Girls in Engineering: Will I Be Surrounded by Guys?

• Thread starter viet_jon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the girl is considering going into engineering and is worried about being around mostly guys. She is also worried about the difficulty of getting into engineering school if you are a girl. The girl has heard that some colleges are easier on girls who want to major in physics/engineering/compsci.
viet_jon
Girls in engineering...

I'll most likely get accepted for september in Engineering, I won't be surrounded by guys all the time, will I?

Physics news on Phys.org
most likely

I'm browsing the Ontario university data right now... it's about 75-80% guys.

this is going to suck...:frown:

lol...

you don't have to always be around engineers, there will be lots of girls on campus...

viet_jon said:

or...

Hey. It's not a bad thing. ;)

I personally can't tell from your name.
Are you a girl concerned about being around mostly guys
or a guy concerned about being around mostly guys

You can always hang out with people who aren't engineers...

CaptainQuaser said:
I personally can't tell from your name.
Are you a girl concerned about being around mostly guys
or a guy concerned about being around mostly guys

ohh.. never thought abt that...

Yea in my physics class both semesters there's been one girl and like 18 dudes. I feel bad for both of the girls bc theyre sort of the center of attention. (Especially since theyre extremely attractive as well as smart).

Don't worry though me and my four physics friends feel just as awkward among the engineers :P Just kidding.

It all depends on them really. You might be suprized when you meet them and start to make friends. Keep an open mind and try to let your personality and skills be the first thing people notice as opposed to your gender.

Btw incase ur actually a dude I apologize ahead of time :rofl:
But judging by the context of your question I'll take the assumption you aren't since you didn't say OTHER guys you just plainly said guys.

We have and had attractive girls in my physics classes and they never seem to be surrounded by the guys in the class. I consider it a good thing, since it doesn't look like we're your typical desperate nerds... bleah.

What kind of engineering?
I don't know what it is like in the US, but both in Sweden (where I studied) and here in the UK it really seem to depend on what you are studying.
I studied engineering physics at a technical university and when I started in 1995 there were about 20% girls in my class, although that percentage probably increased over time (boys were more likely to drop out or change program than the girls).
The chemistry program had around 50% girls (the year after there were over 50%), the CS program almost no girls at all (something like 2 out of 150 students) and the biotech program 80% girls.
The biotech program (which was just starting up back then so there were only something like 20-30 students) actually had 100% girls a couple of years later.

Biomedical engineering is pretty close to a 50/50 split genderwise. If you are concerned about gender but want to go into engineering then give biomedical a look.

In my undergrad nuclear engineering program, we have two girls in NE and a coupl of others who were in the radiation protection program. Women were about 5-10% of the class. We had a few female grad students, mostly from Europe.

I think the proportion of women in engineering has increased slightly based on the MS/PhD's I encounter.

Besides - an undergrad program is only a temporary situation.

There was a cute chick in my Cal 2 class.

Boys don't bite...much. :biggrin: As others pointed out, you don't have to hang out only with your classmates while in school, but it's not like they're an alien species you must avoid.

Who goes to school looking for Women?

Jordan Joab.

How do you girls feel about working on the formula SAE/mini baja projects?

I'm a girl going into general engineering next year (hopefully mech in year 2) and I'd like to participate in the mech-related engineering side projects. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that there are like no girls on those teams except on the solar car or concrete toboggan project. I have a 'need for speed' so I find those projects fascinating... but I know nothing about cars as of now.

I guess I'm afraid of being one of those team members who have nothing to contribute, and just makes everything awkward because I'll probably be the only girl there.

There aren't many girls in the physics program in my school.
I hear some college admissions are easier on girls who want to major in physics/engineering/compsci

smashingtime said:
There aren't many girls in the physics program in my school.
I hear some college admissions are easier on girls who want to major in physics/engineering/compsci

I don't see why that would help. All the girls I know in physics are better than most of the guys because they had to prove to themselves they could do it before they felt comfortable doing it.

Example:

Guy: I want to do physics!
Wow cool! You must be smart!

Girl: I want to do physics!
Why? It sounds hard...

aestas said:
How do you girls feel about working on the formula SAE/mini baja projects?

I'm a girl going into general engineering next year (hopefully mech in year 2) and I'd like to participate in the mech-related engineering side projects. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that there are like no girls on those teams except on the solar car or concrete toboggan project. I have a 'need for speed' so I find those projects fascinating... but I know nothing about cars as of now.

