Exploring the Limit of (1-1/n)^n: What is e^-1?

• Thread starter intenzxboi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the teacher wrote that if x is a constant, then(1+x/n)^n = e^xand that this is equivalent tolim n goes to infinity (1-1/n)^n = e^-1
intenzxboi

Homework Statement

give the limit if it exist of (1-1/n)^n n=1 to infinity

the teacher wrote:
lim n goes to infinity (1+x/n)^n = e^x

so therefore
lim n goes to infinity (1-1/n)^n = e^-1

can someone explain this to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
All they've done is given x a value. And since the two expressions are equivalent, when x is a specific value in one expression, to remain equivalent x has the same value in the other.

So all your teacher did was substitute -1 for x?

how I'm i suppose to know that

(1+x/n)^n = e^x ??

Ah, yes I was wondering if that was your question.

Well the proof exists online... it's not too terribly difficult.

To prove that (where x is some constant) [tex]\mathop{\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } (1+\frac{x}{n})^{n} = e^x[/tex]

We first set the limit equal to an arbitrary variable (y for instance).

[tex]y =\mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } (1+\frac{x}{n})^{n}[/tex]

Next we'll utilize the rules of the natural logarithm to bring down the power from the quantity on the right.

[tex]lny =\mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } n ln(1+\frac{x}{n})[/tex]

Now to simplify and move forward, we must do some algebraic manipulation.

(Multiply by 1, which in this case we represent with [tex]\frac{\frac{1}{n}}{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex])

[tex]lny =\mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty }n ln(1+\frac{x}{n})*\frac{\frac{1}{n}}{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]

As you can see, this cancels out the n in the numerator, AND gives us a denominator.

[tex]lny =\mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } \frac{ln(1+\frac{x}{n})}{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]

At this point we would re-evaluate the limit, and it would return 0/0 (plug in infinity, it will give 0/0).

So, we use L'Hopital's Limit Rule to take the derivative of the numerator and denominator, respectively.
Afterwords you should get,

[tex]x*\frac{\frac{n^{-2}}{1+\frac{1}{n}}}{n^{-2}}[/tex] Which you can see would cancel out the [tex]n^-2[/tex]'s from the expression. Which would yield:

[tex]lny =\mathop {\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty }\frac{x}{1+\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]

Evaluate the limit of the right side, and you'd get [tex]\frac{x}{1+0}[/tex] or simply [tex]x[/tex]

So you end up with [tex]lny = x[/tex] after which you can exponentiate both sides, and this gives you your final answer!

[tex]y = e^x[/tex]

And since y = both your original limit and your new expression e^x...

[tex]\mathop{\lim }\limits_{n \to \infty } (1+\frac{x}{n})^{n} = e^x[/tex]

Now there's a few steps taken out of the explanation, such as actually taking the derivatives of L'Hopital's rule... but I would assume you could perform those by yourself.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
intenzxboi said:
how I'm i suppose to know that

(1+x/n)^n = e^x ??

What is your definition of "e"?

1. What is the significance of exploring the limit of (1-1/n)^n?

The limit of (1-1/n)^n is significant because it is a key concept in the study of calculus and the understanding of infinite processes. It helps us understand how a quantity can approach a specific value as its inputs approach infinity.

2. How is the limit of (1-1/n)^n related to the number e?

The limit of (1-1/n)^n is equal to the number e, which is approximately 2.71828. This means that as n approaches infinity, the value of (1-1/n)^n approaches e. In other words, e is the limit of (1-1/n)^n as n approaches infinity.

3. What is the formula for calculating e^-1 using the limit of (1-1/n)^n?

The formula for calculating e^-1 using the limit of (1-1/n)^n is 1/e, where e is the number defined as the limit of (1-1/n)^n as n approaches infinity.

4. Why is e^-1 an important number in mathematics and science?

e^-1, also known as the natural base, is an important number in mathematics and science because it is used to model many natural processes, such as growth and decay, and it appears in many mathematical equations and formulas. It is also commonly used in statistics, finance, and engineering.

5. How can the limit of (1-1/n)^n be used in real-world applications?

The limit of (1-1/n)^n can be used in real-world applications to model continuous processes that involve growth or decay. For example, it can be used to calculate compound interest, population growth, and drug concentration in the body. Additionally, it is used in various fields of science, such as physics and biology, to describe natural phenomena.