Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given a homogeneous system, what can we say about a similar but nonhomogeneous system?

1. Nov 16, 2014 #1

kosovo dave

Gold Member

This might belong in the HW section, but since it's specific to Linear Algebra I posted it here.

Alright, so we have a homogeneous system of 8 equations in 10 variables (an 8 x 10 matrix, let's call it A). We have found two solutions that are not multiples of each other (lets call them a and b), and every other solution is a linear combination of them. Can you be certain that any nonhomogeneous equation with the same coefficients has a solution?

I want to say yes, but I'm not sure why. Here's the stuff I know:
    - Our solution for the homogeneous system is span{a, b}.
    - Since there are free variables/the null space is not just 0 we know there are nontrivial solutions.
    - Dim(Null(A))=8

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Try constructing a non-homogeneous equation with those two coefficients that does not have a solution - consider that the inhomogeniety can be anything.

4. Nov 16, 2014 #3

kosovo dave

Gold Member

I don't know why, but I'm still having a hard time with this :/ Could you give me another hint?

Here's what I tried:
    Ax=c

if c= (0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,0) I think the system would be inconsistent because row 3 of the augmented matrix would be all 0's and then a nonzero to the right of the vertical line. Does that work?

5. Nov 16, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, how would you normally find the solution to a non-homogeneous system knowing the solution to the homogeneous one?

6. Nov 16, 2014 #5

kosovo dave

Gold Member

augment the nonhomogeneous system with a solution from the homogeneous one?

7. Nov 22, 2014 #6

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

For a matrix [itex] A [/itex] and a column vector [itex] x [/itex] the result of [itex] Ax [/itex] can be viewed as a linear combination of the column vectors of [itex] A [/itex] where the coefficients in the linear combination are the entries of [itex] x [/itex]. So if [itex] Ax = b [/itex] has a solution, the vector [itex] b [/itex] must be in the span of the column vectors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook