Solving Glob on Table Homework: Final Speed & Angular Velocity

• Thread starter Smartguy94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Table
In summary, a glob of clay with a mass of 0.72 kg strikes a bar with a mass of 1.34 kg perpendicularly at a point 0.23 m from the center of the bar and sticks to it on a frictionless table. The bar is 1.22 m long and the clay is initially moving at 8.3 m/s. The final speed of the center of mass is 2.901 m/s. To calculate the angular speed, the linear velocity and distance from the center of rotation are needed. For the clay, the distance is 0.1496 m and the angular speed is 55.477 rad/s. For the bar, the distance is 0.080
Smartguy94

Homework Statement

On a frictionless table, a glob of clay of mass 0.72 kg strikes a bar of mass 1.34 kg perpendicularly at a point 0.23 m from the center of the bar and sticks to it.

If the bar is 1.22 m long and the clay is moving at 8.3 m/s before striking the bar, what is the final speed of the center of mass?

At what angular speed does the bar/clay system rotate about its center of mass after the impact?

2. The attempt at a solution

Here is what I did

Vcm = sum(mi*vi) / total mass

in this case just one body has velocity:
Mclay = .72 kg
Mbr = 1.34 Kg
Mtotal = 2.06 kg
Vclay = 8.3 m/s

Vcm = 2.901 m/s

which is correct, I got the first part, but here is the second part that I got wrong

now calculate the angular speed:

angular speed - omega

omega = v /r

v - is the linear velocity on the trajectory of the body (tangential velocity)
r - is the distance between the body which rotate and the center of rotation

in your case the centre of rotation is the center of mass and r is the distance of the clay to the centre of mass

D = 1.22 m
d = 0.23 m

the centre of the bar related to one end is D/2
the position of the clay related to the same end is d+D/2

Xcm = [Mclay *(d+D/2)+Mbr*(D/2) ]/Mtotal

Xcm = .6904 m position of the center of mass

the angular velocit of the clay:

omega clay = Vclay / D1

D1=(d+D/2)-Xcm = .1496 m

omega clay = 55.477 rad/s

now about the bar:

the center of the bar is situated related to the center of mass at:

Dbar = Xcm - D/2 = .0804 m

If you assume that the bar when it rotate has the same tangential velocity v = 8.3 m/s

omega bar = 8.3 / 0.0804 = 103.249 rad/s

the question is asking about At what angular speed does the bar/clay system rotate about its center of mass after the impact?

and so I add up both the omega of the bar and the clay and got 158.726 rad/s
but it's wrong

Can anyone tell me where my mistake is?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the definition of "glob" in this context?

In this context, "glob" refers to the object or mass that is being studied in the given problem.

2. How do you calculate the final speed of the glob on the table?

To calculate the final speed of the glob, you need to use the equation: final speed = initial speed + acceleration x time. The initial speed is generally assumed to be zero unless given otherwise, and the acceleration can be calculated using the equation: acceleration = change in velocity / time. Simply plug in the values given in the problem to solve for the final speed.

3. What is the formula for calculating angular velocity?

The formula for angular velocity is: angular velocity = angular displacement / time. Angular displacement is the change in angle over a given time period, and it is typically measured in radians or degrees. Time is measured in seconds.

4. Can you explain the difference between linear velocity and angular velocity?

Linear velocity refers to the speed of an object in a straight line, while angular velocity refers to the speed of an object as it rotates around a fixed point. Linear velocity is measured in units like meters per second, while angular velocity is measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

5. How can I use the information about final speed and angular velocity to solve the glob on table homework problem?

The final speed and angular velocity are both key pieces of information that can be used to solve the problem. You can use the formulas mentioned in the previous questions to calculate these values, and then use them in other equations to solve for other unknown variables. It is important to carefully read the problem and determine which equations and values are relevant in order to successfully solve the problem.