Giant Squid: What would you do?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, a group of divers encountered a juvenile giant squid near the surface, sparking a debate on whether capturing the animal would be beneficial. However, many commenters expressed hesitation and preferred to simply observe the creature from a safe distance. Some even made jokes about capturing the squid or avoiding it altogether. One commenter mentioned that the species may be poisonous and not suitable for consumption. Ultimately, the consensus was that it was fascinating to see such a unique animal up close.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
This is fascinating. Giant squid (juvenile) encountered near surface, swimming with divers.
http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/giant-squid-swims-alongside-divers-japan

My first thought was: cool!
My second thought was: if it were an option, would capturing it be better?

I guess the option of capturing it would be predicated on being in the right place at the right time with the right technology to do so.

Just curious what peeps think.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
Personally, I would flee as soon as possible. Much smaller squids than this aggressively attack people.

Capture it ? They would need a bigger frying pan.

I would pee my swimsuit. I can't believe how close the filmier gets. I thought these were fairly skiddish beasts.

If you captured it, where would you PUT it?

I'm w/ Zooby; I'd get the hell out of there.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I would pee my swimsuit. I can't believe how close the filmier gets. I thought these were fairly skiddish beasts.
Yeah, I'd pee in your swimsuit too. Save me from cleaning mine.

phinds said:
Yeah, I'd pee in your swimsuit too. Save me from cleaning mine.
That would be... awkward :biggrin:

Likes phinds
DaveC426913 said:
This is fascinating. Giant squid (juvenile) encountered near surface, swimming with divers.
http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/giant-squid-swims-alongside-divers-japan

My first thought was: cool!
My second thought was: if it were an option, would capturing it be better?

I guess the option of capturing it would be predicated on being in the right place at the right time with the right technology to do so.

Just curious what peeps think.

I definitely agree that it is so cool to see such a unique animal so close to the surface. I don't agree about capturing the squid though, given how little we know about them and whether capturing the animal may cause more harm relative to any additional knowledge we may hope to gain (here I side with the notion that the welfare of the squid takes precedence).

StatGuy2000 said:
I definitely agree that it is so cool to see such a unique animal so close to the surface. I don't agree about capturing the squid though, given how little we know about them and whether capturing the animal may cause more harm relative to any additional knowledge we may hope to gain (here I side with the notion that the welfare of the squid takes precedence).

Yah. The squid might make war on us if we abducted him/her.

StatGuy2000 said:
This idea of StatGuy's sounds cooler than seeing the beast actually. :biggrin:

Silicon Waffle said:
This idea of StatGuy's sounds cooler than seeing the beast actually. :biggrin:
What idea?

Make a tasteless joke about Japanese cartoons and proceed to swim as fast as I can away from that Lovecraftian horror.

I hate squids. Ick.

phinds said:
If you captured it, where would you PUT it?
IN MAH BELLAH!

Fat-Bastard-Sweating.jpg

DaveC426913 said:
IN MAH BELLAH!
One of the commenters to the article claims this species is poisonous. Can't be eaten. So, I'd check on that.

DaveC426913 said:
What idea?
I am a squid. He doesn't agree that people should capture me but it is good to just offer me the health insurance. :biggrin:

i wouldn't stay in the water with a meat-eater that big.

1. What is a Giant Squid?

A Giant Squid is a deep-sea dwelling animal that is part of the cephalopod family. It is known for its large size and long tentacles, reaching up to 43 feet in length.

2. How do Giant Squids hunt?

Giant Squids use their long tentacles to capture prey, such as fish and other squid species. They also have sharp beaks that they use to tear apart their prey. They have been observed using bioluminescence to attract prey in the dark depths of the ocean.

3. Are Giant Squids dangerous to humans?

There is no evidence to suggest that Giant Squids pose a threat to humans. They typically live in deep waters and avoid interactions with humans. However, they do have sharp beaks and powerful tentacles, so it is best to observe them from a safe distance.

4. How do you study Giant Squids?

Studying Giant Squids can be challenging due to their deep-sea habitat. Scientists use remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) and submersibles to observe and collect data on Giant Squids. They also rely on specimens that have washed up on shore or have been caught by fishermen.

5. What is being done to protect Giant Squids?

Since Giant Squids live in deep waters and are not commonly encountered by humans, there are no specific conservation efforts for them. However, it is important to protect their ocean habitats and reduce pollution to ensure their survival. Continued research and monitoring can also help us better understand and protect these fascinating creatures.