Show Global Min. of f(x,y): x>= 0.1, y>= 0.1

• Thread starter ArnfinnS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Global
In summary, using the extremal value theorem, we have shown that the function f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 +(xy)^-1 has a global minimum at x=y=1/(2^(1/4)) on the area x>= 0.1 ,y>= 0.1. We have also argued that the same is true for x>0 and y>0 by finding the critical point u=v=1/2 and using the inverse substitution to get x=y=2.
ArnfinnS
hi. I've got another problem.

i have the function :
f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 +(xy)^-1

iam supposed to use the "extremalvalue theorem" to show that this function have a global minimum on the area x>= 0.1 ,y>= 0.1

and i also need to argue if the same thing is satisfied for x>0 and y>0.

for this one , there is given a hint : to set u=1/x and v=1/y..and then iam supposed to look at the function f(x,y) = g(u,v)

First of all , I tried to find the partials which i think is :
f_x = 2x - (1/(x^2*y))
f_y = 2y -(x/(y^2*x))

how can i do this? Can anyone help me?

i got that the function has local minimum in the point x=y= 1/(2^(1/4))
if this is a local minimum , can i then directly say that it has to be a global minimum for x>0 and y>0 ?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Yes, you are on the right track with finding the partial derivatives of the function. To use the extremal value theorem, we need to show that the function has a critical point (where both partial derivatives are equal to 0) and that it is a minimum point.

To find the critical point, we can set the partial derivatives equal to 0 and solve for x and y. We get x=y=1/(2^(1/4)) as you mentioned. However, we also need to check that this point satisfies the given conditions of x>= 0.1 and y>= 0.1. Since 1/(2^(1/4)) is approximately 0.84, it does satisfy the given conditions.

Now, to show that this point is a minimum, we can use the second derivative test. Taking the second derivatives, we get:

f_xx = 2 + 2/(x^3*y)
f_yy = 2 + 2/(y^3*x)
f_xy = -1/(x^2*y^2)

Plugging in x=y=1/(2^(1/4)), we get:

f_xx = 4 + 2/(1/8) = 4 + 16 = 20
f_yy = 4 + 2/(1/8) = 4 + 16 = 20
f_xy = -1/(1/16) = -16

Using the discriminant (D = f_xx*f_yy - f_xy^2), we get D = 20*20 - (-16)^2 = 400 - 256 = 144. Since D > 0 and f_xx > 0, we can conclude that this point is a local minimum.

Now, to show that it is a global minimum for x>0 and y>0, we can use the hint given and set u=1/x and v=1/y. This means that f(x,y) = g(u,v) = u^2 + v^2 + uv. We can find the partial derivatives of g(u,v) and set them equal to 0 to find the critical point. We get u=v=1/2.

Using the inverse of our substitution, we get x=y=2. This point satisfies the given conditions of x>0 and y>0, and since it is the only critical point found, it

To show the global minimum of a function, we need to find the point where the function has the lowest value in the given domain. In this case, we are given the domain x>= 0.1 and y>= 0.1. To use the "extremal value theorem", we need to find the critical points of the function within this domain.

Using the partial derivatives you have found, we can set them equal to 0 to find the critical points:

f_x = 2x - (1/(x^2*y)) = 0
f_y = 2y -(x/(y^2*x)) = 0

Solving these equations, we get x = y = 1/√2, which is within the given domain. This means that the point (1/√2, 1/√2) is a critical point and could potentially be the global minimum.

To confirm this, we can use the second derivative test to check if this point is a minimum or maximum. Taking the second partial derivatives, we get:

f_xx = 2 + (2/(x^3*y))
f_xy = -(1/(x^2*y^2))
f_yy = 2 + (2/(y^3*x))

Evaluating these at x=y=1/√2, we get f_xx = f_yy = 6 and f_xy = -4. This means that the point (1/√2, 1/√2) is a local minimum.

Now, to show that this is also a global minimum, we need to show that there are no other points within the given domain that have a lower value than this point. Since the function is continuous and differentiable within the given domain, we can use the "extremal value theorem" to conclude that the global minimum must occur at either the critical point we found or at the boundaries of the domain.

To check the boundaries, we can use the hint given and set u=1/x and v=1/y. This will transform the function into g(u,v) = u^2 + v^2 + u*v. We can then use the same process as before to find the critical points of this new function.

Setting the partial derivatives of g(u,v) equal to 0, we get u = v = 1/√2, which is equivalent to x=y

1. What is a global minimum in terms of function f(x,y)?

A global minimum is the lowest value that a function can achieve over its entire domain. In other words, it is the smallest output of the function when all possible input values are considered.

2. How can I show the global minimum of a function with constraints?

The best way to show the global minimum of a function with constraints is by using a graph or visualization tool. By plotting the function with the given constraints, you can easily identify the lowest point on the graph, which represents the global minimum.

3. Why is it important to find the global minimum of a function?

Finding the global minimum of a function is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function and make informed decisions. It can also help us optimize processes and solve real-world problems in various fields such as economics, engineering, and science.

4. Can there be more than one global minimum for a function?

No, there can only be one global minimum for a function. This is because the global minimum is defined as the lowest value over the entire domain of the function. If there were multiple global minima, they would all have the same value, and therefore, they would not be the global minimum.

5. What is the difference between a local minimum and a global minimum?

A local minimum is the lowest value of a function within a specific region, while a global minimum is the lowest value of a function over its entire domain. In other words, a local minimum may not be the overall lowest value of the function, but it is the lowest within a particular range of inputs.