Given n points on the unit circle

In summary, the problem involves finding a lower bound for the product of distances from a point p to points on the unit circle, given by ai for i=0,...,n. The maximum modulus principle, which states that a nonconstant holomorphic function on a closed set attains its maximum value on the boundary, can be applied to show that the product function, f(x)=(x-a_0)(x-a_1)(x-a_2)...(x-a_n), attains its maximum on the boundary of the unit circle as well. By considering the abs value of this function, it can be shown that there is a point p on the interior of the unit circle such that |f(x)|=1, and therefore the
ModernLogic
Let a0, . . . , an be points on the unit circle. Show that there is some other point p on the unit circle such that the product of the distances from p to ai for i=0,...,n at least 1. (Hint: Maximum Modulus Principle)

Maximum Modulus Principle: Let f be a nonconstant holomorphic function in the open connected subset G of C. Then absolute value of f does not attain a local maximum.

Man, I'm so stuck on this problem. I can't seem to figure out how the maximum modulus principle relates to the problem. Besides, the problem is asking me to find the lower bound for the product whereas the the maximum modulus principle states that there is no upper bound. I'm so confused.

Anything would help from you geniuses out there: A hint or advice.

Regards,
Steve

Physics news on Phys.org
That is one statement of the maximum modulus principle, which can be restated in terms of closed sets. in this case it could be taken to mean that any holomorphic function on a closed disc attains it maximum absolute value on the boundary.

What is the distance from p to the a_i? it is |p-a_i|, so we are looking at the product of these things so we want to consider the

f(x)=(x-a_0)(x-a_1)(x-a_2)..(x-a_n)

when x is inside (or on) the unit circle, now the maximum modulus principle tells us that |f(x)| is attained on the boundary, all we need do now is show that at some point in the interior |f(x)|=1 and we are done. obviously there is only one distinguished point in the interior of the disc...

matt grime said:
That is one statement of the maximum modulus principle, which can be restated in terms of closed sets. in this case it could be taken to mean that any holomorphic function on a closed disc attains it maximum absolute value on the boundary.

Interesting. Thanks for the insight, Matt.

But just because a nonconstant holomorphic function doesn't attain a local maximum on an open disc, doesn't imply that it does on a closed disc. At least, I can't make that immediate connection.

the maximum modulus principle simply states that on a closed bound set such as the disc that the maximum occurs on the boudnary exactyl because there are no local maxima on the interior:

a holomorphic function is continuous, thus |f(x)| is continuousand hence on any compact set (closed and bounded) |f| is bounded and attains its bounds, it cannot happen on the interior by the maximum modulus principle so it happens on the boundary.

i am not claiming a local maximum (ie a turning point) on the boundary (it may not even be defined outside the boundary) but a global maxmium on the closed set.

Last edited:
matt grime said:
the maximum modulus principle simply states that on a closed bound set such as the disc that the maximum occurs on the boudnary exactyl because there are no local maxima on the interior:

a holomorphic function is continuous, thus |f(x)| is continuousand hence on any compact set (closed and bounded) |f| is bounded and attains its bounds, it cannot happen on the interior by the maximum modulus principle so it happens on the boundary.

i am not claiming a local maximum (ie a turning point) on the boundary (it may not even be defined outside the boundary) but a global maxmium on the closed set.

What about this though: Consider the holomorphic function f(x) = -(X-2)(X-3) which achieves a global maximum somewhere between 2 and 3. Now define this function on the interval [2,3]. |f(x)| doesn't achieve its maximum on the boundary.

Once again, thanks for your insights, Matt. They've been very help thus far.

ModernLogic said:
What about this though: Consider the holomorphic function f(x) = -(X-2)(X-3) which achieves a global maximum somewhere between 2 and 3.

Does it? I don't think it does, since we are talking about functions defined on the complex plane. And anyway, we are talking about the abs value anyway.

Now define this function on the interval [2,3]. |f(x)| doesn't achieve its maximum on the boundary/

but we aren't talking about f as a function on a subset of C with the boundary taken there, are we? Remember we are talking about discs in the complex plane and their boundaries.

matt grime said:
Does it? I don't think it does, since we are talking about functions defined on the complex plane. And anyway, we are talking about the abs value anyway.

but we aren't talking about f as a function on a subset of C with the boundary taken there, are we? Remember we are talking about discs in the complex plane and their boundaries.

Oh, I see. They have to be discs. Cause [2,3] is still a subset of C.

They don't have to be discs, but i was sticking to them since they are easiest to decribe. THis result remains true under more general circumstances since the maximum moduls principle apples to any open connected subset of C, so as long as we are dealing with the closure of an open connected subset of C the maxmimum cannot occur on the open subset but on its boundary.

1. How do you find the coordinates of the n points on the unit circle?

The coordinates of the n points on the unit circle can be found using the formula x = cos(t) and y = sin(t), where t is the angle measured from the positive x-axis. The angle t can be calculated by dividing 360 degrees by n, and then multiplying by the index of the point. For example, if there are 8 points on the unit circle, the angle t would be 45 degrees for the first point, 90 degrees for the second point, and so on.

2. How many points can be placed on the unit circle?

There is no limit to the number of points that can be placed on the unit circle. However, as the number of points increases, the distance between each point decreases and they become closer together.

3. What is the significance of using the unit circle in mathematics?

The unit circle is often used in mathematics to represent the relationship between the coordinates of a point on the circle and the angle measured from the positive x-axis. It is also used to define trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent, which have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation.

4. Can points on the unit circle have negative coordinates?

No, the unit circle is defined as having a radius of 1 and being centered at the origin (0,0). Therefore, all points on the unit circle must have positive coordinates.

5. How can the unit circle be used to solve equations involving trigonometric functions?

The unit circle can be used to find the values of trigonometric functions for any angle, which can then be used to solve equations involving these functions. By using the coordinates of the point on the unit circle corresponding to the given angle, the values of sine, cosine, and tangent can be determined, allowing for the solution of equations involving these functions.