Glass crack on Aluminum and Copper tungsten

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with a cracked glass due to thermal strain/stress caused by different coefficients of thermal expansion in the materials involved. The poster is seeking help in calculating the thermal strain on the glass and simulating the design in Solidworks. The equation ΔL=κ∇T is suggested to calculate the thermal strain, and the need to define the properties of the glue as a separate material in the simulation is mentioned.
andy203

Homework Statement

Here is the issue I met.Could you refer to attached file?

1.We glued one piece aluminum block and one piece copper tungsten block on substrate.
The aluminum and copper tungsten block have different height.The glue thickness underneath them
is different.
2.Then,we glued one piece glass on aluminum block and copper tungsten block.

3.However,after 120°C storage for overnight,we found crack as marked in the red.
We suspect the crack is due to thermal strain/stress.
4.We want to find a way to calculate the thermal strain/stress on the glass.

Here are some information that I can provide at this moment.

Glass material Silicon: 2.6X10E-6/°C
Copper tungsten:CuW, 6.5X10E-6/°C
Aluminum: 22X10E-6/°C
Glue:H20E epoxy CTE ,31X10E-6 /°C
Substrate:AlN 5.3X10E-6/°C

Homework Equations

ΔL=κ∇T.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to use solidworks to simulate this design.The most hard thing for me is to define the glue property.Since the height of aluminum and copper tungsten is different.

Highly appreciated if anyone can give me some help.

Attachments

• Picture.docx
    42.9 KB · Views: 678
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your issue with us. From what you have described, it does seem like the crack in the glass is likely due to thermal strain or stress caused by the different coefficients of thermal expansion (CTE) of the materials involved.

To calculate the thermal strain on the glass, you can use the equation you have provided: ΔL=κ∇T, where ΔL is the change in length, κ is the coefficient of thermal expansion, and ∇T is the temperature gradient.

For this specific case, you will need to calculate the thermal strain for each individual material (glass, copper tungsten, aluminum, glue, and substrate) and then add them together to get the total thermal strain on the glass. This will help you determine the level of stress that the glass is experiencing and whether it is within its limits of elasticity.

As for simulating the design in Solidworks, you will need to define the properties of the glue as a separate material with its own CTE. You can then apply this material to the glue layer in your simulation model.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on any of the steps. Good luck with your simulation!

1. What causes glass cracks on aluminum and copper tungsten?

Glass cracks on aluminum and copper tungsten can be caused by thermal stress, mechanical stress, and chemical reactions between the materials. The differences in thermal expansion coefficients between glass and these metals can lead to cracks when they are exposed to temperature changes. Mechanical stress can also occur due to the mismatch in hardness between glass and these metals. In addition, certain chemical reactions can weaken the glass and cause it to crack.

2. Can glass cracks on aluminum and copper tungsten be prevented?

Yes, glass cracks on aluminum and copper tungsten can be prevented by using materials with similar thermal expansion coefficients, avoiding mechanical stress, and protecting the glass from chemical reactions. Proper handling and storage of the materials can also help prevent cracks.

3. How can glass cracks on aluminum and copper tungsten be repaired?

The best way to repair glass cracks on aluminum and copper tungsten is through professional glass repair services. They have the necessary equipment and expertise to repair the cracks without damaging the surrounding materials. DIY repairs may not be effective and can potentially cause further damage.

4. Is it safe to use materials with glass cracks on aluminum and copper tungsten?

It is generally not recommended to use materials with glass cracks on aluminum and copper tungsten as they can weaken the overall structure and potentially cause further damage. It is best to replace the damaged materials to ensure safety and prevent any potential hazards.

5. Can glass cracks on aluminum and copper tungsten be an indication of a larger problem?

Yes, glass cracks on aluminum and copper tungsten can be an indication of a larger problem such as improper material selection, poor manufacturing processes, or inadequate handling and storage. It is important to investigate the cause of the cracks and address any underlying issues to prevent future damage.