Solving Glancing Collisions: Velocity & Energy Loss

• Thread starter MattF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collisions
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the collision of two pucks on a frictionless surface, with one puck initially at rest and the other moving with a given velocity. The conversation explores the final velocity of the two pucks after the collision, using the conservation of momentum and vector sum calculations. The conversation also discusses the calculation of the fraction of kinetic energy lost in the collision.
MattF
I have a bit of a problem with this question:

A 0.30-kg puck, initially at rest on a frictionless horizontal surface, is struck by a 0.20-kg puck that is intitially moving along the x-axis with a velocity of 2.0 m/s. After the collision, the 0.20-kg puck has a speed of 1 m/s at an angle of 53 degrees to the positive x-axis. (a) Determine the velocity of the 0.30-kg puck after the collision. (b) Find the fraction of the kinetic energy lost in the collision.

mass one= 0.20 kg
mass two= 0.30 kg

First off, is it possible to say that after the collision the two objects move off at an angle of 90 degrees from each other?

The initial momentum of the stationary puck is zero, so according to the conservation of momentum I get 0.667 m/s as the final velocity of the 0.30-kg puck. Is this correct? Do I have to factor in separate velocity along the x- and y-axis?

For (b), I'm not sure what to do. How do I find the energy loss?

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, is it possible to say that after the collision the two objects move off at an angle of 90 degrees from each other?

If I were your teacher, I'd require you to prove that before you could use it. Your mileage may vary.

Split the problem into components parallel to and perpendicular to the initial velocity of the puck. You know that the total momentum parallel to the initial velocity must be the same both before and after the collision, and that the total momentum perpendicular to that velocity should be zero. That should give you enough information to find the velocity (both parallel to and perpendicular to the initial velocity) of the second puck. From there, the total velocity is just a vector sum away.

For the second part - well, once you have all the velocities involved, just figure out what the total kinetic energy was before the collision (easy, since there's only one object moving) and what it is after the collision (not much harder - just get the kinetic energies for each object and add them), and Bob's your uncle.

Ok, I think I got it now. Final velocity of mass one in the x-direction is 0.6 m/s, and for the y-direction 0.8 m/s.

Conservation of momentum in the x-direction;

[tex]m_1v_1_x_i+m_2v_2_x_i=m_1v_1_x_f+m_2v_2_x_f[/tex]

Solve for [tex]v_2_x_f[/tex], and I get 0.933 m/s.

Do the above, only now for velocity in the y-direction, and I get 0.8 m/s. Vector sum equals 1.23 m/s, which is the final velocity of mass two. Is this correct now?

For loss of kinetic energy I get 0.073 J.

Thanks for the tip!

1. What is a glancing collision?

A glancing collision is a type of collision where two objects collide at an angle rather than head-on. In this type of collision, the objects do not have the same initial velocity and the direction of their velocities change after the collision.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of objects after a glancing collision?

The velocity of objects after a glancing collision can be calculated using the conservation of momentum and the conservation of energy principles. The equations for these principles can be written as:

Momentum: m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'

Energy: ½m1v1² + ½m2v2² = ½m1v1'² + ½m2v2'²

where m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, v1 and v2 are their initial velocities, and v1' and v2' are their final velocities.

3. How is energy lost in a glancing collision?

In a glancing collision, some energy is lost due to friction and deformation of the objects involved. This is known as the coefficient of restitution, which is a measure of how much energy is lost during a collision. It is represented by the symbol e and can have values between 0 and 1, with 1 representing a perfectly elastic collision where no energy is lost.

4. What factors can affect the velocity and energy loss in a glancing collision?

The velocity and energy loss in a glancing collision can be affected by several factors such as the mass and initial velocity of the objects, the angle of collision, and the coefficient of restitution. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role in the velocity and energy loss.

5. How can the principles of glancing collisions be applied in real-life scenarios?

The principles of glancing collisions can be applied in various real-life scenarios, such as car crashes, sports, and engineering. In car crashes, understanding the velocity and energy loss can help in designing safer cars and improving safety measures. In sports, such as billiards and golf, these principles are used to predict the movement of objects and improve gameplay. In engineering, these principles are applied in designing structures and machines to withstand collisions and minimize damage.