Giant Squid: What would you do?

DaveC426913

Gold Member
This is fascinating. Giant squid (juvenile) encountered near surface, swimming with divers.
http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/giant-squid-swims-alongside-divers-japan

My first thought was: cool!
My second thought was: if it were an option, would capturing it be better?

I guess the option of capturing it would be predicated on being in the right place at the right time with the right technology to do so.

Just curious what peeps think.

Personally, I would flee as soon as possible. Much smaller squids than this aggressively attack people.

CWatters

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Capture it ? They would need a bigger frying pan.

I would pee my swimsuit. I can't believe how close the filmier gets. I thought these were fairly skiddish beasts.

phinds

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
If you captured it, where would you PUT it?

I'm w/ Zooby; I'd get the hell out of there.

phinds

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I would pee my swimsuit. I can't believe how close the filmier gets. I thought these were fairly skiddish beasts.
Yeah, I'd pee in your swimsuit too. Save me from cleaning mine.

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor
This is fascinating. Giant squid (juvenile) encountered near surface, swimming with divers.
http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/giant-squid-swims-alongside-divers-japan

My first thought was: cool!
My second thought was: if it were an option, would capturing it be better?

I guess the option of capturing it would be predicated on being in the right place at the right time with the right technology to do so.

Just curious what peeps think.
I definitely agree that it is so cool to see such a unique animal so close to the surface. I don't agree about capturing the squid though, given how little we know about them and whether capturing the animal may cause more harm relative to any additional knowledge we may hope to gain (here I side with the notion that the welfare of the squid takes precedence).

I definitely agree that it is so cool to see such a unique animal so close to the surface. I don't agree about capturing the squid though, given how little we know about them and whether capturing the animal may cause more harm relative to any additional knowledge we may hope to gain (here I side with the notion that the welfare of the squid takes precedence).
Yah. The squid might make war on us if we abducted him/her.

This idea of StatGuy's sounds cooler than seeing the beast actually. :biggrin:

Make a tasteless joke about Japanese cartoons and proceed to swim as fast as I can away from that Lovecraftian horror.

I hate squids. Ick.

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Dearly Missed
i wouldn't stay in the water with a meat-eater that big.