I guess I'm afraid of being one of those team members who have nothing to contribute, and just makes everything awkward because I'll probably be the only girl there.

Your gender should be irrelevant. I would of course be concerned if you have no experience with car and want to work on a car. Then again, perhaps you'll acquire the experience, or work on some other part of it. If you don't join one of the teams, there will STILL be no women on them. How do you think women will get into things if they just keep sitting around being timid about being the only woman?

If they start to make gender an issue, add one of http://www.enasco.com/product/C15307(X)N" [Broken] to your tool kit. :biggrin: :devil:

Last edited by a moderator:
viet_jon said:

I am in Waterloo Electrical Engineering. There are only 10 girls in class of about 120 students (~8%).

Shackleford said:
There was a cute chick in my Cal 2 class.

Does that mean there was only one girl in your program? :confused:

I'm a guy btw...

I find class boring when there's no girls around.My first choice is EE, but bio med is interesting too, I'll look into it.

Poop-Loops said:
I don't see why that would help. All the girls I know in physics are better than most of the guys because they had to prove to themselves they could do it before they felt comfortable doing it.

Example:

Why? It sounds hard...

Wouldn't colleges be trying for some sort of a gender balance?

Poop-Loops said:

Example:

Why? It sounds hard...

That's exactly the responses I've gotten from all my friends and my dad when I told them I'll be going into engineering. They think it's going to be too hard for me. So I do feel like I have something to prove.

Moonbear said:
Your gender should be irrelevant. I would of course be concerned if you have no experience with car and want to work on a car. Then again, perhaps you'll acquire the experience, or work on some other part of it. If you don't join one of the teams, there will STILL be no women on them. How do you think women will get into things if they just keep sitting around being timid about being the only woman?

Thanks. I want to learn about cars, but never had the opportunity. Hopefully they'll be willing to teach me or help me gain some experience.

viet_jon said:
I'm a guy btw...

I find class boring when there's no girls around.

Are you going to pay attention to your lectures or stare at other people in the classroom? Same advice applies either way, you don't need to only talk to people in your classes.

smashingtime said:
Wouldn't colleges be trying for some sort of a gender balance?

My point is that a guy will try physics just like any other major, because he will get encouraged by others most likely.

A girl will likely be discouraged so only the ones who KNOW they can hack it will try to do physics. I haven't met a girl who said "I don't know... maybe I'll do physics." Whereas that was and still is my attitude towards my major, same with several friends of mine. We are graduating next year, too.

viet_jon said:
I'm a guy btw...

I find class boring when there's no girls around.

My first choice is EE, but bio med is interesting too, I'll look into it.

You will have girls in your classes, especially GE's and math. There aren't much women in EE here at my school. Most EE students and professors are male. Even the CS department has more women. You can always sit in the front of the room so you can forget that you are in a room full of guys. You will meet female engineers at engineering student groups.

There were about 7 girls in my civil engineering class of 18.

The two smartest people in my school's engineering department got into MIT this year. One of them was a girl. She took physics classes with us and put us all to shame.

I agree that women in physics are forced to prove themselves, whereas men who are in physics are already assumed to be smart for going into the program.

Moonbear said:
Are you going to pay attention to your lectures or stare at other people in the classroom? Same advice applies either way, you don't need to only talk to people in your classes.

I know what your sayin, but I'm not a slacker when it comes to school though. Cleaning my house, staying on top of general things I slack alot, but definitely not school.

bubbles said:
You will have girls in your classes, especially GE's and math. There aren't much women in EE here at my school. Most EE students and professors are male. Even the CS department has more women. You can always sit in the front of the room so you can forget that you are in a room full of guys. You will meet female engineers at engineering student groups.

*got my fingers crossed

I'm not familiar with the how classes work in Uni. So are you saying, if girls in other degree programs require a calculus class, they could take it with EE majors?

If girls in other degree programs require a calculus class, I think its a different calculus course than the ones engineering ones have. Or at least in my university.

Like, I'm doing maths, physics, cs but I don't take any common classes with engineering people. If there are girls in other fields of engineering, maybe you will have class with them. I'm not quite sure.

I don't get what's the big deal with the girl/guy ratio thing. I think its fine. (And I'm a girl, btw).