Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Global Dimming, Less Light Reaching Us

1. May 31, 2004 #1
    Hello Everyone,

If global warming wasn't enough, we now have "global dimming" to add to the equation. Although i get a funky feeling in the pit of my stomach both global warming and global dimming are inter-connected. :grumpy:

Here's a Link at the British media outlet of the Guardian. (article dated December 2003)

They've stated that it's mostly soot/dust from air pollution to have the most consisent effect on sunlight penetrating through the Earth's atmosphere. There can be also other factors, such as major volanic eruptions. Perhaps what Saddam did to the environment in the first Gulf War of 1991. Lighting up all those oil drills like flares. Perhaps even the decades ago atomic/nuclear bomb testing above the ground.

This kinda reminds me of one of those "Highlander" movies with Christorpher Lambert & Sean Connery set in a futuristic Earth. Where a technology to protect the Earth from a fully depleted ozone actually turns the world to complete darkness in a few decades. Hmm. :uhh:

The good news is i think the article mentions this:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2004 #2

Yeah it is now so dim that I don't even need to use my sun glasses. JK :rofl: .

Depleted Ozone? Do you even know how it is created?

1% decrease in light yields 1% decrease in productivity? Wow that means that all those people with night jobs get nothing done.

Metal pans filled with water, in what one city? one building? That does not sound scientific.

Atrayo, This is just alarmist pap. Do not get taken in by it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?