Gilligan is dead

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
Evo
Mentor

Main Question or Discussion Point

Bob Denver, the actor that portrayed Gilligan on the tv sitcom Gilligan's Island died, age 70.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050906/ap_en_tv/obit_denver [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Evo said:
Bob Denver, the actor that portrayed Gilligan on the tv sitcom Gilligan's Island died, age 70.

Again?

I ask because pranksters have numerous times started rumors about his death. Just last year they tricked major media outlets into reporting it. Mr. Denver came out and said that in fact he was still alive and he was getting rather annoyed that he kept having to repeat himself.

If this is true, Rest in Peace, little buddy.

Evo
Mentor
TRCSF said:
Again?

I ask because pranksters have numerous times started rumors about his death. Just last year they tricked major media outlets into reporting it. Mr. Denver came out and said that in fact he was still alive and he was getting rather annoyed that he kept having to repeat himself.
This time he says he's really dead. (was that tacky?) His business manager has confirmed it, which is why they probably delayed the announcement until today, he died Friday.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
OH NO!!! Gilligan!!! :cry:

Evo
Mentor
Math Is Hard said:
OH NO!!! Gilligan!!! :cry:
Oh, your avatar looks just like my possum Raul. :cry:

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo said:
Oh, your avatar looks just like my possum Raul. :cry:
Raul? Oh, yes. He's from Mexico. I forgot.

Anyway, I will wear my Gilligan hat today in rememberance.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo said:

Wow!!! 70!!!!! Now that's scary.

Sad news indeed. :cry: :cry: :cry:

What may be scarier is that I'm old enough to remember him as Maynard the beatnik on Dobbie Gillis. And I don't mean reruns.

While he wasen't a great actor, he was a great Gilligan. Rest in peace Mr Denver.

Evo
Mentor
zoobyshoe said:
What may be scarier is that I'm old enough to remember him as Maynard the beatnik on Dobbie Gillis. And I don't mean reruns.
I can still sing the Dobie Gillis theme song. :redface: From reruns though!!! :wink:

Evo said:
I can still sing the Dobie Gillis theme song. :redface: From reruns though!!! :wink:
Yeah, I think I must have only been 4 or 5, and I remember Maynard playing the bongos because my parents and older sister reacted to the "beatnik" as being such a freak. Little did they know the "hippies" were soon to follow.

That show was hilarious. RIP Gilligan!

I think the new reality version of it is horrible, way to ruin a great show.

Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Now only three of the 7 cast members are left:
Tina Louise
Russell Johnson
Dawn Wells

The last two of which weren't even mentioned in the orginal version of the theme song.

JamesU
Gold Member
Evo said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO0! :cry: I used to watch that show :frown:

One question still remains: how did the professer make a coconut-radio, but not fix a hole in the boat?!

yomamma said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO0! :cry: I used to watch that show :frown:

One question still remains: how did the professer make a coconut-radio, but not fix a hole in the boat?!
Hmmm.... Stranded on an island with a doofus and an overweight captain, a beautiful movie star and a fetching farmgirl....

He *could* fix the boat and return to civilisation *or*.....

I think his odds were better on the island.

I always wondered how their clothes stayed so clean for three years.

TRCSF said:
Again?

If this is true, Rest in Peace, little buddy.
Oh... no wonder I thought he was already dead.

Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
Wow!!! 70!!!!! Now that's scary.
Just earlier today my daughter, who is about to turn 18, was saying that she could hardly believe that they were putting out a 10 yr anniversity DVD of A Toy Story; that it couldn't possibly be ten years since the movie came out.

I told her that she had nothing to squawk about. Gilligan just died at the age of 70!

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo said:
Not me! :tongue:

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
Not me! :tongue:
Betcha know all the words to this.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Like my own name! :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was digging for a bit of information on Bob Denver [long story] and I came across this:

In 1998, Denver was arrested for having a parcel of marijuana delivered to his home. He originally said that the parcel had come from Dawn Wells (who had played "Mary Ann" on Gilligan's Island) but later refused to name her in court, and testified that "some crazy fan must have sent it".
http://www.answers.com/topic/bob-denver

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Mary Ann was Gilligans pot supplier!!!

Maybe I shouldn't be making fun here, but talk about a double-take!

Last edited:
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Wow....this is sad to here.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO0!

Indeed, we may never know the answer.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was digging for a bit of information on Bob Denver [long story] and I came across this:

http://www.answers.com/topic/bob-denver

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Mary Ann was Gilligans pot supplier!!!

Maybe I shouldn't be making fun here, but talk about a double-take!
I knew she wasn't as innocent as she looked!:tongue2:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I knew she wasn't as innocent as she looked!:tongue2:
Of course, all of us oversexed teenage boys were betting on that one!

Just earlier today my daughter, who is about to turn 18, was saying that she could hardly believe that they were putting out a 10 yr anniversity DVD of A Toy Story; that it couldn't possibly be ten years since the movie came out.

I told her that she had nothing to squawk about. Gilligan just died at the age of 70!
WHAT!? Toy Story is 10 years old? Wow I feel so old :eek: