Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gibbs Energy

1. Jun 25, 2008 #1
    Well I read in a book that:
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]G= RTln (K) (Where K is the eqm const)
    H "K" is not necessarily dimensionless so how can we take a log of "K"?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2008 #2
    Do you mean Gibbs free energy?

then it's given by:
    [tex]\tau log(Z_G)[/tex]
    after taking the derivative you can get the difference or differential form of this energy.
    Z_G is the Grand canonical partition function, and it's indeed dimensionless.

4. Jun 26, 2008 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The full Nernst-Planck equation is:

[tex]\Delta\mu=RTln(\frac{[x_{i}]}{[x_{o}]})+ZF(\psi_{i}-\psi_{o})[/tex], where

[tex]\Delta\mu[/tex] is the change in chemical potential for a particular species

[tex][x_{i}][/tex] is the concentration of species 'x' on one side of a dividing surface (and [tex][x_{o}][/tex] the concentration on the other side)

[tex]\psi_{i}[/tex] the electrical potential on one side of a dividing surface (and [tex]\psi_{o}[/tex] the potential on the other side)

And R, T, Z, F the usual gas constant, temperature, charge per molecule and Faraday constant.

It's worth understanding this equation- it governs diffusive processes of charged solutes in solution and leads to a remarkable (IMO) result: the membrane potential. There's various simplifications, it looks like you have uncharged solutes (Z = 0), and instead of [tex]\Delta\mu[/tex] you are using [tex]\Delta G[/tex], which also changes the [tex]\frac{[x_{i}]}{[x_{o}]}[/tex] term to the equilibrium constant. But, since it's still dimensionless, there's no problem.

Does that help? This is a really fundamental concept- make sure you understand it.

5. Jun 26, 2008 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's often ignored, but the K inside the logarithm is divided by K0, which has magnitude of 1 and the same units. The quotient is therefore dimensionless and equal to the magnitude of K.

EDIT: Whoops, Andy got there first with a more complete answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?