Giant Mallet Conundrum: Calculate Length for 800J Impact

• Thread starter Andyj555
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is building a 5m tall mallet to test the strength of pipes against impact force. With a 4m long pipe and a weighted head of 20.3Kg, they can achieve the required 800J on impact. However, they are unsure about the weight of the pipe used as the shaft and are seeking assistance in determining the ideal weight for the head to achieve 800J. The specs for the pipe are provided and there are concerns about the health of the tubular handle.
Andyj555
I'm currently building a roughly 5m tall mallet for testing the strength of various pipes against impact force. I've done all my math and with a 4m long pipe and a weighted head of about 20.3Kg I can achieve 800J on impact (test requirement), I haven't taken into account the weight of the pipe used as the shaft.

I'm wondering if anybody here can help me figure out how long I need to make my pipe for the head to be 20Kg and hit the test pipe with 800J. The specs for the pipe are as follows:

Outer diameter: 60mm
Internal diameter: 34mm
Length: 4000mm
Mass: 60.273Kg
Material: Stainless Steel

A quickly put together inventor drawing of the assembly in attachments.

Attachments

• mallet.PNG
    mallet.PNG
    12.2 KB · Views: 453
Engineering news on Phys.org
Weight

Actually keep the 4m but how heavy does the head need to be to achieve 800J.

cheers

It will depend on the path taken by the mallet head.
Does it start at the top and swing through 90 or through 180 degrees?

Ignoring the handle, the kinetic energy available will be the potential energy due to the change in height of the head. But a 60kg rigid tube appears to be a dominant component.

I would be concerned about the health of the tubular handle as it will be subjected to some bending at the time of impact. There will be a wave travel from the head to the fulcrum and reflect back when it hits. Ideally it would be arranged for the handle to be insignificant since energy stored in the handle will take time to reach the head and you need only one clear pulse.

1. How do you calculate the length for a 800J impact using the Giant Mallet Conundrum?

The length can be calculated using the formula L = √(2J/F), where L is the length, J is the impact energy (in joules), and F is the force applied by the mallet (in newtons).

2. What is the Giant Mallet Conundrum and why is it important?

The Giant Mallet Conundrum is a scientific problem that involves calculating the appropriate length of a mallet to deliver a specific impact force. It is important because it helps scientists and engineers design and create tools that can deliver controlled and precise impacts.

3. What is the impact energy of an 800J impact?

The impact energy of an 800J impact is 800 joules. This is a measure of the amount of energy transferred to an object upon impact.

4. How does the length of the mallet affect the impact force?

The length of the mallet directly affects the impact force. A longer mallet will deliver a greater force, while a shorter mallet will deliver a smaller force. This is because the length of the mallet is directly proportional to the force applied.

5. Are there any other factors that affect the calculation of the length for an 800J impact using the Giant Mallet Conundrum?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the calculation, such as the material and shape of the mallet, the angle of impact, and the density of the object being impacted. These factors may need to be taken into consideration for a more accurate calculation.