Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Girl with no classes together

1. Nov 28, 2013 #1
    So I'm in my final year of high school and there's this girl I think is cute and would like to get to know. However we have no classes together and I've only ever had one class with her back in grade 10. I see her in the halls and the cafeteria, she usually sits at a table near mine. I'm not really friends with any of her friends so just going up to her when she's with her friends would be kinda awkward. Any help in this situation would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2013 #2
    If this advice was from me to younger me, I'd say do it anyway. Also, don't fret over what may happen, it will only make a simple thing more complicated.

4. Nov 29, 2013 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Just start saying 'Hi' while passing in the hallway. No guarantee of success, but at least one tried.

Many of the girls I dated during university did not have classes with me. I usually met them at events outside of class.

5. Nov 30, 2013 #4
    I guess I'll try that.... it just seems weird randomly saying hi to her considering we've never spoken before

6. Dec 2, 2013 #5
    Smile at her while saying 'hi'. Make her a compliment. Maybe approach her when she is in group of two or three people and come up with a pretext to ask the group something (have you guys seeing teacher X coming by?).

7. Dec 30, 2013 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't be obvious about it, she might think you are interested. Try something subtle like, 'hi, I'm [insert name], would you like to go see [insert event of choice] with me now/tonight/tomorrow/etc.?" Even if her first response is 'drop dead', she will find an excuse to resume the conversation sooner or later. If you do it front of her friends, all the better. They will be quite jealous and might even put a good word in for you.

8. Jan 2, 2014 #7
    If she usually sits by your table I would take advantage of that time build upon it slowly day by day with tiny friendly conversations. This feels a lot for both of you and will make you less nervous without the pressure of thinking you have to win her over within the day and you wont come off as the guy obviously hitting on her.

9. Jan 4, 2014 #8
    Thanks that's what I've been meaning to do but she doesn't actually sit at my table so I would still have to go up to her.

10. Jan 4, 2014 #9

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Believe it or not, she already knows you are interested.
    Girls are much more perceptive than guys.
    If she hasn't made prolonged eye contact or smiled, you are probably wasting your time.

She may have a boyfriend or just want to get an education. If she's that cute, she probably gets lots of attention and she knows how to deal with it.

Be realistic. Try the X out of 10 appearance system. If she is, say, 8 out of 10 and you are a 5, she will hold out for someone in her league.

People end up with someone roughly as attractive as they are and friendships are usually based on common interests.
    So, find out what she is interested in.

Ask one of her girl friends if she has a boyfriend.
    The girl will tell her you asked.

Don't walk up to her and try to pick her up in front of her friends. Even if she likes you, she will hate you for doing that. Talk in private.

11. Jan 4, 2014 #10
    She doesn't talk to many guys, I don't think i've ever seen her with a guy and I think she's kind of quiet based on the one class I had with her. I don't really know any of her friends, but I might give that a shot if i have to.

12. Jan 5, 2014 #11

vk6kro

Science Advisor

You may also find it hard to believe, but not all cute girls are goddesses.
    They have different personalities and interests and prejudices and intelligence.

So meeting this girl is just a first step. Can you stand to be with her for hours at a time and still have things to talk about?

You are interested on Science (or you wouldn't be on PhysicsForums) but does she think Science is interesting?

She probably wants a friend she can trust, not someone who embarrasses her in front of her friends.
    So wait until she sits alone. Wait until she looks at you then smile. If she smiles back, go sit at her table. Then talk and talk some more.
    And listen to what she says.
    Keep calm and don't brag.
    She wants to hear about you and your family because she is making her own assessment of you.

She wants to know if you say you are going to pick her up at 7pm, you will actually do it.
    She may want a friend and it might be you.

13. Jan 5, 2014 #12

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nothing wrong with a 3 way, invite them both. Seriously, you are too shy. Girls want friends first, not lovers. After that, it gets complicated. Trust is the bridge you are trying to build.

14. Jan 5, 2014 #13
    Say hi to her and smile when you walk past her. Confidence, it's all about being confident. When you get turned down, don't ever think it is you. Being a nice guy is good, but you also have to have ego. If you don't then people will walk over you in general. Last, but not least, just get to know her, when you manage to maintain eyecontact without that tingling sense of the eyes drying up Unimaginably fast ask her out somewhere, have fun doing stupid things together.

You don't have to turn into a womanizer, but I think friends > commitment, especially in school years.

15. Jan 5, 2014 #14

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Also be careful where you get information.

This is a quiet girl who doesn't need someone with fake confidence bossing her around.
    Be honest with her, but bring out the confidence if a waiter brings her the wrong dish.

She needs to know you will protect her, not boss her around.

16. Jan 6, 2014 #15

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Just ask her at lunch, this weighing of stratagem is ridiculous. If she shoots you down, ohhhhh weellll, move on.

17. Jan 6, 2014 #16
    I don't think it would be a great idea to ask her out without ever talking to her, especially in high school.

18. Jan 6, 2014 #17

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

19. Jan 6, 2014 #18
    Well considering she doesn't know me at all it seems a bit quick.

20. Jan 6, 2014 #19

vk6kro

Science Advisor

Yes. She would have to be crazy to go out with someone she's never met.

It wouldn't be much safer than hitch hiking.

The caveman approach of just asking lots of girls and accepting a lot of refusals just gets you a bad reputation.
    Girls talk to each other.
    If you like a girl, do her the courtesy of getting to know her before expecting her to go out with you.

21. Jan 6, 2014 #20

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

How do you expect for her to get to know you without asking?

Your not asking her to let you have your way with her, you're asking her for a chance to get to know each other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook