1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gibbs Energy

1. Jun 25, 2008 #1
    Well I read in a book that:
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]G= RTln (K) (Where K is the eqm const)
    H "K" is not necessarily dimensionless so how can we take a log of "K"?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2008 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

Do you mean Gibbs free energy?

then it's given by:
    [tex]\tau log(Z_G)[/tex]
    after taking the derivative you can get the difference or differential form of this energy.
    Z_G is the Grand canonical partition function, and it's indeed dimensionless.

4. Jun 26, 2008 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The full Nernst-Planck equation is:

[tex]\Delta\mu=RTln(\frac{[x_{i}]}{[x_{o}]})+ZF(\psi_{i}-\psi_{o})[/tex], where

[tex]\Delta\mu[/tex] is the change in chemical potential for a particular species

[tex][x_{i}][/tex] is the concentration of species 'x' on one side of a dividing surface (and [tex][x_{o}][/tex] the concentration on the other side)

[tex]\psi_{i}[/tex] the electrical potential on one side of a dividing surface (and [tex]\psi_{o}[/tex] the potential on the other side)

And R, T, Z, F the usual gas constant, temperature, charge per molecule and Faraday constant.

It's worth understanding this equation- it governs diffusive processes of charged solutes in solution and leads to a remarkable (IMO) result: the membrane potential. There's various simplifications, it looks like you have uncharged solutes (Z = 0), and instead of [tex]\Delta\mu[/tex] you are using [tex]\Delta G[/tex], which also changes the [tex]\frac{[x_{i}]}{[x_{o}]}[/tex] term to the equilibrium constant. But, since it's still dimensionless, there's no problem.

Does that help? This is a really fundamental concept- make sure you understand it.

5. Jun 26, 2008 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's often ignored, but the K inside the logarithm is divided by K0, which has magnitude of 1 and the same units. The quotient is therefore dimensionless and equal to the magnitude of K.

EDIT: Whoops, Andy got there first with a more complete answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook