Solving Schrodinger's Equation for a Particle in an Infinite Box

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential V(x,y,z) and its relation to the Schrodinger equation, with a specific focus on the x-coordinate case. The question asks if the potential can be separated into three different functions and if the approach is correct.
Boltzman Oscillation
Homework Statement
Consider a particle of mass m, what is the total energy?
Relevant Equations
V(x,y,z) = .5mw^2z^2 when 0<x<a, 0<y<a
V(x,y,z) = 0 elsewhere
Firstly, since there is no condition for the z axis in the definition of the potential can I assume that V(x,y,z) = .5mw^2z^2 when 0<x<a, 0<y<a AND -inf<z<inf?

If so then drawing the potential I can see that the particle is trapped within a box with infinite height (if z is the vertical axis). Now I know that i can separate the schrodinger equation into three parts, one with the x coordinates, one with the y coordinates, and one with the z coordinates. They are related by:

$$E_{total} = E_x + E_y + E_z$$
and
$$\psi_{total} = \psi_x * \psi_y * \psi_z$$
But when I try to solve the schrodinger in the x coordinate case, i.e:
$$\frac{-h^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 \psi_x(x)}{\partial x^2} + V(x)\psi_x(x) = E_x\psi_x$$
would V(x) = 0 since V(x,y,z) = .5mw^2z^2? Can I not separate these potentials to begin with into three different functions? Am I doing this question right? Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Boltzman Oscillation said:
Homework Statement: Consider a particle of mass m, what is the total energy?
Homework Equations: V(x,y,z) = .5mw^2z^2 when 0<x<a, 0<y<a
V(x,y,z) = 0 elsewhere

Firstly, since there is no condition for the z axis in the definition of the potential can I assume that V(x,y,z) = .5mw^2z^2 when 0<x<a, 0<y<a AND -inf<z<inf?

If so then drawing the potential I can see that the particle is trapped within a box with infinite height (if z is the vertical axis). Now I know that i can separate the schrodinger equation into three parts, one with the x coordinates, one with the y coordinates, and one with the z coordinates. They are related by:

$$E_{total} = E_x + E_y + E_z$$
and
$$\psi_{total} = \psi_x * \psi_y * \psi_z$$
But when I try to solve the schrodinger in the x coordinate case, i.e:
$$\frac{-h^2}{2m}\frac{\partial^2 \psi_x(x)}{\partial x^2} + V(x)\psi_x(x) = E_x\psi_x$$
would V(x) = 0 since V(x,y,z) = .5mw^2z^2? Can I not separate these potentials to begin with into three different functions? Am I doing this question right? Any help is appreciated.

##V## is a function of ##z## only, so it is already a separated function. Just separate out the potential into the z-equation.

1. What is Schrodinger's Equation for a Particle in an Infinite Box?

Schrodinger's Equation for a Particle in an Infinite Box is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a quantum particle confined to a one-dimensional box with infinitely high potential walls. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the energy levels and wavefunction of the particle.

2. How do you solve Schrodinger's Equation for a Particle in an Infinite Box?

To solve Schrodinger's Equation for a Particle in an Infinite Box, we use the boundary conditions that the wavefunction must be zero at the boundaries of the box. This leads to a solution in the form of a standing wave, with nodes at the boundaries and varying amplitudes in between. The energy levels of the particle are then determined by the allowed wavelengths of the standing wave.

3. What are the implications of solving Schrodinger's Equation for a Particle in an Infinite Box?

Solving Schrodinger's Equation for a Particle in an Infinite Box allows us to understand the quantization of energy levels in a confined system. This has significant implications in the study of quantum mechanics and can be applied to various systems, such as atoms, molecules, and solid-state materials.

4. What is the significance of the infinite potential walls in Schrodinger's Equation for a Particle in an Infinite Box?

The infinite potential walls in Schrodinger's Equation for a Particle in an Infinite Box represent an idealized scenario where the particle is completely confined within the box. This allows for easier calculations and a clearer understanding of the behavior of the particle. In real-life systems, the potential walls may not be infinite, but the concept of a confined particle is still applicable.

5. Can Schrodinger's Equation for a Particle in an Infinite Box be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, Schrodinger's Equation for a Particle in an Infinite Box can be extended to higher dimensions, such as a three-dimensional box or a spherical potential well. The general principles of quantization and standing waves still apply, but the mathematical expressions become more complex. This extension is important in understanding the behavior of more complex quantum systems.