1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Glass marble is dropped down an elevator shaft

1. Nov 24, 2003 #1
    A glass marble is dropped down an elevator shaft and hits a thick glass plate on top of an elevatior that is descending at a speed of 2.0 m/s. The marble hits the glass plate 3.0 m below the point from which it was dropped. If the collision is elastic how high will the marble rise, relative to the point from which it was dropped?

So far, I let the point of impact have potential energy = 0, which would make the top of the fall have a PE of 29.4m J. That would mean that the kinetic energy just before impact would be 29.4m = 0.5mv^2. Solving for v I got 7.7 m/s. All I need help with is figuring out the velocity just after impact, and I think I can take it from there. I thought it was just (7.7 - 2)m/s, but I'm not sure.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2003 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Collision

That's the velocity of the marble relative to the elevator after impact. Now find the velocity with repect to ground before finding the final height.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?