Giving A DC device AC power

In summary, the question is whether a device that operates at 5 V DC can still function with a 10 V peak to peak AC voltage. The answer depends on the device, as it may not have reverse-bias protection and could potentially fry internal components. Additionally, the device may turn on and off at the same period as the input frequency. It is important to note that most devices require a steady DC supply and may have protection against reverse polarity, but will not work below a certain voltage. Therefore, it is not recommended to attempt using a higher AC voltage for a device specified to operate at DC.
salman213
I was just curious what would happen if a device working at for example, 5 V DC voltage, is given 10 V peak to peak AC voltage. Would the device still operate?

maybe it depends on the device but can someone briefly explain ..?

thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
My opinion is that it would depend on the device. If it didn't have reverse-bias protection, you could potentially fry some internal components. I also think it could be turning on and off at the same period as the input frequency.

would the on and off result from not getting enough voltage to run it. For example when it is above a certain voltage it is on, but when it drops it turns off until 1 period passes?

It would depend on device but I am sure that if it is specified that it requires DC then it must have DC.
Most devices contain integrated circuits, processors etc. These require a steady DC supply to work correctly with reference to a steady ground point. You would then be supplying 5 volts for one half cycle and then -5V for the other and obviosly crossing the 0V line at the rated mains frequency in your country. Most circuits will have some sort of protection to protect against reverse polarity but the IC's etc will not work for below a certain voltage and also reverse polarity.
So the answer to your question is don't do it!

http://www.powerups.co.uk

1. How can I convert DC power to AC power?

To convert DC power to AC power, you will need to use a device called an inverter. An inverter takes the DC power from a battery or other source and converts it into AC power that can be used by household appliances or other devices.

2. What is the difference between DC and AC power?

The main difference between DC (Direct Current) and AC (Alternating Current) power is the direction of the flow of electricity. DC power flows in only one direction, while AC power alternates direction at a certain frequency (usually 50 or 60 times per second). AC power is typically used for household appliances, while DC power is commonly used in electronics such as batteries and solar cells.

3. Can I use an inverter to power all of my devices?

It depends on the wattage of your devices and the wattage of the inverter. Make sure to check the wattage rating of your devices and choose an inverter with a higher wattage rating to ensure that it can handle the power needs of all your devices. It's also important to note that some devices, such as motors and compressors, may require a larger inverter due to their starting surge power.

4. Is it safe to use an inverter?

As with any electrical device, it is important to use an inverter properly and follow safety precautions. Make sure to read the manufacturer's instructions and warnings before using an inverter. It is also important to choose an inverter with built-in safety features such as overload protection and automatic shut-off in case of a malfunction.

5. Can I use an inverter with a solar panel?

Yes, you can use an inverter to convert the DC power generated by a solar panel into AC power that can be used by household appliances. However, it is important to choose an inverter that is specifically designed for use with solar panels to ensure compatibility and efficiency.