Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gifts you don't want

1. Mar 26, 2009 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mom and Dad got me a nice Samsung Eternity phone for my birthday. It just showed up today. The thing is.. I don't want it. Mom had told me a few weeks ago that she and Dad wanted to get me a phone for my birthday, and I asked her not to. I like the phone that I have.

Should I ask if she still has the receipt? Should I pretend I'm thrilled and keep it?

Can I sell the phone or give it away? I don't know how that works - she might have set it up with my plan.

Yours truly,

MIH the ungrateful brat

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2009 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I've been in that situation a few times, primarily from the wife. I just use the new one and put the old one someplace for safekeeping. The things you do for love... :rolleyes:

4. Mar 26, 2009 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

It'd be rather unfortunate if you just renewed your 2 year plan on the current phone and couldn't use a new one.... right? ;)

5. Mar 26, 2009 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The thing is that the phone I have now is on our family plan. The folks got it for me when I was in school because they insisted I have it and it was only an extra $10 a month. I almost never use it. I carry it for emergencies. I really have no use for the fancy multimedia gizmo phone.

6. Mar 26, 2009 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Just grin and bear it, honey. It's not worth risking hurt feelings.

7. Mar 26, 2009 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're right. I just use the stupid foo-foo phone.

8. Mar 26, 2009 #7
    I had the same problem with this UCLA t-shirt.....

O BTW Sweet phone, I'll take it! :devil:

9. Mar 26, 2009 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Phones do sometimes get lost or stolen...

10. Mar 26, 2009 #9

Danger

Gold Member

:devil:

11. Mar 26, 2009 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Getting a pho-pho-phone isn't too bad, as unwanted gifts go.

Better than soap (yes I got soap once...what's up with that? I shower every day! OK, so it was "fancy" soap...foo-foo soap...but still...soap?!? You might as well give a nice engraved plaque saying, "Yeah, so I have no idea what to get you for your birthday.").

12. Mar 26, 2009 #11
    I don't think so. She'll be forced to use a phone she doesn't like using so as not to hurt someone's feelings? I mean, it's not like laying a bed of nails, but she'll be stuck with the crappy thing for a while.

I think you should let them know you appreciate the idea, but you just really don't like the phone (give good reasons). But! You'd like to use the money to get a phone you can really get a lot of benefit out of. That's win-win.

13. Mar 26, 2009 #12

Danger

Gold Member

I'm afraid that I can't agree with that on the surface. The critical factors, though, are the personalities of her parents. Only she can know what the effects of various approaches might be.

14. Mar 26, 2009 #13
    This new phone sure does go well with my UCLA shirt. :wink:

BTW, I also have a Harvard shirt that suree would go well with a new BMW.

15. Mar 26, 2009 #14

Danger

Gold Member

Good ol' Cyrus... always the mercenary. :approve:

16. Mar 27, 2009 #15
    If you don't really use your phone for much anyway I don't see the problem. Its perhaps a waste of money, but not yours.
    You may also find a use for the extra stuff on there. I don't know if your's has it but Google Maps is great for finding places I need to go for work. I can even look for local businesses of certain types; laundromats, department stores, ect. There's also a documents function that can handle Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. I don't have much use for those but you may find some for school. Mine has some room on it already but with an SD card I can use it for storage like a thumb drive and even view some of the files with the phone. If you have data service you can even send e-mails with it which has come in handy on occasion.

17. Mar 27, 2009 #16
    They want you to be safe and accessible so they gave you a phone which they think is more reliable than your old one (for the same reasons they gave you phone in the first place). I did the same thing to my gf. Her battery was crap and she would have like 5 mins of talk time or it would never be on. It would never have sufficed in an emergency situation, so I convinced her she needed a new one. She nevers uses the camera (in the first week maybe), she never goes online, she doesn't use the calender even, but I know that she has a reliable phone for calling and smsing (which is what phones are for), plus she did love the new ringtones and the fact that it has two alarms to help her get out of bed. Try your new phone out for a couple of weeks. If you still don't like it, put it on ebay for a $ (at 23:35 EST and only accept bids from userid: Redargon :wink:)

18. Mar 27, 2009 #17
    Phones for presents!You lot must be rich.All I get is a lump of mouldy cheese and a bit of bacon rind.

19. Mar 27, 2009 #18
    Gift giving is an old tradition:

"The status of any given family is raised not by who has the most resources, but by who distributes the most resources. The hosts demonstrate their wealth and prominence through giving away goods." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potlatch" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  20. Mar 27, 2009 #19

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'm not into fancy phones either MIH.

21. Mar 27, 2009 #20

turbo

Gold Member

I have a chintzy LG TracFone for emergencies. It makes and receives calls. It doesn't take pictures, doesn't access my email or the Internet, or any of that stuff. It's compact and fits in pockets easily. That's all I need. Cheap pre-paid air-time on a basic phone.

If someone gave me a fancy phone with all kinds of extraneous functions, I'd ask if they would please take it back and get a refund. I leave my cell phone off unless I want to make an outgoing call - I don't want to feel shackled to it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook