Giant Molecules: What's the Largest Known Molecule?

• Thread starter meteor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecules
In summary, a molecule is a smallest particle of a substance that retains all the properties of the substance and is composed of one or more atoms.
meteor
Which is the known molecule that is composed by the major number of atoms? DNA? I know that DNA is made of million of atoms

Biology news on Phys.org
Originally posted by meteor
Which is the known molecule that is composed by the major number of atoms? DNA? I know that DNA is made of million of atoms

If you mean the biggest, diamonds are really just real big molecules - called macromolecular. I think a few other forms of carbon may qualify as well.

I am thinking that all crystals qualify as macromolecular structures. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Yes, I know, and, no, it is incorrect.

Ivan, I think the implications were covalently bonded molecules. I can get a crystal of sugar, but the sugar molecules are relatively small, compared to diamonds or graphite, and not bound to each other with much more than van der Waal forces. If you include ionic bonds, then the sky is the limit, since salts can form gigantic crystals. Metals form another interesting question in terms of if they are or aren't molecules, since most have an outer electron or so that are, sort of, community property.

Even diamonds and graphite don't really fall into the book definition of molecule (and be considered largest).

With a definition of:
compliments of Miriam-Websters online Dictionary
the smallest particle of a substance that retains all the properties of the substance and is composed of one or more atoms.

Then a large diamond wouldn't be considered a molecule.

Last edited:
Originally posted by radagast
Ivan, I think the implications were covalently bonded molecules. I can get a crystal of sugar, but the sugar molecules are relatively small, compared to diamonds or graphite, and not bound to each other with much more than van der Waal forces. If you include ionic bonds, then the sky is the limit, since salts can form gigantic crystals. Metals form another interesting question in terms of if they are or aren't molecules, since most have an outer electron or so that are, sort of, community property.

Even diamonds and graphite don't really fall into the book definition of molecule (and be considered largest).

With a definition of:

Then a large diamond wouldn't be considered a molecule.

I know I've seen another definition in college but I can't find it in the old class book. Good enough.:smile:

1. What is the largest known molecule?

The largest known molecule is a protein called titin, also known as connectin. It is found in muscle cells and has a molecular weight of approximately 3 million daltons.

2. How is the size of a molecule measured?

The size of a molecule is typically measured by its molecular weight, which is the sum of the atomic weights of all the atoms in the molecule.

3. Can molecules be larger than titin?

Yes, there are some molecules in nature that are larger than titin. For example, certain forms of DNA, such as the human genome, can be considered the largest molecule in terms of molecular weight.

4. Are giant molecules more complex than smaller molecules?

Not necessarily. While giant molecules may have more atoms and a higher molecular weight, the complexity of a molecule is determined by its structure and the number of different types of atoms it contains.

5. What are some potential applications of giant molecules?

Giant molecules have a variety of potential applications, such as in drug delivery, nanotechnology, and material science. They can also be used to study and understand biological processes and develop new technologies.