1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Glass wedge

1. Apr 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It's not a specific question. It's more of a general knowledge. As you know, an air wedge forms when two glass plates have one ends meeting each other and the other ends opening up.
    Here's the diagram: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_g3mLW-twYGc/R-EDX7CqirI/AAAAAAAAALc/v7csfR3s8Vc/s400/wedge1.bmp

And in this air wedge, a dark spot forms at the edge due to destructive interference.

But, what happens if the wedge is reversed? So instead of having two glass plates, what if there is a glass wedge with "air plates"?
    Would the pattern be inverted?

2. Relevant equations
    constructive 2t = (m+1/2) lambda
    destructive 2t = (m) lambda

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think the pattern will be the same because there is another destructive interference (a phase difference of pi) at the edge. Correct me if I am wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

" Relevant equations
    constructive 2t = (m+1/2) lambda
    destructive 2t = (m) lambda"

If the wedge is made from a medium of refractive index N, the equations will hold for N*t instead of t.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook