Girlfriend asks going out while I'm busy with my mind

In summary, the forum is a great resource for sharing ideas and doubts about love. One person proposed creating the forum, and the doubt this person has is whether or not this forum will be useful. The doubt is based on the fact that the person has experienced difficulty dealing with a physical problem when there is no lecture or textbook to guide him. The problem haunts him until he finds the answer. This is the point where the person imagines what would happen if he were to go out with a girlfriend while this situation is occurring. He has never experienced this situation, but he can already imagine that even his girlfriend won't be able to divert most of his attention on this occurring physics problem. Based on this, the person suggests that if
blue_leaf77
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Well well, I just realized that this page has a wonderful forum for sharing out member's ideas as well as doubts about love. Anyway I really appreciate whoever there proposed to make this forum.

Just a doubt that I haven't actually experienced yet but I am sure it will cause me some trouble when I will have to deal with it. Up to now I have discovered one nature of me: whenever there is a physical problem (not necessarily problem given in lectures, it can be anything including statements or arguments in textbooks) that I found myself hard to comprehend, it will keep bothering me or rather haunting me until I could find the answer. It's so irritating that I would usually keep pondering about it while eating, taking a bath, walking outside, and others daily activities. In such situations I would also usually feel really hesitated to hang out with friends or to come to a friend's invitation. And this is the point where I came to imagine, what if I had girlfriend and she asks me to go out while such situation described above occurred. I have never experienced that though, but I can already imagine that even my girlfriend won't be able to divert most of my attention on this occurring physics problem.

I would like to know does the same situation where there is unsolved problem that keeps haunting your mind until solved happen frequently (it actually frequently happens to me) to anyone of you? And if this were to happen to me while I have got girlfriend asking me out, any suggestion?

Sorry if this is a silly question.

Physics news on Phys.org
I once woke up in the middle of the night after dreaming up the solution to a math problem I was working on, wrote everything down in a half-drowsy state, woke up the next morning and it needed only minor corrections. So yes, I bet there are several people here that have problems taking their minds off problems they find interesting.

Regarding the girl, I would go for the girl if it is someone you are genuinely interested in. On the other hand, if she is, she should hopefully be more interesting to you than a physics problem - or maybe you can find someone who accepts your little quirks and even finds them attractive (no, my wife still does not like it when I get caught up in something, but I do think she loves me anyway).

Here is an XKCD describing the "dropping everything for a problem" situation:
nerd_sniping.png

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/nerd_sniping.png

Likes Drakkith
I absolutely have the same problem. When I'm absorbed in a certain kind of puzzle I have no patience for other people. And other people are put off by this, yes indeed.

That's a bit reassuring, seems like there are more people than I thought out there who can be deeply absorbed in a problem in their field.

Orodruin said:
Regarding the girl, I would go for the girl if it is someone you are genuinely interested in.
I will feel bad for her if I were to turn her down too. It's just that I won't probably be able to enjoy the date to the fullest, it's like in those ads where unhappy people wear smiling expression masks, lol.
Well I just hope there will come girl who will be able to really relaxate my strained mind.

I guarantee that you won't be the first person to hear a woman say "blah, blah, blah, ... are you even listening to me?".

Likes blue_leaf77
If you're worried about being unmotivated to go out with a girl, before you even know any girls who want to go out with you, then there's a good chance you're not going to have ever worry about this issue.

on that resistance problem I estimate .14 ohms am I right?

sorry if I'm off topic, I just couldn't resist, I don't know topology yet and I still need to do discrete math but I'm going to remember this problem ;)

thankz said:
on that resistance problem I estimate .14 ohms am I right?

Nope, a hint is that the resistance between two adjacent nodes is 0.5 ohm. I suggest not trying to go further than that until you can derive that result.

I'm going to take your word for it, for now. I must be looking at it too simply as each node has a resistance of .25 ohms (4 resistors in a star) then I'm trying to figure the resistance for the mesh but seeing as it is infinite it gets exponentially smaller. maybe that is the wrong word but I'm still new to this o0)

The nodes in themselves do not have resistances. But this is getting off-topic. I suggest thinking about it and returning to the technical forums if you have questions. Suffice to say, the problem is far from trivial and naturally the resistance increases as the nodes go further away from each other.

I will keep this filed in my memory banks to solve later, sorry for getting off topic thanks for your help.

blue_leaf77 said:
And this is the point where I came to imagine, what if I had girlfriend and she asks me to go out while such situation described above occurred. I have never experienced that though, but I can already imagine that even my girlfriend won't be able to divert most of my attention on this occurring physics problem.
I think that's a common problem and you don't need to worry about it but if you tend to worry too much about things that might cause problems in the future, you might need to seek professional help!:oldsmile:

That's what I wanted to know, if it's common problem or not. By professional help, I can interpret that as asking for someone more capable than me to solve the haunting physical problem.

I don't think it's much of a problem and on this forum you'll probably find a lot of people like it. I often stare off into the distance intensely thinking about something which my girlfriend has described as endearing (luckily she also does this). The important thing when it comes to a relationship though is to know when you're being selfish. It's all well and good to pat yourself on the back for being an intellectual but if you are ignoring your partner in favour of your own thoughts then don't be surprised if they feel you aren't committed to the relationship. This is obviously a sliding scale and it would be entirely unreasonable if a partner demanded 100% of your attention, but just be aware of how much time you're spending in your own head versus your relationship.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and Borg
blue_leaf77 said:
And this is the point where I came to imagine, what if I had girlfriend and she asks me to go out while such situation described above occurred. I have never experienced that though, but I can already imagine that even my girlfriend won't be able to divert most of my attention on this occurring physics problem.

Not sure how old you are, but this type of obsessed thinking struck me in my early 20s. At a certain point you realize the consequences of such selfishness. A balanced life is important. That means, letting go of that obsession for a few hours as you spend time with a friend, family or girlfriend. Neglect these areas in your life and you'll have more problems than a curious puzzle to solve. The puzzle will still be there waiting when you return. The other areas in your life that you neglect won't be.

btw, this is very similar to people who can't let go of their work when they get home.

Likes ME_student, zoobyshoe and Ryan_m_b
Those are very wise and logical advice you guys have given there.
Greg Bernhardt said:
this type of obsessed thinking struck me in my early 20s
That's almost exactly where I am now and I guess those worries of mine is just manifestation of dynamic spirit from typical young physicist-aiming student like me. I do hope so though, I hope those thoughts will slowly cease to exist as I approach my 30s.

blue_leaf77 said:
That's almost exactly where I am now and I guess those worries of mine is just manifestation of dynamic spirit from typical young physicist-aiming student like me. I do hope so though, I hope those thoughts will slowly cease to exist as I approach my 30s.
They won't and you don't want them to. They are part of your personality and in many ways important. As you get older you'll learn how to control them so they don't take over your life. I usually get obsessive in problem solving when I get cabin fever. Once I am out of the house and active my mind is elsewhere. Do you exercise or have other social hobbies?

That's also a bit of problem I guess, I used to enjoy playing soccer but not anymore now. It's not like I don't want to when a lot of chances came when my mates were having soccer play, I guess it's because, again, lecture tasks and laboratory work have held me back from leaving my room too often or too long. To relieve my stress I bought a video game console, that's my only entertainment for now.

My wife has essentially accepted that sometimes I just zone out in thought. It's usually either research or music.

I think getting out and being social is probably better for your mental health, which is inevitably better for your grades. As long as you prioritize and have a bit of a routine, it's not going to take any time from your studying (you can't study effectively 18 hrs a day anyway; even by the end of 4 hours, your mind gets a little frazzled). But I do understand that every once in a while, a semester comes along that makes you feel so anxious all the time, that it's hard to relax and enjoy yourself. For me it was 3rd and 4th year as an undergrad.

blue_leaf77 said:
I will feel bad for her if I were to turn her down too. It's just that I won't probably be able to enjoy the date to the fullest...
I think you are seriously underestimating just how fascinating a girl that likes you will be to you.
I expect you will happily set aside your problem-solving habit to bask in her attentions. :wink:

Likes ME_student
DaveC426913 said:
I think you are seriously underestimating just how fascinating a girl that likes you will be to you.
I have once experienced what you described there, more or less, when I was still with my ex. It's just that she never really asked me to hang out while I was pondering with a problem, we rarely met to begin with so I have never known how it felt when the dilemma strike me down.

5 Most Frequently Asked Questions About "Girlfriend Asks Going Out While I'm Busy with My Mind"

Q: How should I handle it if my girlfriend asks to go out while I'm busy with work or studying?

A: It's important to communicate openly and honestly with your girlfriend. Let her know that you value spending time with her, but also explain that you have other priorities at the moment. Suggest alternative times to go out or find a compromise that works for both of you.

Q: My girlfriend always asks to go out when I'm in the middle of something important. How can I avoid this without hurting her feelings?

A: It's important to set boundaries and communicate your needs to your girlfriend. Let her know that while you love spending time with her, you also need to focus on your work or studies. Suggest scheduling specific times for date nights to avoid conflicts.

Q: I feel guilty when I say no to my girlfriend's requests to go out. How can I overcome this feeling?

A: It's natural to feel guilty when saying no to someone you care about. However, it's important to prioritize your own well-being and responsibilities. Remember that saying no doesn't mean you don't care about your girlfriend, but rather that you have important things to take care of.

Q: My girlfriend gets upset when I say no to going out. How can I handle her emotions in a healthy way?

A: It's important to validate your girlfriend's emotions and let her know that you understand why she may feel upset. However, it's also important to stick to your boundaries and communicate that while you understand her feelings, you still need to prioritize your responsibilities.

Q: Is it okay to say yes to my girlfriend's requests to go out even if I'm busy with work or studying?

A: It's ultimately up to you to decide what is best for your well-being and priorities. However, it's important to consider the potential consequences of saying yes when you have other important tasks to take care of. It's also important to communicate openly with your girlfriend about your decision and find a balance that works for both of you.