How Does the Formula for Acceleration in a Pulley System Work?

In summary: At the glider end of the string: ## m_1 a = T ##. At the mass end of the string: ## m_2 a = m_2 g - T ##. Note ## a ## is the same on both end because the mass and glider move together. So: ## a = m_1 a + m_2 g - T ##.
Yshai24

Homework Statement

A 230-g air track glider is connected to a string hanging over a frictionless pulley. A 100-g mass hangs from the other end of the string. a) Draw force diagrams for the glider and the hanging mass. b) Find the acceleration of each.

Homework Equations

F=ma
a=m2/(m1+m2) x g

The Attempt at a Solution

So I attempted solve this problem many ways. My textbook was not helping at all so I googled information on pulley systems. I got an example that fit this and I plugged in the numbers and got the answer to b. I don't need help with the free body diagram, just with understanding this.

The equation I found was a= m2/(m1+m2)x g. So I plugged in the values: a=.1kg/(.23kg+.1kg) x g=2.97m/s2

The problem is, I have no clue how that formula works or why it was used. I initially tried to solve the problem by adding the forces and dividing by the total mass, but I was kind of lost.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Solved I think

So right after I posted this, I think I solved it:

The two tension forces cancel out and the normal force on the glider and the weight force for the glider cancel out. So the only force remaining is the weight force on the 100g hanging mass right? So then I do:

w=(.1kg)(9.8m/s2)=.98N

a=.98N/.33=2.97m/s2

I tried this earlier but was only using the mass of the glider and not both objects. Though I still don't understand how the other equation in my first post worked?

At the glider end of the string: ## m_1 a = T ##. At the mass end of the string: ## m_2 a = m_2 g - T ##. Note ## a ## is the same on both end because the mass and glider move together. Solve for ## a ##.

1. How does a glider on a pulley system work?

A glider on a pulley system is a type of simple machine that uses a combination of gravity, tension, and friction to move an object along a track or cable. The glider, which is attached to the pulley by a rope or cable, can move back and forth along the track as the pulley rotates.

2. What are the advantages of using a glider on a pulley system?

One advantage of using a glider on a pulley system is that it requires less force to move an object compared to lifting it straight up. This makes it useful for lifting heavy objects, such as in construction or transportation. It also allows for smoother and more controlled movements.

3. What are the different types of gliders used in a pulley system?

The most common type of glider used in a pulley system is a simple block of wood or metal with wheels attached to the bottom. However, there are also specialized gliders, such as those with a hook or clamp, that are designed for specific purposes, such as lifting objects with handles or attaching to a specific type of track.

4. How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a glider on a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a glider on a pulley system can be calculated by dividing the weight of the object being lifted by the force applied to the rope or cable. For example, if an object weighs 100 pounds and you need to apply 10 pounds of force to lift it, the mechanical advantage would be 100/10 = 10. This means the system can lift the object with 10 times less force than would be required without the pulley system.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a glider on a pulley system?

Yes, it is important to always use caution when operating a glider on a pulley system. Make sure the system is set up correctly and that all connections are secure. It is also important to not overload the system and to always keep hands and fingers away from the moving parts. If possible, have someone assist you when using the system to ensure safe and smooth operation.