Giant Magellan Telescope GMT Announcement

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter meteor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary: No, I don't think it is possible to image it with current technology, although it would be interesting to try.
meteor
http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/work_begins_mgto.html
When it's complete, the Giant Magellan Telescope (GMT) will be the world's largest observatory, with a primary mirror 25.4 metres (83 feet) across - 4.5 times the collecting power of any telescope on Earth
The GMT will have ten times the resolution of the Hubble Space Telescope

I hope that this monster can be able to see the Population III stars and who knows, perhaps also the last scattering surface?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
meteor said:
http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/work_begins_mgto.html

I hope that this monster can be able to see the Population III stars and who knows, perhaps also the last scattering surface?

meteor the last scattering surface is at around z = 1100, is it not?
am I missing something?
isn't the Magellan an optical telescope----visible light.

so what kind of signal would be coming from the last scattering surface
that Magellan would pick up?

Oh, maybe I see what you mean.
an Xray object which happens to be at the same distance as the LSS.
I personally can not think of any Xray object that might have existed that long ago, when the universe was 300,000 years old.
But suppose one existed (long before stars and galaxies condensed)
and sent us some Xray light----from z=1000---and that light was redshifted by a factor of 1000 and became visible light and was received by Magellan.

then Magellan would be seeing some Xray object at the same distance as the LSS of the CMB.

but it is a stretch for me to imagine. maybe you can clarify, if you can imamgine it more concretely than this

Last edited:
marcus said:
Oh, maybe I see what you mean.
an Xray object which happens to be at the same distance as the LSS.
I personally can not think of any Xray object that might have existed that long ago, when the universe was 300,000 years old.
But suppose one existed (long before stars and galaxies condensed)
and sent us some Xray light----from z=1000---and that light was redshifted by a factor of 1000 and became visible light and was received by Magellan.

then Magellan would be seeing some Xray object at the same distance as the LSS of the CMB.

but it is a stretch for me to imagine. maybe you can clarify, if you can imamgine it more concretely than this
Any such object at the LSS would have caused far greater anisotropies in the CMB than at 1 part in 105 that COBE and WMAP have observed.

Actually we do see the LSS, it is in the microwave part of the spectrum and called the CMB!

Garth

But it is indeed an interesting question where the limit for visual observation is located. As soon as one enters the dark age (may be z > 10) the spectrum of the sources should have enough absobtion lines due to neutral hidrogen at different redshifts (Gunn-Peterson effect). I wonder whether it is possible to make a reasonable calculation of the limit at which visual observation will be almost impossible.

Yes marcus, I was thinking in some kind of object that could exist at that distance. It should be an X-Ray object, as you say. The possibilities of such an object existing are very low, in fact the first stars formed 200 million of years after BB. But who knows? Maybe is possible to find such an object at that distances, for example a mini-black hole? Or a black hole of intermediate size formed by the merging of mini-black holes? It would be interesting to see such a thing

Last edited:

What is the Giant Magellan Telescope (GMT)?

The Giant Magellan Telescope (GMT) is a next-generation telescope that will be located in the Chilean Andes. It will have a primary mirror composed of seven individual mirrors, each 8.4 meters in diameter, giving it a total effective aperture of 24.5 meters.

When was the GMT announced?

The GMT was announced in 2006 by the Giant Magellan Telescope Organization (GMTO), a non-profit corporation formed by a group of leading universities and research institutions.

What are the main goals of the GMT?

The GMT aims to provide astronomers with unprecedented resolution and sensitivity to observe the universe, allowing them to study everything from planets in our own solar system to the most distant galaxies and the earliest moments of the universe.

How is the GMT different from other telescopes?

The GMT will have a much larger aperture than any other telescope currently in operation, allowing for higher resolution and sensitivity. It will also use advanced adaptive optics technology to correct for atmospheric distortions, resulting in even sharper images.

When will the GMT be completed?

The GMT is projected to be fully operational by 2029, with early science observations starting as early as 2023. Construction of the telescope is currently underway, with several of the primary mirror segments already cast and polished.