1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gibbs Free Energy help

1. Mar 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The reaction is [tex]NH_{4}Cl(s)\rightarrow NH_{3}(g)+HCl(g)[/tex]
    [tex]\Delta H^{o}=+176 kJ and \Delta G^{o}=+91.2 kJ[/tex] at 298 K
    What is the value of [tex]\Delta G[/tex] at 1000 K?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\Delta G=\Delta H-T\Delta S[/tex]
    The same applies if all 'deltas' are standard

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I solved for standard change of entropy ([tex]\Delta S^{o}[/tex]) and came up with .284 kJ/K, which is the same when using a table of standard entropies. My problem is, I'm not sure where to go from this to find [tex]\Delta G[/tex], or even a way to link standard values to normal values for these. I tried plugging in the values for standard delta H and delta S with 1000K to find delta G, but something tells me that this is incorrect. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Swerting

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2009 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why do you think your first approach is incorrect?

4. Mar 7, 2009 #3
    I believe that my first approach is incorrect since standard values are at 298.15K, and this is asking for delta G at 1000K, implying that delta H and delta S have changed as well.

5. Mar 7, 2009 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know how to calculate changes in [itex]\Delta H[/itex] and [itex]\Delta S[/itex] with temperature? (Hint: it involves the heat capacity.) Alternatively, you could look up these values at 1000 K.

6. Mar 7, 2009 #5
    I can calculate [tex]\Delta H[/tex] from changes in temperature, but unfortuneately, not [tex]\Delta S[/tex], nor could I find a table of entropies at 1000K.

7. Mar 7, 2009 #6
    Alright, well, in the depths of the internet I finally found the answer explained, and apparently my using standard delta H and S were correct. The answers from the company that make the questions say that delta S doesn't change (thought says nothing about delta H) and so I just plug in the values and solve for delta G. Ah well, who would've guessed that values so dependant on temperature don't really change over an actual temperature change. :P
    Thank you very much for your help!

-Swerting

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?