1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Give an example of a function f(x) that is discontinuous at each point of its domain

1. Oct 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Give an example of a function f(x) that is discontinuous at each point of its domain, whereas f(f(x)) is continuous everywhere.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I guess the function has to be defined piecewise, but I don't know how to approach this at all. I'm thinking of making conditions for x rational, x irrational, but I wouldn't know how to make the function discontinuous at ALL irrational points. Maybe the function doesn't need to take on values at all x? I really don't know.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2009 #2
    Re: Give an example of a function f(x) that is discontinuous at each point of its dom

never mind, i figured it out

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook