Girl Guide Cookies

Girl Guide Cookies!

• Total voters
I feel for them, but I NEED MY DAMNED COOKIES! Sorry girls, trickle-down economics doesn't work, now give me more thin mints so I can chase the minty dragon! :)

You're absolutely right. When I was a troop leader several years ago, I was amazed that we got to keep only 45 cents a box! Now I only buy box or two of the cookies, but I *always* donate a few dollars. Those poor girls work hard, they deserve more than they get.

Wait they get to keep the money that they raise? I thought it was a fundraiser of some sort... hmmm.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Wait they get to keep the money that they raise? I thought it was a fundraiser of some sort... hmmm.

No, my post was misleading - sorry. The $0.45 per box went to the girls' troop, not to them individually. The girls worked hard to earn money for the troop.

No, my post was misleading - sorry. The $0.45 per box went to the girls' troop, not to them individually. The girls worked hard to earn money for the troop.

ooooh. Ok yeah that's what I had thought was occuring.

That's the thing with these types of fundraisers. The majority of the money normally doesn't end up going where it's being raised to go, which is a shame. I would assume that the staff of Girl Guides/Scouts gets a pretty decent pay cheque... some of it coming directly from this fundraising by the girls.

You see it all the time. For instance when wikipedia fundraises for money normally you can go and see where the money goes to. A large portion of it goes to pay their preeeettty high salaries. I mean, they do deserve it since they founded one of the greatest websites on the internet. But the fundraiser seems slightly misleading.

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I refuse to buy them after finding out the girls make very little money per box. I think the last time I hear it was only 22 cents. The majority of the money pays for professional staff and office buildings.
Really?

Whose staff and buildings? GG head office?

I don't care if they are made in the same manner as Slurm from Futurama, and delivered by indentured servants, they taste too good to care.

turbo
Gold Member
We have lots of grand-nieces, and my wife gets suckered into buying cookies every year. The last year or so, she has managed not to pay for those over-priced treats that we don't need, but I'm not claiming victory. She has "adopted" the grand-daughters of our neighbors and will do anything for them, and the elder one is approaching GS age. Ack!

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Really?

Whose staff and buildings? GG head office?

The way it runs in the US, troops are grouped together into Councils. The Council where I am covers about 1/6 of Washington state. Each council has an office space, and too dang many employees, IMHO.

I suppose there are levels of organization above the Council level, all the way up to the National office (and beyond?), but I don't know about that first hand.