Conflicted Feelings: Moving On from High School

In summary, moving on from high school can be a time of conflicting emotions for many individuals. While it marks the end of a significant chapter in one's life, it also brings about the excitement and uncertainty of new beginnings. The nostalgia for the past and the fear of the future can create a sense of conflict within oneself. However, it is important to embrace these conflicting feelings and use them as motivation to grow and move forward. Whether it is pursuing higher education, starting a career, or exploring new opportunities, the process of moving on from high school is a natural and necessary part of life.
Originally posted by albrock06
Ever thought of actually asking a girl? Haha.

But seriously, I'm probably breaking all the rules of the female code by telling you this, but most girls like to talk about themselves. So, walk up to her, say, 'Hey there, how are ya?' and start a conversation. But if she just gives you a sarcastic smile and walks away, take it as a hint.

Tell her she looks nice. Whatever. Say something nice to her. Get creative. Girls like most dig creative guys.

Only girls like me dig the dorks. :wink: I couldn't help that.

Guys like to talk about themselves too. I guess we're alike in some ways:wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by jimmy p
Jesus Christ (sorry for the profanity god)! is this monster still going?

unfortunately...yet I'm still drawn back to kill time at work...

-Ty

This thread has had more posts than quite a few of the forums have.

Update on my crush: I saw her today, and she was friendly. After mentioning she hadn't replied to my e-mails, she suggested they might have been killed by an auto-delete function, so she never saw them.

drawn to it like a moth to the flame... that doesn't sound very promising Hurkyl...

Originally posted by Hurkyl
Update on my crush: I saw her today, and she was friendly. After mentioning she hadn't replied to my e-mails, she suggested they might have been killed by an auto-delete function, so she never saw them.

Hurkyl...you are SO smart and SO good looking...I think it's time to move on to greener pastures.

No one else peaks my interest, atm. (I don't mean that in the dirty way. )

Anyways, after not getting a response for a few days, I pretty much stopped thinking about it; today when we talked, I didn't go to her, she came to me.

Last edited:

Anyways, after not getting a response a few days, I pretty much stopped thinking about it; today when we talked, I didn't go to her, she came to me.

Hurkl! We are twins or whattt!

Update on my girl #1:

In my previous posts I have mentioned a few days ago after ignoring her for 2 months, she had came up to me and start saying kiss ass words again.. Even though these days are exam days and she need my help in Economics... Today I got the test questions (took before her), and she was like "I LUV YOU!" And asked me if she can come over to ask me to tutor her(or she asked me to goto her house).

loll girls.

Anyways, after not getting a response for a few days, I pretty much stopped thinking about it; today when we talked, I didn't go to her, she came to me.
The most guaranteed way to get a woman interested in you is to appear to lose interest in her. Trust me on this. Still be around, still be nice, but just act like it's no big deal. It will start to make her crazy.

It hàppens! The other day my best new years whishes were sent to the trashcan by an email filter! :{

Originally posted by Evo
The most guaranteed way to get a woman interested in you is to appear to lose interest in her. Trust me on this. Still be around, still be nice, but just act like it's no big deal. It will start to make her crazy.
For any ladies reading, this works just as well on men: pretend to be caught up in a whirlwind of projects, cooking for relatives, computer assignments, helping people with homework, so that he just seems to have fallen through the cracks of your interest. It'll drive him crazy.

The most guaranteed way to get a woman interested in you is to appear to lose interest in her.

"Remaining hidden, the master is sought after."
- Aphorisms of Love

Originally posted by Monique
It hàppens! The other day my best new years whishes were sent to the trashcan by an email filter! :{

Yours really happened. While in his situation, the girl was just making up an excuse.

Anyways, I'm going to be naive and take her at her word and see what happens next. *shrug*

hey hey, it happens. I am looking at the moment however no-one 'peaks my interest' i dontthink that is a good thing is it?

I think what you are doing is a good course of action. Maybe it was a geniune fault. i doubt someone would set emails from you as junkmail when they don't know your intention? or do they?

Hurkyl, if you have the ability, you might want to send your e-mails "read receipt", this way you will know if she opens them or not and if she deletes them without reading them. She won't know that the e-mails are receipted. I have "read receipt" as the default on all my e-mail at work.

I got tired of people claiming they didn't do their job because they didn't get an e-mail, now when they tell me they never got the e-mail, I forward them the receipt showing they opened it.

