Given I, find V across the elements (resistor, inductor, and capacitor)

In summary, the problem involves finding the voltage across a single circuit element at a given time. The element has three different values (10 kΩ, 15 mH, and 0.3 nF) and is given an initial charge of 0. The voltage is found using Ohm's Law for the 10 kΩ element, the equation for inductance for the 15 mH element, and the equation for capacitance for the 0.3 nF element. The correct solution for the 0.3 nF element involves integrating the current from t=0 to t=6.5 microseconds, resulting in a voltage of 81.3 V.
courteous

Homework Statement

The current after [tex]t=0[/tex] in a single circuit element is as shown in Fig. 2-37. Find the voltage across the element at [tex]t=6.5\mu s[/tex], if the element is (a) [tex]10 k\Omega[/tex], (b) [tex]15 mH[/tex], (c) [tex]0.3 nF[/tex] with [tex]Q(0)=0[/tex].

Ans. (a) 25 V; (b) -75 V; (c) 81.3 V

[PLAIN]http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/2684/unled1copyb.jpg

Homework Equations

(a) [tex]V=RI[/tex]

(b) [tex]v(t)=L\frac{di(t)}{dt}[/tex]

(c) [tex]v(t)=\frac{1}{C}\int i(t)dt[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having problem with the (c) case.

(a) [tex]V=10\text{ }k\Omega \times 2.5\text{ }mA=25\text{ }V[/tex]

(b) [tex]v(t)=15\frac{(0-5)mA}{(7-6)\mu s}=-75\text{ }V[/tex]

Now, what are the limits of integration for capacitor? Do you integrate from [tex]t=0[/tex] to [tex]t=6.5\text{ }\mu s[/tex]? If so, why?

I did use this domain, but the result is incorrect:
(c) [tex]v(t)=\frac{1}{0.3\text{ }nF}\int_0^{6.5} i(t)dt=\frac{1}{0.3\text{ }nF}\left(\frac{1}{2}(3\text{ }\mu s\times 5\text{ }mA)+3\text{ }\mu s\times 5\text{ }mA+\frac{3}{4}(5\text{ }mA\times 1\text{ }\mu s)\right)=87.50\text{ }V\neq 81.3\text{ }V[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

For the capacitor, you would need to integrate from t=0 to t=6.5 microseconds because that is the time frame specified in the problem. The voltage across the capacitor at any given time is determined by the current flowing through it at that time, so you need to take into account the entire time frame given in order to get the correct voltage.

In your solution, it looks like you may have made a mistake in the calculation. The correct solution should be:

(c) v(t)=\frac{1}{0.3\text{ }nF}\int_0^{6.5\text{ }\mu s} i(t)dt=\frac{1}{0.3\text{ }nF}\left(\frac{1}{2}(3\text{ }\mu s\times 5\text{ }mA)+3\text{ }\mu s\times 5\text{ }mA+\frac{3}{4}(5\text{ }mA\times 1\text{ }\mu s)\right)=81.25\text{ }V

This would give you the correct answer of 81.3 V, as stated in the forum post. I hope this helps!

1. How do I calculate the voltage across a resistor?

The voltage across a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that V = I * R, where V is the voltage in volts, I is the current in amps, and R is the resistance in ohms.

2. How is the voltage across an inductor different from the voltage across a resistor?

The voltage across an inductor is different from the voltage across a resistor because inductors store energy in the form of a magnetic field, while resistors dissipate energy in the form of heat. This means that the voltage across an inductor can change over time, while the voltage across a resistor remains constant.

3. Can the voltage across a capacitor be negative?

Yes, the voltage across a capacitor can be negative. This occurs when the capacitor is connected in reverse polarity, causing the voltage to drop below zero. However, this is usually only a temporary condition and the voltage will eventually return to a positive value.

4. How do I find the voltage across a capacitor in a DC circuit?

In a DC circuit, the voltage across a capacitor can be calculated using the formula V = Q/C, where V is the voltage in volts, Q is the charge in coulombs, and C is the capacitance in farads. The charge can be calculated by multiplying the capacitance by the voltage applied to the capacitor.

5. Is there a difference in the voltage across elements in a series vs. parallel circuit?

Yes, there is a difference in the voltage across elements in a series vs. parallel circuit. In a series circuit, the voltage across each element will add up to the total voltage of the circuit, while in a parallel circuit, the voltage across each element will be the same as the total voltage of the circuit.