Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Giant Sea Creature Baffles Chilean Scientists

1. Jul 2, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2003 #2
    Based on the little information, it very-well might be a plant; many plants grow to be the size of an entire forest. Or, more likely a perifera (sponge). Or As the article said a Cnidaria (Jelly-Fish).

It's damn to bad it's not a giant squid - You know I am a trained biologist, but I would only want to work with certain types of animals, and not in an ecological way....

...but dammed if I don't wanna head an expedition (one of many) to catch a living giant squid, also known as the architeuthis!!!

4. Jul 2, 2003 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Giant Sea Creature Baffles Chilean Scientists

Just make sure he doesn't catch you!

What do you make of stories, mainly from WWII, of giant squid pulling men out of boats? The accounts that I have heard were allegedly from survivors of warships sunk far from land.

5. Jul 2, 2003 #4
    Re: Re: Re: Giant Sea Creature Baffles Chilean Scientists

Well. Squid are attracted to light. And ships to sink, and sink slowly. My guess would be that when the ships were slowly sinking, and the men were fully in the water, the giant squid may have found some interest in the men, being probably the smallest and least threatening objects in this whole event.

So they probably grabbed them to investigate. Beyond that it's totally myth.

And certainly extremely rare; giant squids live at a depth of 1,600 feet and more.

6. Jul 2, 2003 #5
    Giant Squid?

Pah!

What about the Colossal Squid?

7. Jul 2, 2003 #6
    The MSN report said that it could be a gathering a certain type of plankton.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?