That's evil How is it done?

Originally posted by Evo
Hurkyl, if you have the ability, you might want to send your e-mails "read receipt", this way you will know if she opens them or not and if she deletes them without reading them. She won't know that the e-mails are receipted. I have "read receipt" as the default on all my e-mail at work.

I got tired of people claiming they didn't do their job because they didn't get an e-mail, now when they tell me they never got the e-mail, I forward them the receipt showing they opened it.

Actually that usually only works in the coporate world. It's a function of outlook, so you can use it if the other person also has outlook, but it doesn't always work, depending on what the reciever is using for an email client.

I'm using Microsoft Outlook. If you have it go to:
tools - options - prefernces tab - e-mail options - tracking options - then select "read receipt"

When a person reads your e-mail, you will get a message like this:
Your message

To: XXXX, XXX (XXXX)
Subject: FW: VT
Sent: 1/11/2004 2:38 PM

was read on 1/11/2004 11:18 PM.

If they delete it without opening, the message will say "was deleted without reading" and show the time and date it was deleted.

Most professional e-mail programs have this setting. If you are sending to someone who is on a different e-mail network than yours, you may or may not get a receipt.

Origionally posted by Monique
Prudens, just a small mentor note: please try not to quote those very long texts or images..

Is there any reason for that? Or are you just being picky.

I always found that 'Patience' by Guns N'Roses seemed to sum up how i was feeling when i was trying to get a girls attention. A really nice song.

Originally posted by Andy
Is there any reason for that? Or are you just being picky.
Because there is no point in quoting a whole post of someone, especially when it is very long. The forum looks a lot better without redundant information, keeping the quality up.

Oh, in case you didn't notice: Evo was the one posting the poem, after which it was quoted in full by the next poster.. kinda redundant isn't it? :P

mine too :(

Origionally posted By Monique,
Because there is no point in quoting a whole post of someone, especially when it is very long. The forum looks a lot better without redundant information, keeping the quality up.

Oh, in case you didn't notice: Evo was the one posting the poem, after which it was quoted in full by the next poster.. kinda redundant isn't it? :P

Hmmmm...just being picky then, lol.

I see why now thank you, although i should have guessed that.

Just so you know evo...you can kill a read receipt if you want to. Whenever my sister-in-law sends me an email its always read receipt, but i always kill it and she doesn't get a receipt at all from mine. not sure how it's set up, and don't know if it ported over to outlook when i cahnged over, but worked on outlook express...may have to try it later...

-Ty

The forum looks a lot better without redundant information...
I'm glad you jumped on this reckless over-quotation habit some people have, Monique. In addition to looking better, it is a great help to the reader of the response to have his or her attention limited only to that point being responded to. The rest is a waste of space and time.

Originally posted by twizted1
Just so you know evo...you can kill a read receipt if you want to. Whenever my sister-in-law sends me an email its always read receipt, but i always kill it and she doesn't get a receipt at all from mine. not sure how it's set up, and don't know if it ported over to outlook when i cahnged over, but worked on outlook express...may have to try it later...

-Ty
I believe it's in how you have the receipt request set up. I sometimes receive an e-mail from a co-worker that has requested a "receipt" where a little box pops up and asks me if it's ok to send the receipt, I can say no. Is this what you are referring to?

My read receipt does not have this option for the recipient to deny the receipt, nor does it let them know I have requested it. The only way they will know that I have requested the receipt is if they go to the properties tab of the e-mail I sent them and look to see if I requested receipt, but they have to open the e-mail first, so I've already gotten my receipt.

Using the preview pane to read the e-mail used to be a sneaky way to read an e-mail without triggering the receipt, don't know if that is still true.

So, share how you "kill" the receipt request!

Using the preview pane to read the e-mail used to be a sneaky way to read an e-mail without triggering the receipt, don't know if that is still true.

Lol, sneaky? I think it was weeks before I knew I could double-click a message in Outlook to read it in its own window!

I have no reason to do anything but take her at face value, so I'm not going to start being sneaky and stuff. Disregarding the e-mail thing, she's done absolutely nothing to make me think she's not interested in me. (at least as a friend, but I've gotten the impression that she likes me more than that... and I don't get that impression very often!)

Hurkyl, I am sure she's got to realize what a great catch you are!

