1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Global max/min on disc

1. Jul 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

find the global extrema on the disc [tex] x^2 + y^2 \le 1[/tex]

given the function [tex]f(x,y)=xy+5y[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

For the interior of the disc

[tex]\nabla f = <y,x+5>[/tex]

the critical point is (0,-5)

for the boundary of the disc
    using lagrange multipliers

[tex] \left\{\begin{array}{cc}y=\lambda 2x \\ x+5 = \lambda 2y \\ x^2+y^2 =1 \end{array}\right.[/tex]

solving for lambda

[tex] \lambda = \frac{y}{2x}; \lambda = \frac{x+5}{2y} [/tex]
    [tex]\frac{y}{2x}=\frac{x+5}{2y} \Rightarrow y = \pm \sqrt{x(x+5)}[/tex]
    now,
    [tex]x^2 + (\pm \sqrt{x(x+5)})^2 = 1 \Rightarrow x = \frac{1}{4}(\pm\sqrt{33}-5)[/tex]
    subbing the x value into
    [tex]y = \pm \sqrt{x(x+5)} \Rightarrow \pm \sqrt{\frac{1}{8}(5 \sqrt{33} - 21)}[/tex]

I know to test those critical points in the original function but before I go further I want to make sure I have done everything up to it correctly

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I got the same numbers using a different method.

4. Jul 12, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Be careful: one of your ##x =\frac{1}{4}(\sqrt{33}-5)## and ## x =\frac{1}{4}(-\sqrt{33}-5)## is incorrect; do you see why?

It would have been less troublesome to use the Lagrangian stationary conditions to solve for ##x,y## as functions of ##\lambda##, then use these expressions in the constraint to get a single equation for ##\lambda##. The two roots for ##\lambda## correspond to the min and the max, and when you then use those values in the ##x,y## expressions you are done: no ##\pm## problems to worry about.

5. Jul 12, 2014 #4
    I am not currently aware of Lagrangian stationary conditions. I will use my googles but I always welcome better ways to do a problems. especially ones with less than optimal results.

I'll check those x values in the morning.

EDIT:

I found something about creating a new function and taking partials

[tex]F(x,y,z,\lambda)=f(x,y,z) - \lambda(g(x,y,z)-k)[/tex]

and take the partials for x,y,z,lambda

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  6. Jul 12, 2014 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are aware of the conditions: you used them! They are just the two equations ##x+5 = 2 \lambda y## and ##y = 2 \lambda x##. These are the "stationarity" conditions for the Lagrangian function ##L = f(x,y) - \lambda g(x,y)## in the problem
    [tex] \min f(x,y)\\
    \text{subject to } g(x,y) = 0[/tex]

BTW: the Lagrangian ##L## plays an important role in second-order tests for maxima and minima, but more on that later.

7. Jul 12, 2014 #6
    ah, okay thank you. I just hadn't heard that terminology used yet.

8. Jul 12, 2014 #7
    I went through it again, got the same number. I am not seeing why one of the x values is incorrect

9. Jul 13, 2014 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Whenever you use nonlinear manipulations (squaring equations, and the like) you can introduce false solutions, that is, so-called solutions that do not satisfy the original equations you started with. Check both ##x = (1/4)(\sqrt{33}-5)## and ##x = (1/4)(-\sqrt{33}-5)##. There is no way that one of them can possibly satisfy ##x^2 + y^2 \leq 1## for any real value of ##y##. If you don't believe it, try evaluating them numerically.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted