Glo igniter circuit indicator

• Thread starter livaday
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary: If you want the LED to light when the battery is dead, you will need to provide some power to the LED even when there is no current flowing through the glow plug.
livaday
For starting glo ignition model aircraft engines, I use an igniter that attaches to the glo plug via wires and a connector. The igniter contains (1) AA NiMH rechargeable battery, 1.2v, 2200 mAh.

I would like to insert an LED or other device in series in the positive lead which would light when either the battery is dead or the coil in the glo plug has failed. It should use an absolute minimum of current so as not to hinder the operation of the glo plug.

If anyone has a suggestion, I would love to hear it. I'm not an engineer, so keep it as simple as possible, thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If the LED must light when the battery is dead, then the LED must have its own power source.

You need to sense when current is flowing. Use a shunt of known resistance and measure the voltage drop across that. Then feed that signal to an inverting amplifier, and use the amplifier output to drive the LED.

If you don't know anything at all about circuit design, then I suggest contacting a local electronics hobbyist to help you. That will be more satisfactory than asking questions on the Internet.

livaday said:
light when either the battery is dead or the coil in the glo plug has failed

It would be much easier to make it so that when everything is OK then the light lights since then you have power for a circuit. 1.2V is challenging to work with. Can you use more cells?

BoB

livaday said:
For starting glo ignition model aircraft engines, I use an igniter that attaches to the glo plug via wires and a connector
What voltage is the glow plug normally designed to operate from? I would have expected 1.5 volts, which is more than your 1.2 volt cell.
When the leads are not connected to the glow plug, no current will flow, so the light will stay on to indicate an open glow plug circuit.

What is a Glo igniter circuit indicator?

A Glo igniter circuit indicator is a device used in rocketry and pyrotechnics to indicate when the igniter circuit has been properly connected and is ready to be activated.

How does a Glo igniter circuit indicator work?

The Glo igniter circuit indicator works by using a small light or LED to indicate when the circuit is complete. When the igniter is connected, the circuit is complete and the light will turn on, signaling that it is ready to be activated.

Why is a Glo igniter circuit indicator important?

A Glo igniter circuit indicator is important because it ensures that the igniter circuit is properly connected and ready to be activated. This is crucial for the success and safety of any rocket or pyrotechnic launch, as a faulty or incomplete circuit could lead to a failed launch or potential injury.

Can a Glo igniter circuit indicator be used in all types of rockets or pyrotechnic devices?

Yes, a Glo igniter circuit indicator can be used in a variety of rockets and pyrotechnic devices, including model rockets, larger rockets, and fireworks. It is a versatile and useful tool for ensuring the proper functioning of the igniter circuit in any type of launch.

Is a Glo igniter circuit indicator reusable?

It depends on the specific design and construction of the Glo igniter circuit indicator. Some may be designed for single use, while others may be reusable. It is important to carefully read the instructions and specifications for each individual indicator to determine if it is reusable or not.