Tetanus Prevention Injection: Why Did Nurse Plug Plunger Back?

• Medical
  • Thread starter rohanprabhu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Injection
In summary, the nurse took a small amount of blood into the syringe before injecting the tetanus-prevention injection as a safety measure to ensure that the needle was not in a blood vessel. This is commonly done for intramuscular injections to avoid injecting directly into a vein or artery. The IM route is chosen to slow down the drug's entry into the bloodstream, which can lead to more effective results and fewer side effects. However, for some medications, direct injection into the bloodstream may be safe and desired for faster results. The location of veins and arteries in the arm can vary, so it's important to always check before injecting to avoid potential dangers.
rohanprabhu
recently i got a tetanus-prevention injection.. and i noticed that the nurse after piercing the needle, plugged the plunger back and took some blood inside the syringe [very little].. like 1/10th the solution in it and then pushed the plunger back. My question is.. why did she do that? My first guess was that she was making sure that it is being injected into a blood vessel.. but i have no idea about biology.. so i thought i'd ask it here.

Biology news on Phys.org
That's why it's done for an intravenous injection. All of my tetanus shots, however, were intramuscular. I'm not sure why she would do it for that. :confused:

rohanprabhu said:
recently i got a tetanus-prevention injection.. and i noticed that the nurse after piercing the needle, plugged the plunger back and took some blood inside the syringe [very little].. like 1/10th the solution in it and then pushed the plunger back. My question is.. why did she do that? My first guess was that she was making sure that it is being injected into a blood vessel.. but i have no idea about biology.. so i thought i'd ask it here.

No, she was making sure that the needle was not in a vein or artery. For IM injections, you can pull back slightly to be sure you don't get an easy flow of blood (which you would if you were in an artery or vein). If not much blood draws back, that means you are IM and just getting a bit of capillary blood.

Ah, that makes sense. So does this imply that something normally used as an IM injection can't be safely put into a major vessel?

Danger said:
Ah, that makes sense. So does this imply that something normally used as an IM injection can't be safely put into a major vessel?

That question goes a bit beyond my training (EMT). The IM route is chosen to lengthen the amount of time it takes for the drug to enter the bloodstream. If it hits the bloodstream all at once, it would seem that the desired effects may not occur correctly, and side effects could be aggrevated. It would take a paramedic, nurse or a doc to give a knowledgeable answer, though.

I was totally unaware of that reason for IM. Thanks muchly for the info.

It depends on what is being injected as to whether it would be safe to go directly into the blood stream. Sometimes that is the case. In the case of a vaccination, you want the vaccine to stay in one place long enough to develop an appropriate response to the vaccine so you develop the immunity. In the case of some other drugs, both routes are safe, but an injection IM will provide slower delivery of the drug to circulation than IV...if you want a quick action, but rapid clearance, IV is desired. If you want a slower, more constant release, IM or subcutaneous (SC) are desired.

If you see blood when you draw back on a syringe for an IM injection, you should move the needle so you don't inject it into the bloodstream directly. There's a lot of variation in the location of veins and arteries in the arm, as well as how much fat and muscle people have, so you can't just rely on a spot always being safe for an injection in everyone without checking you haven't landed in a big blood vessel.

1. What is a tetanus prevention injection?

A tetanus prevention injection is a vaccine that protects against the bacterial infection known as tetanus, also called lockjaw. Tetanus is caused by a bacteria called Clostridium tetani, and the vaccine helps the body develop immunity to the bacteria.

2. How does the tetanus prevention injection work?

The tetanus vaccine contains a small amount of the tetanus toxin, which is enough to trigger the body's immune response but not enough to cause an infection. The body then produces antibodies to fight against the toxin, providing immunity against tetanus.

3. Why is it important to receive a tetanus prevention injection?

Tetanus is a serious infection that can cause muscle stiffness, spasms, and even death. The bacteria that causes tetanus is commonly found in soil, dust, and manure, and can enter the body through a wound or cut. Receiving the tetanus vaccine is the best way to prevent the infection.

4. How often do I need to get a tetanus prevention injection?

The tetanus vaccine is recommended every 10 years for adults. However, if you have a wound that is deep or dirty and it has been more than 5 years since your last tetanus shot, it is recommended to get a booster shot. Children should receive a series of tetanus vaccinations starting at 2 months old, with boosters given at ages 4-6 and 11-12.

5. Why did the nurse plug the plunger back after administering the tetanus prevention injection?

After administering the injection, the nurse may have pulled the plunger back slightly to check for blood. If blood is present, it could indicate that the needle has entered a blood vessel, and the vaccine may not be as effective. In this case, the nurse may need to re-administer the vaccine in a different location.