1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Give me your opinion on these

1. Jan 29, 2005 #1
    I've recently picked up these books from an exhibition:
    Classical mechanics by Herbert Goldstein
    Quantum mechanics by Leonard Schiff
    An introduction to the theory of Newtonian Attraction by A.S. Ramsey

Can you give me an opinion on these books? :smile:

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1.The first is EXCELLENT.

2.The second,well,there are better books on QM...

3.Don't know anything about the third... :uhh:

Daniel.

4. Jan 29, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Classical mechanics by Herbert Goldstein <thumbs up>

Quantum mechanics by Leonard Schiff <thumbs up>

An introduction to the theory of Newtonian Attraction by A.S. Ramsey <no idea>

5. Feb 1, 2005 #4
    1.) Haven't read it
    2.) Not familiar with it
    3.) Never heard of it.

Hope this helps.

6. Feb 2, 2005 #5
    Well..what is the best book on QM at undergraduate level?

7. Feb 2, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think David J.Griffiths and his "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" do a good job.I haven't looked into Greiner,not yet...

Daniel.

8. Feb 2, 2005 #7
    What about Gasiorowicz?

9. Feb 2, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I just looked into Greiner.As a whole,though the title is "Quantum Mechanics:An Introduction",it's not suitable for undergrad...It's advanced...The first 3 chapters are purely introductive and will probably go along with Griffiths,but from the 4-th chapter,things are gettin' really serious.

Gasiorowitcz... :confused: I heard about it but i haven't even seen its cover,not to mention the contents...

Daniel.

10. Feb 2, 2005 #9
    Ha...no wonder you are the funniest member of the year :wink:

11. Feb 2, 2005 #10

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Gasiorowicz is a graduate level text, very similar to Schiff or Mertzbacher.

As for Griffiths, if it like his Electrodynamics book, I wouldn't use it. He tends to take shortcuts in setting up example problems. McGervey isn't too bad, the old modern physics text is beter than the newer quantum mechanics book. At the undergrad level it is hard to find a decent text.

12. Feb 2, 2005 #11

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I believe solving this specific problem is the ROLE OF THE PROFESSOR,don't u think so...?If books were perfect,why would people attend university instead of staying home in bed with the QM textbook/treatise...??

Daniel.

13. Feb 4, 2005 #12
    ...if there are any good professors in QM in my part of the world! If there are books on QM that can solve my problems, I wouldn't mind sitting at home with these books.

14. Feb 4, 2005 #13

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Depends on the book...E.g.Sakurai is the best and the most difficult to follow simply because it leaves a loota room for the reader's part...On the other hand,both Massiah & Cohen-Tannoudji are just the opposite:they tend to lose themselves into details and the 2-nd certainly is not reccomendable for STUDY,but for reference material...

As for good QM professors,well there are 2 factors:professors who taught them QM & the books they followed... :tongue2:

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?