Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Girl Guide Cookies

1. Duh! Vanilla

28.6%
  2. Schnuh! Chocolate

28.6%
  3. Pah! Both

9.5%
  4. Meh. Neither

33.3%
  1. May 29, 2010 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Buying GG cookies at the mall, the woman said all I have to do is choose which kind I like more.

Thought it was an odd question, with an obvious answer, but maybe the world (or at least PF) will surprise me.

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2010 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where are the Thin Mints and Samoas :confused:?

4. May 29, 2010 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Girl Guides, not Girl Scouts.

They renamed the somaos...I can't remember the new name at the moment. I was nearly in a panick when my niece read off the options and didn't list Somoas!

5. May 29, 2010 #4
    Schnuh! Chocolate

6. May 29, 2010 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Guiding_and_Girl_Scouting" [Broken]. They must have different cookies in different countries...makes sense, I guess, but there's no substitute for a Thin Mint.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. May 29, 2010 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Thin Mints and the butter cookies, like Lorna Doones.

8. May 29, 2010 #7

Dembadon

Gold Member

Neither.

I like the Samoas (Caramel deLites). :approve:

9. May 29, 2010 #8
    Samoas, Thin Mints (in the freezer, which turns a thin mint into something like crack), and Tagalongs peanut butter that Evo mentioned)

The reason they sell them only seasonally? To stem the tide of obesity. :)

10. May 29, 2010 #9
    Americans get a whole other selection of Girl Guide cookies that Canadians don't get. We get two white cookies sandwiching white cream or two brown cookies sandwiching brown cream. That's it.

And if Dave knew anything, he'd know that the only part worth eating at all of any of it is the white cream.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  11. May 29, 2010 #10
    You can make a great Samoa cake: scratch a basic sheet cake, hit it with Dulce de Leche in the batter, some coconut (unsweetened). Frost with a layer of homemade caramel (cream, sugar, pan) in thick drizzles, coconut, and then thick drizzles of chocolate ganache.

Proceed directly to inappropriate moaning sounds upon consumption.

12. May 29, 2010 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Good god. You are so deprived.

I remember when I was in the Girl Scouts, an elderly couple down the street called my mom, saying that I hadn't been by to take an order. I figured that they were elderly and wouldn't want cookies. I didn't realize I was selling crack to addicts. They placed my largest order.

13. May 29, 2010 #12
    Oreo = Cocaine
    GS Cookies = Freebasing.

And what is slang for a newly "cooked" batch of crack? "COOKIE!"

Coincidence? I think not.

14. May 29, 2010 #13

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good grief! We should organize a charity drive to get some GS cookies up to our northern neighbors immediately. It's bad enough that you have to suffer through those winters (brrrrrrr), but to be denied Thin Mints...it's unimaginable!

15. May 29, 2010 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I recall a few years ago, GGs switched to mint cookies for a while. I did not buy them.

They've now switched back to vanilla and chocolate (but a different manufacturer, that's why they look different).

Thank you.
    It seemed obvious to me that the vanilla are the raison d'ete for GG coookies, but it occurred to me that there a tiny possibility that it may not be a universal belief.

My poll is illuminating.

16. May 29, 2010 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So true. I went into a 12-step to kick my thin mint habit. (still recovering) I have a theory that they push the thin mints in socio-economically disadvantaged communities, following the marketing success of menthol cigarettes.

17. May 29, 2010 #16
    Winters, hah! It's snowing here today. So, um, take that humidity-overloaded middle of the country.

Yeah, I'll have to wander by and take a look at your country's GS/GG cookies one of these days, Lisa.

18. May 29, 2010 #17
    The only proper answer is to call some girl scouts in the US and get Thin Mints. Derp!

19. May 29, 2010 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Where are you that it's snowing? It was a scorcher here. I was forced to stay out on the lake an extra hour or three.

20. May 29, 2010 #19
    These cookies make me sick :( I want a real cookie if im gona have one.

21. May 30, 2010 #20
    :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook