How to Produce Glass Tubes for Industrial Use?

• Thread starter hkBattousai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass
In summary, the speaker is planning to use glass tubes in a project and wants to produce them themselves in order to save money. They ask for guidance on how to start and the cost involved. The other person warns that setting up a glass tubing production line may be more expensive and difficult than expected, and suggests researching the Danner Process and Vello Process as starting points.
hkBattousai
Shortly: How is glass tube produced?

I'm currently working on a project, in which I am planning to use glass tubes of sizes 1.5m length, 1.8mm thickness, 4cm and 5cm outer diameters. It will be cost effective to produce my own glass tubes when I start the mass production of the overall product, therefore I'm planning to do so.

However, I have no knowledge nor experience about glass tube production. I don't even know how to search for it by Google. Can you please help me by giving me a starting point about glass tube production? What machinery & tools will I need? How much money do I have to invest for this purpose?

Any help will be appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think you may be underestimating the cost and expertise required to set up a glass tubing production line, as well as the volume required to break even. I've never seen a facility *other* than a glass factory that produced its own tubing, but I've seen a lot of factories, large multi-lab institutions, glass workshops, etc. that purchase it as raw stock.

But decide for yourself. The two processes you need to research are the Danner Process and the Vello Process. Both are pretty well explained on the web.

1. What are the main materials used in glass tube/pipe production?

The main materials used in glass tube/pipe production are silica sand, soda ash, limestone, and other additives such as borax and aluminum oxide.

2. What is the process of making glass tubes/pipes?

The process of making glass tubes/pipes involves melting the raw materials in a furnace at high temperatures, forming the molten glass into a cylindrical shape using a blowing or drawing technique, and then annealing the glass to strengthen it.

3. How are the dimensions and thickness of glass tubes/pipes determined?

The dimensions and thickness of glass tubes/pipes are determined by the size of the mold or die used in the production process. Different molds and dies can create tubes/pipes of varying sizes and thicknesses.

4. What are the common uses for glass tubes/pipes?

Glass tubes/pipes have a wide range of uses, including laboratory equipment, industrial piping, lighting fixtures, and decorative items. They are also commonly used in the production of electronic devices.

5. How is the quality of glass tubes/pipes ensured?

The quality of glass tubes/pipes is ensured through strict quality control measures, such as regular inspections and testing for strength, durability, and chemical resistance. The use of high-quality raw materials and proper production techniques also contribute to the overall quality of the products.