Give Back Pain: Avoiding a 3rd Stop

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pain
In summary: Older cars were built with weaker materials and didn't have airbags or other safety features. Newer cars are built with stronger materials and have airbags and other safety features. Seatbelts should be banned and cars should be fitted with a 6inch steel spike in the centre of the steering wheel - SUVs should have claymore mines mounted on the dash.In summary, seatbelts should be banned because they are useless, cars should have a 6inch steel spike in the center of the steering wheel, and SUVs should have claymore mines mounted on the dash.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
This one copper has stopped me three times for not wearing a seat belt, i tell him every time i would be dead if i wore one when i had my accident, but will he listen, i see him coming a mile away and am all ways out of my car before he (stops) me, for sure the next time i will deck him.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not wearing a seatbelt is pure stupidity; you get no sympathy from me on this one.
Your candy-coated crotch sounded a bit painful, though, so a tiny bit of sympathy for that one.

Danger said:
Not wearing a seatbelt is pure stupidity
Seatbelts should be banned and cars should be fitted with a 6inch steel spike in the centre of the steering wheel - SUVs should have claymore mines mounted on the dash.

Signed
A cyclist.

Danger said:
Not wearing a seatbelt is pure stupidity; you get no sympathy from me on this one.
Your candy-coated crotch sounded a bit painful, though, so a tiny bit of sympathy for that one.

So you would welcome a steering wheel through you chest?

wolram said:
So you would welcome a steering wheel through you chest?

Huh? That's what you get if you DON'T wear a seat belt...or a head wound from hitting the windshield. People actually survive accidents with little more than bruises that would have been fatal were they not wearing their seatbelts. My uncle and cousins run a towing business that has been operating since before I was born. They are amazed at what people walk away from nowadays that would have been a fatal wreck when I was still a kid (and they were some pretty gorey fatalities too).

Moonbear said:
Huh? That's what you get if you DON'T wear a seat belt...or a head wound from hitting the windshield. People actually survive accidents with little more than bruises that would have been fatal were they not wearing their seatbelts. My uncle and cousins run a towing business that has been operating since before I was born. They are amazed at what people walk away from nowadays that would have been a fatal wreck when I was still a kid (and they were some pretty gorey fatalities too).

Well when i had my wreak the seat belt belt would have held me in place, it was with some quirk that i was pushed side ways, there is no way i would alive today if i had been wearing a seat belt.

The number of injuries made worse by seatbelts, divided by the number of injuries made better by seatbelts, tends to zero.

- Warren

wolram said:
This one copper has stopped me three times for not wearing a seat belt, i tell him every time i would be dead if i wore one when i had my accident, but will he listen, i see him coming a mile away and am all ways out of my car before he (stops) me, for sure the next time i will deck him.

When do you call someone "copper"? :shy:

When he is
  • a copper and you are British
  • Cu2
  • #B87333
  • in a game you are playing (also, see first item)

(yay for disambig pages)

Dumbass, put your damn belt on!

Remember, the guys at NASCAR, who really need to be able to survive high speed crashes, wear 'em.

In most accidents, you'll be far better off with the seatbelt than without. The copper was a twat not to give you 3 points each of the times he's caught you. Put it on Woolly.

Most seatbelt injuries today are due to seatbelts worn improperly (I CRINGE when I see people on TV shows with the shoulder belt tucked under their arms...THAT is a good way to get internal injuries and broken ribs). The lap part of the belt should be low, over the hip bones, not across your belly, and the shoulder belt should be across the shoulder. Yes, you still might wind up with an injury...a broken collar bone for example...but WAY more survivable and much better long-term prognosis than slamming your forehead into the windshield or your chest into the steering wheel.

Belt up wolram. :smile:

The fact is they are something that save so many people, your anecdotal evidence probably proves you're still alive because you wore one.

wolram said:
i tell him every time i would be dead if i wore one when i had my accident,

To be fair, it sounds more like an aversion due to the above circumstance rather than being stubborn.

Wolram- go ahead and wear one. It's OK. The chances of the same thing happening are pretty far out there. The chance of getting hit by a car on the side of the road as you're arguing with the cop are probably much higher. :<)

Woolie, was your accident a long time ago, or in an older car?

Newer cars are designed differently, and much safer, than the old ones. They're built to maintain structural integrity of the cab, and all safety systems - the belts, the airbags, the crumple zones - are designed to work together.

As has been stated before, the probability of a seat belt saving your life greatly outweighs the probability that it will harm you even more.

It's like you saying you choked on a piece of fruit once, therefore eating fruit for the nutritional value is just not worth it, because you might choke on it again.

Poop-Loops said:
It's like you saying you choked on a piece of fruit once, therefore eating fruit for the nutritional value is just not worth it, because you might choke on it again.

Nope, it's more like saying he avoided choking on a particular piece of fruit by not eating it, and therefore he should never eat any fruit again.

1. What is the cause of back pain?

The cause of back pain can vary, but it is often due to strain or injury to the muscles, ligaments, or discs in the back. It can also be caused by underlying medical conditions such as arthritis or osteoporosis.

2. How can I prevent back pain?

To prevent back pain, it is important to maintain good posture, exercise regularly to strengthen the back muscles, and avoid activities that put excessive strain on the back. It is also important to maintain a healthy weight and avoid smoking, as these can contribute to back pain.

3. What are some common triggers for back pain?

Some common triggers for back pain include improper lifting techniques, sitting for extended periods of time, and sudden movements or twisting of the back. Stress and poor sleep can also contribute to back pain.

4. How can I treat back pain?

The treatment for back pain will depend on the cause and severity of the pain. It may include over-the-counter pain relievers, physical therapy, stretching and strengthening exercises, or in severe cases, surgery. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.

5. Can back pain be a sign of a more serious condition?

In some cases, back pain could be a symptom of a more serious underlying condition such as a spinal infection or tumor. If the pain is severe, persistent, or accompanied by other symptoms, it is important to seek medical attention for proper diagnosis and treatment.