Discover Glace Luxury Ice - Cools Quickly & Minimizes Dilution

• Thread starter Bloodthunder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary, these ice spheres claim to have a "maximum cooling" effect, but in reality, they are the slowest to chill. They also sell cubes of the same ice, which is a better option for cooling.
Bloodthunder
I just got to know about spherical ice recently, and chanced upon this website.

http://www.glace-ice.com/

And I can't help but wonder. Sure, it's pretty. Yes, it's very clear ice. But maximum cooling and minimum dilution? Ice cools the drink by conduction. So the rate of heat transfer is dependent on surface area. And after heat is absorbed from the drink to the ice, it's not like the specific heat capacity or the latent heat of fusion has changed any. So... either the drink takes a much longer time to chill, or it's just a piece of ice in a fancy shape that still dilutes the drink at roughly the same time as any kind of ice would. Or both. I don't know.

Also, it is said the ice may be "aged" for a period of 3 to 4 minutes, to allow the ice to acclimate to room temperature and cause a "frost" to form on the surface. What is the use of this? Only thing I can see is that the ice is now at approximate zero degrees. Why can't drinks be poured over the drink at a temperature below zero degrees?

Was just thinking...

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems to me if they drilled a bunch of holes in the sphere it would have "maximum cooling" because it would increase the surface area.

Did you see the price on these things? 5 bucks per sphere!

Best. Scam. Ever!

[and I think it was $10 per sphere]

Plays on the math/physics ignorance of the rich. The surface area of a sphere is the MINIMUM for that volume. Given the same amount of ice in a plain old rectangular or cubical ice cube the surface area will be noticeably larger.

What they're really selling, the heart of the scam, is that it looks DIFFERENT than normal ice and is elegant in shape compared to a prosaic old rectangular ice cube.

Come on now, wouldn't that appeal to you? No? Well if you're that smart, you're probably not rich so they don't need you anyway.

Not sure I really consider this a scam, as in any kind of outrageous claims that the maker is suggesting. The only falsehood is the "maximum cooling" since the shape of the ice is a sphere. However, their "minimum dilution" would seem to be correct, for the exact reasons that "maximum cooling" is incorrect.

I don't think anyone would spend this kind of cash on some ice because of it's "maximum cooling" effects. They're going to spend the cash because it looks cool (it DOES look cool).

I mean, I could totally see government bureaucrats or hollywood uberrich splurging on this stuff. I don't see it any more ridiculous than $1000 purses or shoes!

Last edited:
phinds said:
Plays on the math/physics ignorance of the rich. The surface area of a sphere is the MINIMUM for that volume. Given the same amount of ice in a plain old rectangular or cubical ice cube the surface area will be noticeably larger.

Oddly enough, they also sell cubed ice.

2631187.jpg

(Source: http://www.glaceice.net/purchase.html)

So, they tout the benefits of spherical ice while selling it in cube form? I don't even know what silliness I'm supposed to believe now.

EDIT: Side note, I have these: http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/ba37/

They're pretty slick, but I enjoy a little water with my scotch. They stay in the freezer for quests to try. Still fun. And WAY better than $10 ice cubes.

larrybud said:
Not sure I really consider this a scam, as in any kind of outrageous claims that the maker is suggesting. The only falsehood is the "maximum cooling" since the shape of the ice is a sphere. However, their "minimum dilution" would seem to be correct, for the exact reasons that "maximum cooling" is incorrect.

I don't think anyone would spend this kind of cash on some ice because of it's "maximum cooling" effects.
It's ice. In liquer. There is no such thing as "maximum cooling effect". Regardless of the shape, the same amount will melt , to reach equilibrium in seconds.

FlexGunship said:
EDIT: Side note, I have these: http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/ba37/

They're pretty slick, but I enjoy a little water with my scotch. They stay in the freezer for quests to try. Still fun. And WAY better than $10 ice cubes.

What happens when you throw the drink "back" and a whiskey stone chips your tooth?

Greg Bernhardt said:
What happens when you throw the drink "back" and a whiskey stone chips your tooth?

Soap stone! It's softer than enamel. You'll chip the stone with your tooth, not the other way around. My friend got me these whiskey stones, and his girlfriend had the same concern.

Any subliminal images in the ice?

As a sphere has the minimum surface area for a given volume, and cooling is proportional to surface area, this ice cube would have the SLOWEST cooling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-area-to-volume_ratio
A tetrahedron would be better at cooling, I suspect a fatal icecube would be best.

Glace is made with purified water to ensure its tasteless quality. Suits me to a tee.

What is Glace Luxury Ice?

Glace Luxury Ice is a type of ice that is specifically designed for use in cocktails and other beverages. It is made from pure, filtered water and is free from impurities that can affect the taste of your drink.

How does Glace Luxury Ice cool drinks quickly?

Glace Luxury Ice is made using a unique freezing process that creates a larger, denser ice cube. This means that it has a larger surface area, allowing it to cool drinks more quickly than regular ice cubes.

How does Glace Luxury Ice minimize dilution?

Glace Luxury Ice is made from pure, filtered water and has a denser structure than regular ice cubes. This means that it takes longer to melt, reducing the amount of water that is added to your drink and minimizing dilution.

Is Glace Luxury Ice safe to consume?

Yes, Glace Luxury Ice is made from pure, filtered water and is free from impurities. It is safe to consume and has been tested and approved by food safety agencies.

Can Glace Luxury Ice be used in any type of drink?

Yes, Glace Luxury Ice can be used in any type of drink, from cocktails to iced coffee. Its larger size and denser structure make it ideal for use in any beverage that requires ice.