Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Glass tube/pipe production?

1. Jun 21, 2011 #1
    Shortly: How is glass tube produced?

I'm currently working on a project, in which I am planning to use glass tubes of sizes 1.5m length, 1.8mm thickness, 4cm and 5cm outer diameters. It will be cost effective to produce my own glass tubes when I start the mass production of the overall product, therefore I'm planning to do so.

However, I have no knowledge nor experience about glass tube production. I don't even know how to search for it by Google. Can you please help me by giving me a starting point about glass tube production? What machinery & tools will I need? How much money do I have to invest for this purpose?

Any help will be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2011 #2
    I think you may be underestimating the cost and expertise required to set up a glass tubing production line, as well as the volume required to break even. I've never seen a facility *other* than a glass factory that produced its own tubing, but I've seen a lot of factories, large multi-lab institutions, glass workshops, etc. that purchase it as raw stock.

But decide for yourself. The two processes you need to research are the Danner Process and the Vello Process. Both are pretty well explained on the web.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook