Bob Denver, Actor of Gilligan's Island, Dies Age 70

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, Bob Denver, the actor that portrayed Gilligan on the tv sitcom Gilligan's Island, died at the age of 70. Pranksters have been claiming for years that he's already dead, and this time it appears that he may have been telling the truth. He was a good actor, but I'm mostly sad that he's gone from Dobbie Gillis. RIP Bob Denver.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Bob Denver, the actor that portrayed Gilligan on the tv sitcom Gilligan's Island died, age 70.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050906/ap_en_tv/obit_denver [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Bob Denver, the actor that portrayed Gilligan on the tv sitcom Gilligan's Island died, age 70.

Again?

I ask because pranksters have numerous times started rumors about his death. Just last year they tricked major media outlets into reporting it. Mr. Denver came out and said that in fact he was still alive and he was getting rather annoyed that he kept having to repeat himself.

If this is true, Rest in Peace, little buddy.

TRCSF said:
Again?

I ask because pranksters have numerous times started rumors about his death. Just last year they tricked major media outlets into reporting it. Mr. Denver came out and said that in fact he was still alive and he was getting rather annoyed that he kept having to repeat himself.
This time he says he's really dead. (was that tacky?) His business manager has confirmed it, which is why they probably delayed the announcement until today, he died Friday.

OH NO! Gilligan! :cry:

Math Is Hard said:
OH NO! Gilligan! :cry:
Oh, your avatar looks just like my possum Raul. :cry:

Evo said:
Oh, your avatar looks just like my possum Raul. :cry:
Raul? Oh, yes. He's from Mexico. I forgot.

Anyway, I will wear my Gilligan hat today in rememberance.

Evo said:

Wow! 70! Now that's scary.

Sad news indeed. :cry: :cry: :cry:

What may be scarier is that I'm old enough to remember him as Maynard the beatnik on Dobbie Gillis. And I don't mean reruns.

While he wasen't a great actor, he was a great Gilligan. Rest in peace Mr Denver.

zoobyshoe said:
What may be scarier is that I'm old enough to remember him as Maynard the beatnik on Dobbie Gillis. And I don't mean reruns.
I can still sing the Dobie Gillis theme song. :redface: From reruns though! :wink:

Evo said:
I can still sing the Dobie Gillis theme song. :redface: From reruns though! :wink:
Yeah, I think I must have only been 4 or 5, and I remember Maynard playing the bongos because my parents and older sister reacted to the "beatnik" as being such a freak. Little did they know the "hippies" were soon to follow.

That show was hilarious. RIP Gilligan!

I think the new reality version of it is horrible, way to ruin a great show.

Now only three of the 7 cast members are left:
Tina Louise
Russell Johnson
Dawn Wells

The last two of which weren't even mentioned in the orginal version of the theme song.

Evo said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO0! :cry: I used to watch that show :frown:

One question still remains: how did the professer make a coconut-radio, but not fix a hole in the boat?!

yomamma said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO0! :cry: I used to watch that show :frown:

One question still remains: how did the professer make a coconut-radio, but not fix a hole in the boat?!
Hmmm... Stranded on an island with a doofus and an overweight captain, a beautiful movie star and a fetching farmgirl...

He *could* fix the boat and return to civilisation *or*...

I think his odds were better on the island.

I always wondered how their clothes stayed so clean for three years.

TRCSF said:
Again?

If this is true, Rest in Peace, little buddy.
Oh... no wonder I thought he was already dead.

Ivan Seeking said:
Wow! 70! Now that's scary.
Just earlier today my daughter, who is about to turn 18, was saying that she could hardly believe that they were putting out a 10 yr anniversity DVD of A Toy Story; that it couldn't possibly be ten years since the movie came out.

I told her that she had nothing to squawk about. Gilligan just died at the age of 70!

Evo said:

Not me! :tongue:

Ivan Seeking said:
Not me! :tongue:
Betcha know all the words to this.

Like my own name! :biggrin:

I was digging for a bit of information on Bob Denver [long story] and I came across this:

In 1998, Denver was arrested for having a parcel of marijuana delivered to his home. He originally said that the parcel had come from Dawn Wells (who had played "Mary Ann" on Gilligan's Island) but later refused to name her in court, and testified that "some crazy fan must have sent it".
http://www.answers.com/topic/bob-denver

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Mary Ann was Gilligans pot supplier!

Maybe I shouldn't be making fun here, but talk about a double-take!

Last edited:
Wow...this is sad to here.

yomamma said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO0!

Indeed, we may never know the answer.

Ivan Seeking said:
I was digging for a bit of information on Bob Denver [long story] and I came across this:

http://www.answers.com/topic/bob-denver

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Mary Ann was Gilligans pot supplier!

Maybe I shouldn't be making fun here, but talk about a double-take!

I knew she wasn't as innocent as she looked!:tongue2:

Math Is Hard said:
I knew she wasn't as innocent as she looked!:tongue2:

Of course, all of us oversexed teenage boys were betting on that one!

Janus said:
Just earlier today my daughter, who is about to turn 18, was saying that she could hardly believe that they were putting out a 10 yr anniversity DVD of A Toy Story; that it couldn't possibly be ten years since the movie came out.

I told her that she had nothing to squawk about. Gilligan just died at the age of 70!

WHAT!? Toy Story is 10 years old? Wow I feel so old :eek:

scorpa said:
WHAT!? Toy Story is 10 years old? Wow I feel so old :eek:

"Toy story" was released in 1995. That makes it 12 years old. "Bug's Life" is now 10 years old.

Chi Meson said:
"Toy story" was released in 1995. That makes it 12 years old. "Bug's Life" is now 10 years old.

Yikes even worse. Now I feel older.:bugeye:

Chi Meson said:

STOP IT! :cry:

1. Who was Bob Denver?

Bob Denver was an American actor best known for his role as Gilligan on the TV series Gilligan's Island.

2. How did Bob Denver die?

Bob Denver died on September 2, 2005 at the age of 70 from complications related to treatment for throat cancer.

3. What other roles did Bob Denver play besides Gilligan?

In addition to his iconic role as Gilligan, Bob Denver also played the title character in the TV series The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis and appeared in various TV shows and movies throughout his career.

4. When did Gilligan's Island first air?

Gilligan's Island premiered on September 26, 1964 and ran for three seasons before ending in 1967. It has since become a beloved classic and has spawned numerous spin-offs and remakes.

5. What was Bob Denver's legacy?

Bob Denver's legacy includes his memorable performances as Gilligan and Dobie Gillis, as well as his impact on popular culture through his iconic character. He will always be remembered as a talented and beloved actor.