Giant Sea Creature Baffles Chilean Scientists

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
"The dead creature was mistaken for a beached whale when first reported about a week ago, but experts who went to see it said the 40-foot-long mass of decomposing lumpy gray flesh apparently was an invertebrate"

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=570&ncid=753&e=1&u=/nm/20030701/sc_nm/chile_science_dc [Broken]
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Shark

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
"The dead creature was mistaken for a beached whale when first reported about a week ago, but experts who went to see it said the 40-foot-long mass of decomposing lumpy gray flesh apparently was an invertebrate"

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=570&ncid=753&e=1&u=/nm/20030701/sc_nm/chile_science_dc [Broken]
Based on the little information, it very-well might be a plant; many plants grow to be the size of an entire forest. Or, more likely a perifera (sponge). Or As the article said a Cnidaria (Jelly-Fish).

It's damn to bad it's not a giant squid - You know I am a trained biologist, but I would only want to work with certain types of animals, and not in an ecological way....

...but dammed if I don't wanna head an expedition (one of many) to catch a living giant squid, also known as the architeuthis!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
Re: Re: Giant Sea Creature Baffles Chilean Scientists

Originally posted by Shark
...but dammed if I don't wanna head an expedition (one of many) to catch a living giant squid, also known as the architeuthis!!!
Just make sure he doesn't catch you!

What do you make of stories, mainly from WWII, of giant squid pulling men out of boats? The accounts that I have heard were allegedly from survivors of warships sunk far from land.
 

Shark

Re: Re: Re: Giant Sea Creature Baffles Chilean Scientists

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Just make sure he doesn't catch you!

What do you make of stories, mainly from WWII, of giant squid pulling men out of boats? The accounts that I have heard were allegedly from survivors of warships sunk far from land.

Well. Squid are attracted to light. And ships to sink, and sink slowly. My guess would be that when the ships were slowly sinking, and the men were fully in the water, the giant squid may have found some interest in the men, being probably the smallest and least threatening objects in this whole event.

So they probably grabbed them to investigate. Beyond that it's totally myth.

And certainly extremely rare; giant squids live at a depth of 1,600 feet and more.
 

I, Brian

Giant Squid?

Pah!

What about the Colossal Squid?
 
152
2
The MSN report said that it could be a gathering a certain type of plankton.
 

Related Threads for: Giant Sea Creature Baffles Chilean Scientists

  • Last Post
Replies
15
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
14
Views
5K
Replies
17
Views
5K
Replies
17
Views
5K
  • Last Post
Replies
13
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
6K
Replies
6
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
10
Views
2K

Hot Threads

Top