Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Giving detectives nightmares

1. Apr 20, 2008 #1
    I just watched one of those crime shows on tv. They sprayed a chemical on a wall then turned on a black light and the chemical glowed if there was any blood on the wall. Even if the wall had been wiped clean. From now on everytime I wash my walls I'm going to drip a few drops of blood into my cleaning bucket then if in the future my place becomes a crime scene (which is possible in my neighborhood) if they spray that stuff on my walls it will look like a massacre took place there.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2008 #2
    Sounds good =) Luminol is actually pretty cool to play around with: the iron in your blood catalyzes its oxidation. I don't actually know what they spray on prior to using the UV light, as I was under the impression that UV-B rays would cause blood to fluoresce, naturally.

4. Apr 20, 2008 #3
    Or you can just drop a lot of blood in the paint.

5. Apr 20, 2008 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you really want to bug the cops, you'd do this instead (from xkcd): [​IMG]

6. Apr 21, 2008 #5
    does it even have to be a lot of blood? The way they made it sound on tv just a couple drops should be enough to cover the walls.

7. Apr 21, 2008 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are planning to put up wallpaper.
    Get some blood (or red paint) and write "I will kill again" in large letters on the wall before covering with wallpaper.
    Ok - you don't get to see the punchline when the next owners redecorate, but you can imagine!

8. Apr 21, 2008 #7
    I've got some markers that show up under a black light. I've been writing stuff on walls for years in case the next person who lives there is a stoner. I like to write stuff like "Help Me" and "Let me out" and "I'm watching you"

9. Apr 21, 2008 #8

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Haha, great idea. That would keep them scratching their heads for a while.

On a vaguely related note, I decided a while ago that if I ever kill myself, I'm going to take a small key and a capsule containing a cryptic note (possibly in code) and a map of a fictitious location and swallow them, then top myself in such a way that would require a post mortem. Hopefully the detectives would be puzzling over that for years.

10. Apr 21, 2008 #9

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm sure you can get the blood from some animal, but then that would be cruel.

11. Apr 21, 2008 #10
    How about at a slaughterhouse?

12. Apr 21, 2008 #11
    How about that hooker I killed last week?

13. Apr 21, 2008 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, cruel to me and my back having to catch them (that's what I spent my morning doing, collecting blood from sheep that behaved more like little bulldozers...they were short, stocky sheep who would get their heads down and just keep going...I wonder if I'm going to be able to stand up straight tomorrow).

I love those detective shows as much for the comedy value as the drama aspect. "I need a DNA analysis in an hour," never mind that you can't actually do it that quickly and that you have no reference sample, afterall, they have that big government database with everyone's genetic fingerprints in it to match it. :rofl:

14. Apr 21, 2008 #13
    I think if you throw bleach over blood it destroys the plasma. They wont be able to extract the dna.

15. Apr 21, 2008 #14
    Has to be very tacky wallpaper. To ensure they take it down.

16. Apr 21, 2008 #15
    A new business is born. Instant Crime Scene Clean UP open 24/7 free estimates call big AL at 567-888-KILL

There are already companies that do it after the investigations.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?