Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Glass (categorising)

1. Aug 12, 2011 #1
    Me and my colleagues are in disagreement over a question that appears on a paper. The question is-To which category does glass belong? A) Natural B)Metals C)Ceramics or D) Plastics. Although I am aware that Sand and Silica are natural products and glass can be created when lightening strikes. I dont think glass is a natural as I dont think there is a natural category as such.I think it is a ceramic, Please could you tell me if I am correct or am way off the mark as usual.

Thanks in anticipation,

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2011 #2
    Hello sculduggery & welcome to PF

If I was to choose from those categories, My choice would be Ceramics too.

It's true that there are a huge number of naturaly occurring Glasses but I wouldn't place glass under naturals because it's not neccessarily natural all the time :) But its always a ceramic if I my knowledge is correct. A very famous and pricy naturaly occurring glass is Opal (the gemstone) because its an amorphous SiO2 with high water content (5-10%).

Best Wishes

4. Aug 14, 2011 #3
    Thanks Panthera.

I have posted this on several forums and this is the only reply I have had, Sounds like a good answer too, Thanks again.

Robert

5. Aug 26, 2011 #4
    yeah glass is categorized as ceramic material, and yes ceramics also do occur naturally; look for Obsidian, a naturally occuring glass in volcanic eruptions.
    but nevertheless its always a ceramic.

6. Aug 27, 2011 #5
    Thank you Mallick

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook