Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Giving up shaving

1. Nov 12, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I think it is luxury to not have to shave, and what a waste of time ,10 mins spent every day
    in front of a mirror grinding your face because you forgot to buy new razors.

How many of you sport a beard?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2008 #2
    my genes provide me the luxury to not have to shave every day... maybe once a week...

4. Nov 12, 2008 #3
    I knock 'em in with a hammer and bite 'em off on the inside.

5. Nov 12, 2008 #4

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

I have a beard, but I still shave (electric) most days to stop it spreading too far, and frequently have to trim it to keep it tidy.

6. Nov 12, 2008 #5
    It's no shave November right now, so I'm not shaving. My friends who don't have to shave for work are also not shaving for this month.

7. Nov 12, 2008 #6

turbo

Gold Member

Mustache and goatee - don't have the genes to grow a full beard due to too much Native American blood.

8. Nov 12, 2008 #7

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I stopped shaving again a few weeks back because I couldn't be bothered.

9. Nov 12, 2008 #8

wolram

Gold Member

Wow, that is great for you.

10. Nov 12, 2008 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I just have Tsu braid my back and toe hair. Much easier than shaving.

11. Nov 12, 2008 #10

wolram

Gold Member

I only have a hairy chest and arms, as yet no hair on legs, back or toes, i think i would worry if hair started growing on my toes.

12. Nov 12, 2008 #11

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

My hairline receded nearly out of sight in my 20s, but I grew a huge beard to make up for it. People seemed to think it was very funny to ask whether my head was on the right way up.

13. Nov 12, 2008 #12
    I've got hairy everything including toes. I also sport a beard but I keep it short. So I shave maybe every three days or so with an electric since I'm not trying to impress anyone. Besides, if you make your self look to groomed, people aren't going to believe that your a grad student.

14. Nov 12, 2008 #13

wolram

Gold Member

Ever the artistic type.:smile:

15. Nov 12, 2008 #14

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Before Dr. House, before Miami Vice even, I have sported the "unshaven" look. Whenever someone askes "are you growing a beard?" then I know it's time to shave. It's about once a week. I wish I could keep the perpetual 3 day growth, but when you "trim" with the electric razor, it doesn't look or feel right. After 6 days it's itchy.

16. Nov 12, 2008 #15
    I'm with you, Wolram, some ten minutes after shaving my cheek is coarse again. But I bravely continue the battle for various reasons, including:

1: wearing gas masks and beards don't interact very well.

2: an aesthetical disaster

3: daughters (and Evo) hate beards.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  17. Nov 12, 2008 #16

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mustache & goatee.....wife says I'm trying to be stylish and acting younger than my 43 years.....

Me, I'm just lazy and have threatened to grow my entire beard out, problem is that it is what I already grew out is 4 colors and am afraid of the rest....(none of them match the color of my hair on top of my head).

18. Nov 12, 2008 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I bet you look like a calico.

19. Nov 12, 2008 #18
    i seem to have this curse as well, and wasn't even all that native, i didn't think.

20. Nov 12, 2008 #19

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My face fuzz comes in half brown and half blonde so it looks like I have really sparse growth but its just patches of blonde.

21. Nov 12, 2008 #20

turbo

Gold Member

My father has the same facial hair-pattern that I do. He is Irish on his father's side and German and native on his mother's side. Then I got a double-dose of native-American genes from my mother's French-Canadian family. The French intermarried heavily with the native tribes when they came here to trap, trade, and farm. For many French immigrants, they could barely afford their own passage, and if they wanted companionship and families, they intermarried.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?