1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gibb's free energy confusion!

1. Jan 7, 2009 #1
    [tex]\Delta G = \Delta H - T \Delta S [/tex]

I don't understand this equation satisfactorily.
    I have learned so far that endothermic reaction having a positive [tex]\Delta S_{system}[/tex] is spontaneous at higher temperature because [tex]T\Delta S[/tex] out-compete the enthalpy term and make the free energy change negative.
    But I don't understand why [tex]T\Delta S _{sorrounding}[/tex] should not increase with temperature as [tex]T\Delta S _{system}[/tex] does.
    Clearly [tex]\Delta H[/tex] =[tex]-T\Delta S _{sorrounding}[/tex]
    so we can rewrite the gibbs free energy equation
    [tex]\Delta G= -T\Delta S _{sorrounding} - T\Delta S _{system}[/tex]
    [tex]\Delta G = -T ( \Delta S _{sorrounding} + \Delta S _{system})[/tex]

if [tex]\Delta S _{sorrounding}[/tex] and [tex]\Delta S _{system}[/tex] both are constant then the sign of [tex]\Delta G[/tex] is independent of temperature. If [tex]\Delta G[/tex] is positive increasing temperature just make it more positive and If [tex]\Delta G[/tex] is negative increasing temperature just make it more negative. Temperature cannot change the sign.
    I know I must be missing something. Please help!!

A[tex]^{ }_{A}[/tex]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

When you use the equation to describe isolated system you don't have to worry about the rest of the Universe.

4. Jan 7, 2009 #3
    But I need to know why?
    Isn't Del H = -T*Del S (sorrounding)? Clearly it is a function of T, then why it would be unaltered by temperature {but T*Del S (system) is altered}?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  5. Jan 7, 2009 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not clearly. That equation only holds if you have a very large heat bath surrounding the system with the same temperature T, so that all heat transfer is reversible. It's important to make this distinction.

But that is a side point. The key issue is this: if you're writing [itex]\Delta H=T\Delta S^\mathrm{surr}[/itex], you're already assuming that the reaction is spontaneous; otherwise energy would not be transferred. And when you write [itex]\Delta G= -T\Delta S^\mathrm{surr} - T\Delta S^\mathrm{sys}[/itex], you're assuming that it's barely spontaneous, that [itex]\Delta G=0[/itex]. Otherwise more energy would be present from the spontaneous forward reaction.

So you can no longer vary T and ask whether the reaction is spontaneous!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?