Is Global Warming Responsible for My Amazing Astrophotography?

In summary, the conversation touches on the poster's ability to consistently capture images of the Orion Nebula during a clear and warm winter night. The conversation then shifts to a discussion of global warming and its impact on winter weather, with the poster sharing their perspective and experience. The conversation also briefly mentions the possibility of using remote control solutions for telescope imaging and the challenge of focus shift due to temperature instability.
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
It's awesome because I am able to be outside imaging during January. No snow on the ground and not unreasonably cold. This is the first year I've been able to consistently image Orion- here's a full-frame and 100% crop of Orion Nebula, 21m total exposure, 800/5.6 ISO varied from 640-2000, 6s exposures, minimal post-processing (color, contrast, etc.), the posterization is from the file conversion, I think.

orion%2021m.TIF%20RGB_zpsjceeyws7.jpg

orion%2021m.TIF%20RGB-1_zpsstkpht4j.jpg

Last night was exceptionally clear (for Cleveland), so I tried to capture the Horsehead nebula knowing that it is a challenge for those of us without specialized filters and sensors. I'm posting this only because you can actually see a faint shadow, 21 minutes at ISO 4000 (!), with post-processing contrast adjustment set practically to a step function:

horsehead%2021m%20iso4000.TIF%20RGB_zpshutayq5p.jpg

Alas, the clouds are moving back in...

Likes davenn and berkeman
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Come now. A warm winter is no better a proof of global warming than a cold one is a disproof.

This is a global, long-term issue, that can't be judged by how much snow is behind one's window.

Great pictures though. :)

Likes bapowell
Well, NASA certainly buys into the Global warming theory. And my recollection of severe winters and average temperatures of 40 years seems to also agree with the data. I am originally from the plains in the Midwest where aside from the more severe storms, the winters seem a lot milder.

Andy Resnick said:
It's awesome because I am able to be outside imaging during January. No snow on the ground and not unreasonably cold. This is the first year I've been able to consistently image...
What, you don't own a shovel and a jacket? Besides, the telescope and laptop do most of the work while you're inside sitting on the couch! To me this is an issue of commitment...

Nice pics, though. :biggrin:

[more helpful...]
If you haven't looked into remote control solutions, you should. I've still got some ground to cover, but all of my monitoring and much of my control is done from my couch. My telescope is fairly close -- about 20' away, which puts it in range of a USB cable. From there, a hub connects to telescope control and cameras.

One of my biggest current limitations is focus shift due to temperature instability. It means I often have to go outside and refocus as much as once an hour. I'll need to work on that...

Likes davenn
russ_watters said:
One of my biggest current limitations is focus shift due to temperature instability. It means I often have to go outside and refocus as much as once an hour. I'll need to work on that...

remotely driven focus motor :wink:
they are available... focus motors, that is

Thanks for the comments-
Bandersnatch said:
Come now.
CalcNerd said:
Well,

No need to be so serious!

russ_watters said:
Besides, the telescope and laptop do most of the work while you're inside sitting on the couch!

You must suffer for your art! :)

russ_watters said:
If you haven't looked into remote control solutions, you should. I've still got some ground to cover, but all of my monitoring and much of my control is done from my couch. My telescope is fairly close -- about 20' away, which puts it in range of a USB cable. From there, a hub connects to telescope control and cameras.

If I set up a permanent mount, I agree remote control would be nice. You are right about thermal drift- even if I pre-cool the lens, I have to fine-tune the focus every few minutes or so for another hour until everything settles.

Here's after post-processing:
orion%2021m-1_zpsput26jen.jpg

Likes Drakkith and fresh_42
Andy Resnick said:
If I set up a permanent mount, I agree remote control would be nice.
My mount is semi-permanent in that it is sitting on a tripod on my deck, under a cover, and has been for about 2 years. I don't have an observatory/dome, but by far the hardest/most time consuming part of the setup is the alignment, so leaving the mount outside is a big help.

The problem with the global warming issue is sample size and modeling. Earth's climate has historically varied over cycles spanning thousands of years, yet we feign the ability to modify it based on weak short term [about a century] data and undeniably uncertain climate models.

Likes D English

1. What is global warming?

Global warming refers to the long-term increase in Earth's average surface temperature, primarily caused by human activities such as burning fossil fuels and deforestation.

2. Why is global warming considered a problem?

Global warming is considered a problem because it leads to numerous negative effects on the environment, including rising sea levels, more frequent and severe natural disasters, and disruptions to ecosystems and wildlife.

3. Is global warming really caused by human activity?

There is overwhelming scientific evidence that human activities are the main cause of global warming. This includes the increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide levels and the correlation between human emissions and rising temperatures.

4. Can global warming have any positive effects?

While some may argue that global warming has potential benefits such as longer growing seasons or increased access to resources in the Arctic, the negative impacts far outweigh any potential positives. The overall consequences of global warming are detrimental to our planet and all living beings.

5. Can we do anything to stop global warming?

Yes, we can take action to slow down and eventually stop global warming. This includes reducing our carbon footprint by using renewable energy sources, practicing sustainable living, and advocating for policy changes that prioritize the health of our planet.

Back