Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gibbs free energy

1. Jun 26, 2005 #1
    would anyone happen to know what the expression for an isothermal change in Gibbs free energy for a liquid is when the pressure changes from pi to pf. Also an expression for when its a perfect gas?
    i cant seem to figure them out.. and how would they be deduced?
    i've come across one equation: Gf=Gi +nrtln(pf/pi) <- that i think may be for perfect gas. but i'm still unsure abotu the first expression.
    thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2005 #2
    For a pure sustance the variation of the Gibbs free energy, dG, is equal to
    dG= VdP-SdT
    where V,P,S,T are volume, pressure, entropy and temperature, respectively. At constant T, above equation becomes
    dG= VdP
    For an ideal gas PV= nRT, then
    dG= nRT dP/P
    Integrating at constant T between Pi and Pf
    Gf=Gi + nRT Ln ( Pf/Pi)

Where Gf and Gi are the Gibbs free energy at T and Pf , and at T and Pi, respectively. You can assume any value for Gi .

for a liquid you may use a convenient equation of state valid for the liquid phase. If the liquid is incomprensible V is almost independent of pressure, then
    Gf=Gi + V(Pf-Pi)
  4. Jun 29, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And one more thing,it's called Gibbs potential or free enthalpy."Free energy" is the name for Helhmoltz potential customarily denoted by "F".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?