Giant Sea Creature Baffles Chilean Scientists

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: Well. Squid are attracted to light. And ships to sink, and sink slowly. My guess would be that when the ships were slowly sinking, and the men were fully in the water, the giant squid may have found some interest in the men, being probably the smallest and least threatening objects in this whole event.So they probably grabbed them to investigate. Beyond that it's totally myth.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"The dead creature was mistaken for a beached whale when first reported about a week ago, but experts who went to see it said the 40-foot-long mass of decomposing lumpy gray flesh apparently was an invertebrate"

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=570&ncid=753&e=1&u=/nm/20030701/sc_nm/chile_science_dc [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
"The dead creature was mistaken for a beached whale when first reported about a week ago, but experts who went to see it said the 40-foot-long mass of decomposing lumpy gray flesh apparently was an invertebrate"

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=570&ncid=753&e=1&u=/nm/20030701/sc_nm/chile_science_dc [Broken]

Based on the little information, it very-well might be a plant; many plants grow to be the size of an entire forest. Or, more likely a perifera (sponge). Or As the article said a Cnidaria (Jelly-Fish).

It's damn to bad it's not a giant squid - You know I am a trained biologist, but I would only want to work with certain types of animals, and not in an ecological way...

...but dammed if I don't want to head an expedition (one of many) to catch a living giant squid, also known as the architeuthis!

Last edited by a moderator:

Originally posted by Shark
...but dammed if I don't want to head an expedition (one of many) to catch a living giant squid, also known as the architeuthis!

Just make sure he doesn't catch you!

What do you make of stories, mainly from WWII, of giant squid pulling men out of boats? The accounts that I have heard were allegedly from survivors of warships sunk far from land.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Just make sure he doesn't catch you!

What do you make of stories, mainly from WWII, of giant squid pulling men out of boats? The accounts that I have heard were allegedly from survivors of warships sunk far from land.

Well. Squid are attracted to light. And ships to sink, and sink slowly. My guess would be that when the ships were slowly sinking, and the men were fully in the water, the giant squid may have found some interest in the men, being probably the smallest and least threatening objects in this whole event.

So they probably grabbed them to investigate. Beyond that it's totally myth.

And certainly extremely rare; giant squids live at a depth of 1,600 feet and more.

The MSN report said that it could be a gathering a certain type of plankton.

What is the giant sea creature that baffled Chilean scientists?

The giant sea creature that baffled Chilean scientists is a 33-foot-long, white, blob-like creature that washed up on the shore of Los Muermos, Chile.

What are some theories about the identity of the giant sea creature?

Some theories about the identity of the giant sea creature include that it could be a giant squid, a whale fetus, or a type of deep-sea fish.

Why is the giant sea creature puzzling to scientists?

The giant sea creature is puzzling to scientists because it is unlike any known species and does not match the physical characteristics of any known marine animals.

What steps are scientists taking to identify the giant sea creature?

Scientists are taking DNA samples and studying the creature's physical features, such as its teeth and bones, to try and determine its species.

What impact could the discovery of this giant sea creature have on the scientific community?

The discovery of this giant sea creature could potentially lead to a better understanding of unknown marine species and the diverse ecosystems within our oceans.

Back