Discovering Global Extrema for f(x,y)=sin(x) + cos(y) on [0,2π]x[0,2π]

In summary: In general, yes. The reason is somewhat technical, and if you don't understand the rest of this paragraph, you can just accept the answer and safely skip on to the next one. Loosely speaking again, you cannot be assured that the 'edge' of the domain allows analysis. For instance, let the domain be the interior of the rectangle along with some points along the edge thrown in for good measure. Then finding the max of a function on that domain could require you to evaluate the function at those extra points on the edge one by one. Of course, if there were a lot of them, then you could be in it for the long haul. The good news is that the teacher would have the same amount of work to do
mathrocks
I'm supposed to find the absolute max and min for f(x,y)=sin(x) +cos(y) on the rectangle defined by 0<=x<=2*pi 0<=y<=2*pi. Can someone point me in the right direction. I got the critical points but i don't know what to do after that.

Physics news on Phys.org
mathrocks said:
I'm supposed to find the absolute max and min for f(x,y)=sin(x) +cos(y) on the rectangle defined by 0<=x<=2*pi 0<=y<=2*pi. Can someone point me in the right direction. I got the critical points but i don't know what to do after that.

This can be solved with a few elementary facts concerning the sin and cos functions and no calculus at all.

First, disregarding the rectangle for a moment, it is obvious that f(x,y) must lie between -2 and 2 inclusive for any x and y, because both sin(x) and cos(y) lie between -1 and 1 inclusive, and f(x,y) is the sum of these two.

Second, it is easy to find a pair (x,y) in the rectangle where the values of -2 and 2 are actually attained. For instance if x = PI/2 and y = 0 then f(x,y) = 2. I leave -2 for you to do.

Since f(x,y) attains the values of -2 and 2 on the rectangle, and these values cannot be exceeded for any (x,y), they must be the absolute max and min.

jimmysnyder said:
This can be solved with a few elementary facts concerning the sin and cos functions and no calculus at all.

First, disregarding the rectangle for a moment, it is obvious that f(x,y) must lie between -2 and 2 inclusive for any x and y, because both sin(x) and cos(y) lie between -1 and 1 inclusive, and f(x,y) is the sum of these two.

Second, it is easy to find a pair (x,y) in the rectangle where the values of -2 and 2 are actually attained. For instance if x = PI/2 and y = 0 then f(x,y) = 2. I leave -2 for you to do.

Since f(x,y) attains the values of -2 and 2 on the rectangle, and these values cannot be exceeded for any (x,y), they must be the absolute max and min.

How do I do this using calculus though, so I know what to do for other problems that arise. I know I must find the partial derviative for f(x,y) and find the critical values of each of those, which I believe are (pi/2, pi), (3*pi/2, 2*pi). Then I'm suppose to do something with the rectangle but I'm not sure what?

mathrocks said:
Then I'm suppose to do something with the rectangle but I'm not sure what?

You need to check the value of f(x,y) along the perimeter of the rectangle.

Consider the fact that the maximum value of the function f(x) = x on the interval from 0 to 1 occurs at the point x = 1 where the maximum value is f(1) = 1. At that point, f'(x) = 1, not 0. So looking for points where f'(x) = 0, while necessary, is not sufficient. Loosely speaking, you need to examine the edges of the domain as well as the points where the derivative is zero.

jimmysnyder said:
You need to check the value of f(x,y) along the perimeter of the rectangle.

Consider the fact that the maximum value of the function f(x) = x on the interval from 0 to 1 occurs at the point x = 1 where the maximum value is f(1) = 1. At that point, f'(x) = 1, not 0. So looking for points where f'(x) = 0, while necessary, is not sufficient. Loosely speaking, you need to examine the edges of the domain as well as the points where the derivative is zero.

Ok, I'm starting to understand this a little better now. Now my new question is when you have the domain be something like 0<=x<=2*pi, 0<=y<=2*pi, do you have to actually go through each value and see which combination gives you a maximum? Because in the case of f(x,y)=sin(x)+cos(y), the endpoints don't yield a maximum.

mathrocks said:
do you have to actually go through each value and see which combination gives you a maximum?

In general, yes. The reason is somewhat technical, and if you don't understand the rest of this paragraph, you can just accept the answer and safely skip on to the next one. Loosely speaking again, you cannot be assured that the 'edge' of the domain allows analysis. For instance, let the domain be the interior of the rectangle along with some points along the edge thrown in for good measure. Then finding the max of a function on that domain could require you to evaluate the function at those extra points on the edge one by one. Of course, if there were a lot of them, then you could be in it for the long haul. The good news is that the teacher would have the same amount of work to do in order to check your answer, so it probably won't happen to you while you are in school.

However in particular cases you may be able to do better. In fact, for the case at hand, you can look for the extrema along each of the 4 edges by looking for points where the partials are 0 and then evaluate the function at each of the 4 corners.

jimmysnyder said:
However in particular cases you may be able to do better. In fact, for the case at hand, you can look for the extrema along each of the 4 edges by looking for points where the partials are 0 and then evaluate the function at each of the 4 corners.

That's the thing, when I look for the points where the partials are 0, I get
(x=pi/2), (x=3*pi/2) and (y=pi), (y=2*pi). And when I evaluate the function at the corners which are (x=0), (x=2*pi), (y=0), (y=2*pi), I get x=0, x=0, y=1, y=1. So I don't see how I can get -2,2 even though I know I should.

mathrocks said:
So I don't see how I can get -2,2 even though I know I should.

So you need to look at the following points:

1. The points in the interior of the rectangle where the partials are 0.

2. The points along the sides where the partials are 0.

3. The corners.

The largest value of f(x,y) among the union of these three sets of points is the absolute maximum. Similarly for the minimum value.

[tex] f(x)=:\sin x+\cos y [/tex]

The condition for extremum-------->critical points.

[tex] \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} =0 ;\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}= 0[/tex]

The type of extremum---------->

Hess(f)|_{sol.critical points} ? 0

Daniel.

P.S.If the hessian is the positive,then it's a minimum,if it's negative,it's a maximum,if it's zero,it's a saddle point...

1. What is a global extrema question?

A global extrema question is a type of math problem that asks you to find the highest or lowest point of a given function over a specific interval. This point is known as the global maximum or minimum of the function.

2. How do you find the global extrema of a function?

To find the global extrema of a function, you first need to find the critical points by taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero. Then, use the first or second derivative test to determine if each critical point is a local maximum or minimum. Finally, compare all the local extrema to determine the global extrema.

3. How is a global extrema question different from a local extrema question?

A global extrema question asks for the highest or lowest point of a function over a specific interval, while a local extrema question only asks for the highest or lowest point on a specific point or interval. Local extrema do not necessarily represent the global extrema of a function.

4. Can a function have multiple global extrema?

Yes, a function can have multiple global extrema. This happens when the function has multiple local extrema that are all the same value. In this case, all of these points would be considered the global extrema of the function.

5. Why is finding global extrema important?

Finding global extrema is important because it allows us to identify the highest and lowest points of a function, which can provide valuable information for real-world applications. It also helps us understand the overall behavior of the function and can be used to optimize certain processes or systems.