp. of sesame oil and some salt and pepper.

The sesame oil made a tremendous difference in the flavor.

Math Is Hard said:
I am getting better, but I am not yet worthy of you.

Last night I made the spinach again, but a more Asian version. First I sauteed crushed garlic and cayenne in a tblsp canola oil. When the pan was hot I added the spinach, stirred, and let it cook covered for about a minute. Then I took it off the heat and stirred in a half teasp. of sesame oil and some salt and pepper.

The sesame oil made a tremendous difference in the flavor.

aaaaahh sesame oil :!)

1. How do I properly prepare the spinach before sauteing?

Before sauteing spinach, make sure to thoroughly wash the leaves and remove any tough stems. For a giant bag of spinach, you may need to do this in batches. Once washed, pat the leaves dry with a clean kitchen towel or use a salad spinner to remove excess water.

2. What type of oil should I use for sauteing spinach?

For sauteing spinach, it is best to use a high smoke point oil such as canola, avocado, or grapeseed oil. These oils can withstand high heat without burning and will help to evenly cook the spinach.

3. How long should I saute the spinach for?

The cooking time for sauteing spinach will vary depending on the size of your pan and the amount of spinach you are cooking. However, a good rule of thumb is to cook the spinach for about 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until it has wilted down and is bright green in color.

4. Can I add any additional seasonings or flavors to the sauteed spinach?

Yes, you can add various seasonings and flavors to the sauteed spinach to enhance its taste. Some popular options include garlic, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, and parmesan cheese. Experiment with different combinations to find your favorite.

5. How can I prevent the spinach from becoming soggy while sauteing?

To prevent the spinach from becoming soggy, make sure to saute it in a hot pan with a small amount of oil. This will help to quickly cook the spinach without steaming it. Also, avoid overcrowding the pan with too much spinach at once, as this can also lead to sogginess. Cook in batches if needed.