Good luck!

Originally posted by Evo
I'm using Microsoft Outlook. If you have it go to:
tools - options - prefernces tab - e-mail options - tracking options - then select "read receipt"

When a person reads your e-mail, you will get a message like this:
Your message

To: XXXX, XXX (XXXX)
Subject: FW: VT
Sent: 1/11/2004 2:38 PM

was read on 1/11/2004 11:18 PM.

If they delete it without opening, the message will say "was deleted without reading" and show the time and date it was deleted.

Most professional e-mail programs have this setting. If you are sending to someone who is on a different e-mail network than yours, you may or may not get a receipt.

This will work on on the reciever IF their mail server is exchange.(outlook is just the interface for exchange). It MAY or MAY NOT work on smtp servers, depending on the mail server, and it will not work on pop3 mail- this type of mail includes any web based mail(hotmail, yahoo,etc). The mail tracking software is usually not cross compatible between mail server programs. A good deal of the business world utilizes MS exchange as their primary mail server, so it gives the appearance that tracking is universally compatible. Unfortunately, this is not the case

Hi Zantra, yes you are correct, that's why I said I have it at work, it's not an option on my personal e-mail. It's most effective when you are using mainly intra-company e-mail, which I believe is Hurkyl's situation, which is why I brought it up, not as a universal function for all e-mail. But he is truly a good person and is going to trust his heart.

Do you know of a way to disable the receipt function when you receive an e-mail you know will be receipted? It would be nice to know.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Evo
I believe it's in how you have the receipt request set up. I sometimes receive an e-mail from a co-worker that has requested a "receipt" where a little box pops up and asks me if it's ok to send the receipt, I can say no. Is this what you are referring to?

I know my sister sometimes sends them like this where it asks to send one...but...

Originally posted by Evo
My read receipt does not have this option for the recipient to deny the receipt, nor does it let them know I have requested it. The only way they will know that I have requested the receipt is if they go to the properties tab of the e-mail I sent them and look to see if I requested receipt, but they have to open the e-mail first, so I've already gotten my receipt.

So, share how you "kill" the receipt request!
I guess I cheat sometimes using the preview pane...but i sent myself one last night from work to home and as of this morning still havn't gotten a read receipt from having opened it last night. could just be a glitch in mine...but i dunno...i'll try it again tonight and see how/if it does...

-Ty

Originally posted by Zantra
This will work on on the reciever IF their mail server is exchange.(outlook is just the interface for exchange). It MAY or MAY NOT work on smtp servers, depending on the mail server, and it will not work on pop3 mail- this type of mail includes any web based mail(hotmail, yahoo,etc). The mail tracking software is usually not cross compatible between mail server programs. A good deal of the business world utilizes MS exchange as their primary mail server, so it gives the appearance that tracking is universally compatible. Unfortunately, this is not the case

Could be why mine doesn't work...not using exchange at home...just smtp and pop3 on 2 of my accounts...i'll try it some more and see...

-Ty

OK, Now since Valentines is coming up soon... I want to revive this thread again.

Remember Girl#1 I was talking about in this thread? Well, seems like she's coming back for more. A short chrono timeline of our events:

A year ago - We had physics together, I love her, didn't tell her; she suddenly moved up to sit next to me in class the 2nd day. Later, a guy friend of hers told me she likes me; i took it as a joke.

A month ago - I sent a XMas Chocolate pack and I wrote a letter and inside I told her about how "I think about her every second." Asked a trusted friend to deliver it to her,. Don't know what her response was seen the letter, one of her good friends told me she doesn't like me... so I stopped talking to her for a while, went for another one.

A day after XMas(her birthday) - I brought this new girl(Girl #3) and a bunch of my friends to watch LOTR III. Later she wrote me a letter thanking me and crap but says "I didn't appreciate you made things so quick."

2 weeks ago - Girl#1 took initiative like she has never before! More "Hi", "Hello" and smiles for me... And she starts to talk about this guy at my school more often when talking with me over the internet. Don't know what game is she playing...

Updates? Advices? Interpretations? All will be welcomed.

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
Updates? Advices? Interpretations? All will be welcomed.
Just that my thoughts and best wishes are with you Prudens. I gave up on finding love 7 years ago. It's been a peaceful 7 years.
But you are young and still need to go through this ritual torment. Good luck to you my friend. :smile: