Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Giant molecules

1. Aug 13, 2003 #1
    Which is the known molecule that is composed by the major number of atoms? DNA? I know that DNA is made of million of atoms

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2003 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you mean the biggest, diamonds are really just real big molecules - called macromolecular. I think a few other forms of carbon may qualify as well.

4. Aug 15, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am thinking that all crystals qualify as macromolecular structures. Does anyone know if this is correct?

5. Aug 15, 2003 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I know, and, no, it is incorrect.

6. Aug 15, 2003 #5
    Ivan, I think the implications were covalently bonded molecules. I can get a crystal of sugar, but the sugar molecules are relatively small, compared to diamonds or graphite, and not bound to each other with much more than van der Waal forces. If you include ionic bonds, then the sky is the limit, since salts can form gigantic crystals. Metals form another interesting question in terms of if they are or aren't molecules, since most have an outer electron or so that are, sort of, community property.

Even diamonds and graphite don't really fall into the book definition of molecule (and be considered largest).

With a definition of:
    Then a large diamond wouldn't be considered a molecule.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2003
  7. Aug 15, 2003 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know I've seen another definition in college but I can't find it in the old class book. Good enough.:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?