Give 70J as heat to a diatomic gas

• Thread starter cardguy1000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Heat
In summary, the problem involves giving 70J of heat to a diatomic gas, which then expands at constant pressure. The gas molecules rotate but do not oscillate, and the question is how much does the internal energy of the gas increase. The volume does not change and the equation deltaU = deltaQ - deltaW is used, with deltaW being p*deltaV. Since deltaV is 0, the answer is determined to be 70J. However, considering the gas molecules as rigid rotors with two rotational degrees of freedom, the concept of equipartition of energy should be taken into account.
cardguy1000
Hi guys, I'm trying to interpret this problem but am having difficulties.

"We give 70J as heat to a diatomic gas, which then expands at constant pressure. The gas molecules rotate but do not oscillate. By how much does the internal energy of the gas increase"

Does "The gas molecules rotate but do not oscillate" mean the volume does not change?

I'm assuming I'd use deltaU = deltaQ - deltaW, with deltaW being p*deltaV since constant pressure. If the deltaV were 0 then deltaQ=70J-0 therefore yielding the answer of 70J which does not feel very comfortable, being the same.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can view the molecules as rigid rotors - they have two rotational degrees of freedom but the two atoms comprising a molecule are constrained to a fixed separation from each other.

HINT: Think equipartition of energy!

Hello, I understand your confusion with this problem. Let me try to break it down for you.

First, we are giving 70J of heat to a diatomic gas. This means that the gas is absorbing energy in the form of heat.

Next, the gas expands at constant pressure. This means that the pressure stays constant during the expansion, and the gas is allowed to expand without any external resistance.

Now, the statement "the gas molecules rotate but do not oscillate" is referring to the type of motion of the gas molecules. Diatomic gases, such as oxygen or nitrogen, have both rotational and vibrational modes of motion. However, in this problem, we are told that the molecules only rotate and do not vibrate. This means that the volume of the gas does change during the expansion, as the molecules are rotating and occupying more space.

To find the change in internal energy, we can use the formula deltaU = deltaQ - deltaW, as you mentioned. However, we need to calculate the work done by the gas during the expansion. Since the pressure is constant, we can use the formula W = p*deltaV.

If we assume that the initial volume of the gas is V, then the final volume would be V+deltaV. Substituting this into our formula, we get W = p*(V+deltaV - V) = p*deltaV.

Therefore, deltaU = deltaQ - p*deltaV. Since deltaQ is given as 70J and we know that the gas expands, deltaV is a positive value. This means that the change in internal energy will also be a positive value, indicating an increase in internal energy.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is the significance of giving 70J as heat to a diatomic gas?

When heat is added to a diatomic gas, it increases the kinetic energy of the gas molecules, causing them to move faster and collide more frequently. This leads to an increase in temperature and pressure of the gas.

How is the heat given to a diatomic gas measured?

The heat given to a diatomic gas is measured in joules (J), which is a unit of energy. It is a derived unit from the International System of Units (SI) and is commonly used in thermodynamics.

What is a diatomic gas?

A diatomic gas is a type of gas that is composed of two atoms bonded together. Some examples of diatomic gases include oxygen (O2), nitrogen (N2), and hydrogen (H2). These gases are commonly found in nature and are essential for many chemical reactions and biological processes.

What happens to a diatomic gas when heat is given to it?

When heat is given to a diatomic gas, the gas molecules gain energy and move faster. This leads to an increase in the volume of the gas, as well as an increase in the pressure and temperature. The gas may also undergo a phase change, such as from a liquid to a gas, depending on the amount of heat added.

How does the amount of heat given to a diatomic gas affect its properties?

The amount of heat given to a diatomic gas directly affects its properties, such as temperature, pressure, and volume. The more heat that is added, the higher the temperature and pressure will be. However, the volume of the gas may also change depending on the conditions and the type of gas. Additionally, the specific heat capacity of the gas will also play a role in how much heat is needed to produce a certain change in its properties.